iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Halloween Scary Movie Thread (2008 -2011) (Page 13)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18   
Author Topic: Halloween Scary Movie Thread (2008 -2011)
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I am gonna start off with The Serpent & The Rainbow.. Wes Craven... never caught the entire movie, I say it's time I did. [Smile]
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starting things off with this classic...

-

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Pyro lol [Smile]

Ronnster I love Serpent & the Rainbow..it always scared me..I've always had the craziest crush on Bill Pullman too...oh Bill.....I may have to revisit it.

I love that it's Oct 1st....I love everything about Fall!!

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went back and read this topic all over again.

FYI.. I ended up buying The Lady In White, Muffy. And I couldn't finish it. It had a great fall feel to it, but I don't know why I found it so hard to watch?

Haha, Bill Pullman, I think I remember you telling me that before? I liked him in Spaceballs. [Big Grin]

Hope we can get this thread poppin'! I'm interested to know what everyone is watching for Halloween!

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ronnie:
I went back and read this topic all over again.

Ditto

Tonight:
 -  -
 -  -  -  - out of 5

I've picked up the 1st season of Friday the 13th: The Series, so I'll be watching it throughout October as well.

[ 03. October 2011, 07:26: Message edited by: J2ME ]

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm actually not gonna be watching many Halloween movies this time around. I'm jumping ship and moving out of State again at the end of this month. So I'm gonna be quite busy doing that. It's OK. i'll just watch the Halloween flicks around Christmas time like i like to do anyway. [Smile]
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First up on my list....

-

Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

Wow, that Near Dark blu-ray went Twilight on us. Adrian Pasdar looks like a teen vamp?!

Veronica, I can't see your picture?

Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I actually planned on starting a new "Halloween Scary Movie Thread" again this year, but it is way more entertaining to keep the original thread from 2008 going and build on it. Quite a fun read from start to finish! [Cool]

Here's the thread from last year to bridge the gap:

The Halloween Scary Movie Thread 2010

2008, 2009, and 2010 represented..

Thrill Me 2011!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ronnie, it's the poster for Waxwork [Smile]
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually started early this year..

-

"Halloween II" was released on blu-ray recently and after discussing with Ronnie who ranks it high on her list of favs .. it was just too hard to wait until Halloween to watch it this year. It was such a fun watch that I might just view it again soon.

I have yet to dive into the extras.. but I'm totally gonna watch the 1984 horror documentary "Terror In The Aisles" which was included as a surprising bonus feature.

-

"Halloween II" on blu-ray did not disappoint!

The picture quality was excellent and it caused me to notice little details about the movie like never before. Also, the sound was so crisp and clear .. it actually made me jump in my seat a couple of times like I was watching it for the first time all over again. [Eek!]

The original "Halloween' from 1978 which I consider the best horror movie ever made and this movie will always be on my Halloween rotation. And I must say that after watching "Halloween II" on blu-ray.. it gave me a new appreciation for this film.

Oh.. I'm sure most of you horror buffs know all the backstory between the director Rick Rosenthal and John Carpenter before the film was released, but I still find it fascinating.

[ 02. October 2011, 16:03: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so heavy into house renovations, I'm not even sure where the TV is!! A bit late starting in this year, but hope to get my Halloween movie watchin' goin' soon. I have about 70 or so Halloween episodes from some of my favorite old shows: Alf, Barney Miller, Cheers, Everybody Hates Chris (I didn't watch this show, but in the Halloween episode, he dresses up as Prince....pretty funny), Frasier, Happy Days, MASH, Punky Brewster, etc, etc....even have Halloween episodes for MacGyver and Knight Rider. Also, I'm not a big Simpsons fan but for some reason, this year I want to watch some of the Treehouse of Horror episodes.

As far as movies, I might kick it off with something light, maybe ...Monster Squad.

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Veronica Sawyer.. "Waxwork" is a great flick to start the season off with!

