iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Last Starfighter (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Last Starfighter
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, FX in movies like ALIENS and PREDATOR aged pretty well!

And I commend them for trying on the CGI the way they did, George Lucas is probably crying/gobbling himself to sleep every night, that he didn't do it first! But seriously, it doesn't look that great now. All the make up/special fx still looks good though!

Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Te-em
Rewinder
Member # 5958

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Te-em   Email Te-em   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't like CGI, but this movie is an exception. It was made very early and I think it's supposed to look like an arcade game. I like this movie, even though I don't think I know anyone else who likes it (except my friend who likes only the CGI effects).

I don't think it's supposed to be like Star Wars either . . . and I'm not sure Star Wars is the first movie of this kind. Well, there is Battlestar Galactica (unless that actually was after Star Wars; sometime during the 70's at least).

Posts: 33 | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fightertown
Master Rewinder
Member # 7418

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Fightertown   Email Fightertown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe this was the first movie which CGI was used. Totally, hit it's target audience, ME~!
Freakin' AWESOME. I have to buy this movie on DVD format.

Posts: 230 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THX -- wait for Blu-ray! I have this on HD-DVD and it was just awesome -- The colors and detail were just streets ahead of the DVD... [Smile]
Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just bumped this for titomxtz.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
I love the part where Alex comes back to earth and interacts with his beta self.

Hey, just a random factoid: I always thought that Alex's alter-ego was a beta unit... until I realised that it was actually baiter... He baits the enemy, see? [Smile]
Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched this the first time after some 20 years.
Good movie with nice old school special effects.

-

I also have the comic book [Wink]

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was on cable tonight and I recorded it. Haven't seen it since I was a kid. Can't wait to watch it again soon!
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
Just watched this tonight and it was cheesier than I remembered. I still like it though. The old school cgi is of course a bit dated as some of you posted....it is from 1984! I think it was very good for the time. I do agree with some of you that it got kinda corny when they got to the outer space stuff, but I can live with it. At least it didn't get as bad as it did in Explorers! That movie got real bad once they entered space. Glad I recorded it and now have it on dvd because I will watch it again.
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, THE EXPLORERS had so much potential... and then it just snapped! Can't believe Joe Dante would f**k up like that!
Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great movie, cool comic aTomiK.
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to dig up this awesome thread started by Ronnie. I just saw where "The Last Starfighter: 25th Anniversary Edition" was get released on Blu-ray. I'm in!

Oh...release date is August 4th

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Universal Studios Home Entertainment has announced that they will bring 'The Last Starfighter: 25th Anniversary' to Blu-ray on August 4th. This former HD DVD high definition exclusive title will be presented in 1080p VC-1 accompanied by a 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack.

Extras for this release include:

* Feature Commentary with Director Nick Castle and Production Designer Ron Cobb
* Heroes of the Screen
* Crossing the Frontier: Making The Last Starfighter
* Image Gallery
* BD Live Download Center
* Theatrical Trailer
* Teaser Trailer

Source: Blu-ray.com

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home