iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Ladies and Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains (1981) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ladies and Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains (1981)
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crash .. the only reason that I knew that answer was because my buddy who's an actor did an episode of the "X-Files" there back in the 90's and I looked up Coquitlam as a filming location on imdb when told me where he was at .. and The Stains popped up.

Now that you've named the mall.. it states that "Juno" was filmed there too according to imdb.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Stains was filmed in my hometown of Johnstown, Pennsylvania. Why, you ask? Nancy Dowd who wrote Stains had a brother, Ned, who played hockey for the Johnstown Jets. She turned his hockey experiences into the screenplay for Slap Shot, filmed in Johnstown. She liked the town and wrote Stains around it but didn't like the film and took her name off of the credits. I believe she's billed as "Rob Morton."

And All the Right Moves is the other Johnstown film, of course. For years, Stains was the lost Johnstown film. While many of us remember when Diane Lane was in town filming, it never even played a theatre in town. I'm glad that it's finally found its cult. It was way ahead of its time.

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Valley great points on E.G Daily!! I didn't know she was in this and whispered to my friend "it's E.G Daily" to only get the confused look of "who is that?" "you know Valley Girl and Pee Wee's big Adventure" haha

She was totally a Diane fan in both movies awesome point Valley! [Smile]

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Valley great points on E.G Daily!! I didn't know she was in this and whispered to my friend "it's E.G Daily" to only get the confused look of "who is that?" "you know Valley Girl and Pee Wee's big Adventure" haha
There are some things that only we will understand [Wink]
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got ahold of the guys that wrote the book and here is a link to their awesome clip show they had put together....enjoy it's great!

http://vimeo.com/16902543

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That clip contains some great moments. I saw 'Liquid Sky' and 'Oddballs' in there (amongst others). Any clip like that is GOLD!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought the dvd and watched Ladies and Gentlemen, the Fabulous Stains while the site was down.

Of course i liked it, it has that early 80s magic feel.
It was directed by Lou Adler who directed only two films, this one and the excellent Cheech and Chong film Up in Smoke.

Diane Lane was still very young when this was filmed but she looks very confident. Marin Kanter and Laura Dern did also good job as her bandmates.
It was cool to see The Tubes singer Fee Waybill as the leader of The Metal Corpses band. Another Tubes man Vince Welnick was also in this one.
I´m a huge The Tubes fan and own almost all their cd´s (still missing Love Bomb).¨
And all movies with Elizabeth Daily get my vote!

Media criticism, good music, cool locations (love canadian landscapes and small early 80s US factory towns) and you can also see classic Atari/Namco F-1 arcade in one scene.
I just realised that Eastwood regular Bruce Surtees did the cinematography in Fabulous Stains so no wonder it looks awesome.

The dvd also includes this "happy ending" music video they filmed two years after the actual movie.
It looks nice but feels unnecessary.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
never seen this one atomik,it sounds really good,definitely would like to check it out!
Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonderful film, the Fabulous Stains. For years, it was almost impossible to see. Paramount fought with director Adler, the rock impressario, and shelved the film after a token release. They never released it to VHS because the rights to the music were too expensive. I caught a showing on the late, lamented Night Flight, one of the greatest TV shows of all time, in the mid 80s and taped it. (As I noted in an eariler post, Night Flight was pretty cavalier about copyrights and licensing fees since it ran in the wee hours when only drunks and lunatics were watching. [Smile] ) That VHS was the crown jewel in my collection.

I loved telling people about it because no one even knew that this thing existed. (There's a Bill Murray film called Nothing Lasts Forever from around 1984 that no one has seen. MGM hates it and has never released it in any format. They did a retrospective of Murray's career in New York a few years ago, and Murray had to pay MGM out of his own pocket to get them to rent him a print--for his own retrospective! It's brilliant, but that's a subject for another thread.) Diane Lane has a nude scene, and that supporting cast, including Ray Winstone, is amazing.

Here's some trivia, guys. Stains is an "unofficial sequel" to Slap Shot. If you listen carefully to Diane Lane's interview at the beginning, she lives in Charlestown, Pennsylvania, same setting as the Paul Newman film. Some stuff was filmed in Johnstown, Pennsylvania too, though most of Stains was filmed in British Columbia. And the screenplay is by "Rob Morton," a fake name for the brilliant Nancy Dowd, writer of Slap Shot. She took her name off of the film because of all the studio interference.

Finally, there was enough of a buzz, and it got an official special edition release. It deserved it. It's one of the best films about rock and roll ever.

[ 30. April 2015, 20:17: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw "The Fabulous Stains" on DVD (now long OOP) back in the 200X's - great film, and almost unheard of these days. As always, Diane Lane was amazing here, and there was a lot of good hard rock music featured as well.
Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home