iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Halloween Scary Movie Thread (2008 -2011) (Page 16)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18   
Author Topic: Halloween Scary Movie Thread (2008 -2011)
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Day 13:

-

In New York, a man in a cop's uniform starts killing people for no apparent reason. -- IMDb

I think it's a bit of a stretch, calling this a Horror, but I'm going to include it anyway.

-  -  - out of 5

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

The action continues from [Rec], with the medical officer and a SWAT team outfitted with video cameras are sent into the sealed off apartment to control the situation. -- IMDB

-  -  -  - out of 5

Oct 2nd -- Near Dark (4/5)
Oct 3rd -- Hatchet (2.5/5)
Oct 4th -- The Shining (4.5/5) + The Howling (3/5)
Oct 5th -- Basket Case (2.5/5)
Oct 6th -- Sleepaway Camp(2/5)
Oct 7th -- An American Werewolf In London (4/5)
Oct 8th -- Alien Raiders (1.5/5) + Resident Evil (3.5/5) + Fright Night (3.5/5)
Oct 9th -- Resident Evil: Apocalypse (3/5) + Mimic (3/5) + An American Werewolf in Paris (1.5/5)
Oct 10th -- The Quartermass Experiment(3/5) + Quartermass II (3/5) + The Exorcist (4.5/5) + Insidious(3.5/5)
Oct 11th -- Hatchet II (2/5)
Oct 12th -- Scre4m (3/5)
Oct 13th -- Maniac Cop(2.5/5) + [Rec] ² (3.5/5)

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J2ME:
Day 13:

-

In New York, a man in a cop's uniform starts killing people for no apparent reason. -- IMDb

I think it's a bit of a stretch, calling this a Horror, but I'm going to include it anyway.

-  -  - out of 5

This is one I've always wanted to see! I've seen part 3, but that's it.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love Maniac Cop [Big Grin] It's absolutely a horror in my eyes. Haven't seen the sequels.

Week 2:

Tamara (2005) - 6
Savage Streets - 7
The House That Dripped Blood - 10
Hellish Flesh - 6
And Now The Screaming Starts - 8
The Dog Who Saved Halloween - 6 Obviously not horror lol, but as it's Halloween I chucked it in.
Bloody Mary (2006) - 3
Wages Of Sin (2006) - 5
Hallucinations Of A Deranged Mind - 7

Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
Day 14:

-

Hey, Ted, where's that corkscrew? You know, that fancy corkscrew for the wine bottle? Ted. Ted? TED! HEY, TED, where the hell is the corkscrew?

-

-  -  - out of 5

One of my favourites from the series. It has a darker tone than the preceding movies.

BTW, I watched the HDTV rip that's floating around the net, not the DVD. The image is just to show how generic the covers have become.

Edit:

This is the Blu-ray cover for Final Chapter. No mention of the release date though.

-

Oct 9th -- Resident Evil: Apocalypse (3/5) + Mimic (3/5) + An American Werewolf in Paris (1.5/5)
Oct 10th -- The Quartermass Experiment(3/5) + Quartermass II (3/5) + The Exorcist (4.5/5) + Insidious(3.5/5)
Oct 12th -- Scre4m (3/5)
Oct 14th -- Friday The 13th: The Final Chapter (3/5)

[ 15. October 2011, 05:45: Message edited by: J2ME ]

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, those covers are awful  -
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
I made a few edits while Helen was posting. She is referring to the new DVD covers, not the Blu-ray.

-

Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
October 15th, 2011

-

My thought is Crash will probably appreciate this movie. I personally rank "Suspiria" as Dario Argento's greatest work and I appreciate both "Tenebre" and "Phenomena" from the 80's as excellent horror films. Crash.. why is the book in the movie titled "Tenebrae", but the movie "Tenebre"?

-

Anyway.. I actually thought "Inferno" was a very stylish supernatural thriller which centered around the idea that three ancient mothers–witches–live inside custom built structures in three major cities. Rose Elliot becomes obsessed with the story behind these witches, which soon puts everyone she knows and loves in great danger. Essentially, "Inferno" is a nightmarish haunted house film with incredibly spooky moments and rather gory death scenes. And if you are a cat-lover .. beware!