I swiped this from my "Waxwork" thread:

-

A wax museum owner uses his horror exhibits to unleash evil on the world. "Waxwork" had a great premise and the FX/make-up is far above standard 80's horror. The exhibit scenes within the movie were awesome.

The cast was 80's cool with Zach Gilligan, Deborah Foreman, Michelle Johnson, Dana Ashbrook, Eric Brown, and Miles O'Keeffe.

-

But what were Johnson and Foreman thinking.. first both notice a Waxwork house appear in their neighborhood out of nowhere as they are walking to school..

-

..then suddenly a creepy guy in a purple suit that even Prince might question greets them... next, same scary dude invites both of these obviously underage high school girls plus four of their friends to a private midnight showing.

-

.. I will say the movie holds together and plays as a horror/comedy flick... though the ending is less than stellar. I really liked how the homage to "Night of the Living Dead" scenes were filmed in black & white.

-

As everyone knows.. I'm a fan of Deborah Foreman because of the movie "Valley Girl". While "Waxwork" is not at the top of my list .. her performance was quite interesting and definitely entertaining! ha

Here's a little trivia:

* Writer/director Anthony Hickox wrote the screenplay in only 3 days.

* Effects artist Bob Keen spent 18 hours a day for eight weeks working on the monsters in the film.

* During the scene in the basement of the vampire's mansion, crew on the sets said that it was "The bloodiest thing ever put to the screen". Much of the gore in the scene was cut by the MPAA.

* 18 wax horror exhibits are seen, including: - Count Dracula - The Phantom of the Opera - a witch - The Marquis De Sade - a werewolf - a mummy - a voodoo priest - zombies aka Night of the Living Dead - an urban legend killer (axe murderer) - The Invisible Man - Frankenstein's monster - Invasion of the Body Snatchers pod - a demonic baby from It's Alive - an alien creature - a "cobra-man" circus freak - Jack the Ripper - Mr. Hyde - and a Golem.

* After the policeman visits the Waxwork with Mark, he realizes that many of the statues of the victims resemble missing people from posters he had seen. These posters are actually just copies of one of the posters from the opening credits of the 1987 film 'The Lost Boys'. All of the missing person posters have a single photo of a missing adult, but the posters all have the same information of two missing children on the poster: William G. Bailey 7-26-62 Sandy blond hair brown eyes Missing since August 6, 1979 (or 1973) Call the Santa Carla Police Department Susan Wilbur 5-30-69 Black Hair Blue Eyes Missing since February 6, 1983

Any Waxwork or Waxwork II fans?

[ 02. October 2011, 16:29: Message edited by: Valley ]

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
And Kev.. we might have discussed this in a different section of the board last year.. but "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" has a couple of excellent Halloween episodes in my opinion.

-

Season 2, Episode 6 - “Halloween”

It’s amazing how costumes can change one’s persona on Halloween. It’s the only time of year that the shy guy might actually appear to be the confident and sexy beast that is within him. What a person wears as a Halloween costume can sometimes reveal a lot. This episode of Buffy illustrates this concept perfectly. It’s Halloween in Sunnydale, and everyone’s turning into their costumes. Buffy is an 18th century damsel in distress; Willow is a ghost, and Xander is a hyper army guy. With Buffy out of commission, and Xander out of his mind, Willow gets to take over and really allows herself to be confident.

Season 4, Episode 4 - “Fear, Itself”

This is one of my all-time fav Buffy episodes! It has a haunted house and has some truly wicked moments. Buffy can’t bring herself to face the guy who jilted her. Willow’s continuing usage of magic is of concern to everyone but herself. Oz is afraid he’ll lose control of his wolf side. And Xander is afraid he’s becoming invisible, since he’s the only one of his friends not in college.

Problem is.. the haunted house our 'Scooby Gang' is trapped in actually amplifies their fears, and the only thing that can save them is facing fear itself. This episode is a great combination of scares and laughs with a twist ending.