While the first part of this supposed trilogy, "Susperia", is regarded as a masterpiece of sorts.. it appears Inferno‘s reputation is not nearly as solid though it doesn’t quite get the thrashing that the final installment, 2007‘s "Mother of Tears", receives. Though I've yet to see it to truly give my opinion.

I know several of you are probably shocked to find out that I enjoyed this movie since it is out of my normal scope of horror viewing, but let me bring the guy in the pic above in a little closer for a second look to explain it better..

-

That's right "Just One of the Guys" fans.. one of the stars of "Inferno" is Leigh McCloskey or better known to many of us .. Kevina! I have to admit that he was actually the weakest link in this film, but maybe that was just because his 70's looking mustache was so distracting. ha!

-

Overall, I thought "inferno' was visually shocking and way creepy. Especially the underwater hole in the basement floor scene with Irene Miracle that was just stunning to watch and made the movie for me. 'Beautifully chilling' might be a better description.

So I've got to mention Daria Nicolodi the long-term partner of Dario Argento who was great in this film, but more than her acting.. I need to share this statement she made years later in a magazine article:

"I wrote Suspiria for Argento... title, subject and script. The inspiration came from a tale my grandmother, Yvonne, used to tell me when I was a child, after an experience she had in a northern acting academy where she discovered the teachers were teaching arts, but also black magic. I was fond of this story of her's more than Pinnocchio by Collodi, and when I told it to Dario it was natural for him to fall in love with it too. It was his first step from thrillers to fantasy-alchemy movies and we did it together."

-

This interesting picture of Ania Pieroni from "Inferno" makes me so wish now that the final installment of thsi trilogy had been made in the 80's. If you are looking at the picture and thinking you know that girl from something.. my first thought is "Tenebre" mentioned above. But it could be "The House By Cemetary" for some of you horror fans.

[ 15. October 2011, 17:04: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
The film is spelt Tenebrae here. Inferno is one of the few Argento films I don't rate highly. Just does nothing for me this one.
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tip o' the hat, Valley. Inferno is terrific. For years it was very hard to see. Despite having a big hit with Suspiria, 20th Century-Fox kept this in the vault, unreleased, for years. They then put it out on VHS, but no one ever saw a copy.The later Anchor Bay DVD was a blessing. This is a a gorgeous looking film with Argento's beautiful use of color and startlingly creepy scenes. I agree that Suspiria is Argento's greatest film, but Inferno is excellent. Sadly, the trilogy ended with the ludicrous The Mother of Tears, one of his worst. Argento is possibly the greatest, yet least known, world-class director ever.

I believe that Tenebrae is the genitive case in Latin and means "of shadows." Tenebre means simply "shadows."

Check it out!

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
[Mad] We are only allowed to disagree once a month [Razz]
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, go watch "Hisss"! ROFL
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
I'm going to tomorrow. I just looked at the first few minutes, wtf LOL
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My recent selection was Trick or Treat! One of the best soundtracks for me. Took me two nights to watch though cause I fell asleep! Rock on Sammi Curr!
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I am with you 80's. Trick or Treat is very underrated.
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched John Carpenter's The Ward. It was very good. I also watched Graveyard Shift again, the first time I'd seen it in ages. I'm sure I'll dream about giant rats lol.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

J- I'm surprised you only gave Sleepaway Camp 2/5. It's a little too classic for me to only be 2. Note: NEVER see Return to Sleepaway Camp. It's awful. Good news though, Angela and Rick come back for it. That is the only good news.

It rots.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
Devo,

I don't think I was really in the mood to watch "Sleepaway Camp" when I did.

I'm going to watch it again soon.

Last few days:

Dawn of The Dead (1978)

-

-

"Dawn of the Dead" is a classic of it's genre.

I watched the Romero Cut. Anybody prefer Argento's version?

Fright Night 2 (1988)

My appreciation for this has increased over the last few years, but I still find it weak compared to "Fright Night".

Traci Lind & Julie Carmen are awesome to look at though..  -

Oct 12th -- Scre4m (3/5)
Oct 16th -- Dawn of The Dead (4.5/5)
Oct 17th -- Fright Night 2 (2.5/5)

cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Scored this for $10 at Wal-Mart tonight!! Yes!!! Never saw this but I recently purchased the first one on blu-ray! Lovin' their prices! Couldn't pass this up!

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've watched halloween 4 director dwight h little's 1989 version of the phantom of the opera starring robert englund and jill schoelen,enjoyed it a lot!
http://youtu.be/IkBADe65qzQ phantom of the opera music vid.

also watched the creepshow style anthology campfire tales from 1997,that was also very good
http://youtu.be/PZS6GOIOYZc - campfire tales trailer.

watched my new region 4 dvd of the wraith,first time i watched it in widescreen,blows my old region 1 full frame away,picture is superb by comparison.

last one i watched is the unnameable from 1988 based on a story by h p lovecraft,also found this one a lot of fun!
http://youtu.be/9rm_cKzAKZg the unnameable trailer .

cindy i've heard poltergeist 2 on blu ray looks and sounds really good- http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Poltergeist-II-The-Other-Side-Blu-ray/20310/#UserReviews .

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
Day 19:

Last nights viewing:

-

-  -  -  - out of 5

Oct 12th -- Scre4m (3/5)
Oct 19th -- Poltergeist (4/5)

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
"Dawn of the Dead" is a classic of it's genre.

I watched the Romero Cut. Anybody prefer Argento's version?

J2ME, I have this film in more versions that you can imagine--from a blurry PAL copy of the Argento cut to the "ultimate" DVD version. I like Argento's version. I've seen Dawn so many times that the Argento cut felt like a different film to me. Have you seen the "non-theatrical version," that is, the version that orignally was rented in 16mm to college campuses? It's actually longer than the director's cut, as I recall. Tom Savini once said that there is a "German TV version" floating around that has most of the violence removed. That must be similar to the ill-fated "R" rated U.S. re-release of the film along with "Creepshow" in 1982. It ran for exactly one week, lots of folks complained, and it got pulled. A friend of mine actually saw it out of curiosity (he's the only person I've ever met who has), and he said that everything was a cut-away--the shotgun is pulled up, it's fired, and then the film cuts away without showing what happened... He said that it was just terrible!

Too many versions! ROFL.

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
Crash,

I've only ever seen the US theatrical cut. I might check out the Argento version later, I'm interested to see just how much it differs.

quote:
Originally posted by Crash:

That must be similar to the ill-fated "R" rated U.S. re-release of the film along with "Creepshow" in 1982. It ran for exactly one week, lots of folks complained, and it got pulled. A friend of mine actually saw it out of curiosity (he's the only person I've ever met who has), and he said that everything was a cut-away--the shotgun is pulled up, it's fired, and then the film cuts away without showing what happened... He said that it was just terrible!

Too many versions! ROFL.

-  -

Day 20:

Last night:

-

Survivors of the Raccoon City catastrophe travel across the Nevada desert, hoping to make it to Alaska. Alice joins the caravan and their fight against the evil Umbrella Corp. -- IMDb

-  -  - out of 5

Oct 12th -- Scre4m (3/5)
Oct 19th -- Poltergeist (4/5)
Oct 20th -- Resident Evil: Extinction (3/5)

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Week 3:

Alien - 8
Murders In The Rue Morgue (1932) - 4
Basket Case III - 7
Stake Land - 6
Splice - 7
I Saw The Devil - 7 More thriller really but whatever [Razz]
Joshua (2007) - 5 First hour was awful, but I liked the rest.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
watched brainscan 1994 starring edward furlong and directed by john flynn,really cool movie,first time i've watched it in widescreen and uncut,really dig the atmospheric theme tune - http://youtu.be/5KZNP2N035c to this one!

also watched the night of the demons remake,also starring edward furlong,i quite enjoyed it though still not a patch on the original!

http://youtu.be/h39vkGjkTf0 - night of the demons trailer.

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home