Season 6, Episode 6 - “All the Way”

Just like her big sister Buffy... Dawn Summers finds herself falling for the wrong guy. She has her first kiss and then has to stake the guy. Yup, surprise, surprise, he’s a vampire. [Wink]

[ 02. October 2011, 16:41: Message edited by: Valley ]

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Since we are discussing great Halloween tv episodes .. where's Muffy to remind us of the infamous "Square Pegs" Halloween slumber party episode?

cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Waxwork is in the queue for this week!! It's streaming on Netflix!! Love the ensemble cast!!

Valley, that Square Pegs pic is fantastic! Awesome Halloween episode!! Makes you feel like you're at the slumber party!!

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
I actually started early this year..

-

It pains me to see this post...I waited with bated breath & ran out for this blu-ray the day it was released. Unfortunately, I cannot watch it on my Samsung player! It does not play with the version of their current firmware [Frown] . I'm beyond disgusted! I called Samsung Tech Support & basically they told me there's nothing I can do except wait for their next firmware update...which they have no idea when it will be released!!

Not sure I'll ever buy another Samsung product! Enjoy your Halloween II blu-rays guys...I can't... [Frown]

[ 03. October 2011, 06:48: Message edited by: cindymancini ]

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Day 3:

Recent Horror Blu buys:

-  -

Hatchet - When a group of tourists on a New Orleans haunted swamp tour find themselves stranded in the wilderness, their evening of fun and spooks turns into a horrific nightmare. -- IMDb

These turned up today.  - I'll watch Hatchet tonight, and the 2nd one later in the week.

Has anybody seen either of these?

[ 10. October 2011, 06:49: Message edited by: J2ME ]

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Wow.. Cindy .. that is crazy that Samsung hasn't kept their firmware updates current. I'm actually shocked by this info.

I watched "Halloween II" on my PS3 without issues. But I do own a Samsung Blu-ray player that is in another room. Ouchy!

Ronnie must have watched it on her PS3 as well.

Hope you get to watch the "Halloween II" on blu-ray before Halloween. At least you can still watch "Night of the Creeps" without issue.. right?

Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

quote:
Ronnie must have watched it on her PS3 as well.

Nope. I would have, ..my PS3 was getting repaired. My hard drive needed to be replaced. I have a Sony Blu-ray player and it played fine.

Sorry to hear, Cindy..total bummer. [Frown]

Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

quote:
Originally posted by J2ME:
Has anybody seen either of these?

J2ME, I have never seen them, but I heard of the first one. Let us know what you think!
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
that is crazy that Samsung hasn't kept their firmware updates current. I'm actually shocked by this info.

I don't think that this issue is limited to Samsung. I have a Vizio that is about a year-and-half old, and while it works well for the stuff that I have (never tried Halloween II), they've never upgraded the firmware. Other folks have pointed out-and I've personally experienced--that if you try to do so on-line, it returns an error message instead of saying "no upgrade available." That's really stupid. And don't get me started on the el cheapo "Insignia" BluRay (Best Buy's house brand) that I bought for my bedroom. You used to be able to upgrade the firmware through the menu--and it worked. Then one of the upgrades removed the ability to upgrade the firmware, and I was scratching my head wondering what the heck they'd done. Next thing I know, I got a DVD in the mail with the latest firmware upgrade, which added back the ability to upgrade on-line. Stupidest stuff I've ever seen... [Smile]
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have been watching Friday the 13th: The Series for the past month now. My husband still loves it- me not so much. But he insists on watching an episode during lunch. I guess I'll be watching one today, lol!
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David Cronenberg actually directed an episode of "Friday the 13th: The Series." I believe that it was the one with the haunted scalpel. (He must've been really, really bored at the time. [Smile] )
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
I was never a huge fan of Friday The 13th the tv series.. maybe if I gave it a chance now I might think differently. Were there any cool episodes with actors we enjoy from some our cherished 80's movies?

And I saw the first "Hatchet" movie a few years back .. it was decent and way gory. I like the 'old school american horror' tagline.. not a fav for me, but worth watching at least once.

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home