iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Did you notice? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Did you notice?
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TKO:
Done! [Smile] Thanks, Nick

Ditto! Thanks TKO [Smile]
Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did mention the new look over on the Two Coreys thread.

I was totally confused too when I came back from the weekend and got on here.

This look is cool....it seems like everything is more simplified.

I told Corey Haim that his picture was on the home page, along with Meredith Salenger's...so if he ever figures out how to get here, he will be totally confused when he sees Kelly Lebrock.

He said he had never heard of the Rewind, and that he thought it was cool that alot of his movies were on here.

Personally, I like things to stay the same, so like TKO and Ronnie...I just have to get use to it.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, that gives me an idea... Maybe we should put him back on the home page... With a quote from him welcoming all fans of the 80s? Do you know how to get hold of him to ask, Isis? [Smile]
Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nick,

Do you think you could put something similar to what they have on IMDB for movie ratings? That would be awesome. This way we would get input from everyone on how good movies are, not just the person who reviewed it. I feel the problem is that if you review a movie it is typically one you really enjoy and therefore the ratings are always high. When I look at ratings I put them on the fast-rewind scale which basically goes from 7-10 :-) ha. Either way I love the site. Thanks Nick

Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
Good idea Gordy [Smile]

I had thought of it, but I haven't quite figured out how to best do it yet, but its definitely on the wish list [Smile]

JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, a new ratings system is def a good idea. Also, I don't like the way the reviews are set up! Some people just write a long drawn out synopsis, that's not a review. There should definitely be a synopsis though, so people know what the movie is about! But when you go to write review, it says verdict, well, my verdict IS my review, obviously, and then further it says strenghts and weaknesses, well, i would never write a review without pointing out the strenghts and weaknesses of the movie, so that, again, is redundant. I also think there should be the possibility foe multiple reviews per movie.

Just my thoughts.

Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
Originally posted by JAYLEE:
Yeah, a new ratings system is def a good idea. Also, I don't like the way the reviews are set up! Some people just write a long drawn out synopsis, that's not a review. There should definitely be a synopsis though, so people know what the movie is about!

Different people write different ways. It's not ideal and I do edit them but you can't be too rough on people who have sat down and taken the time IMHO .. because thats a great way to lose all your reviewers. The new system has *many* new features that are not implemented yet. One of them is on weaker reviews, to allow new writers to have a go....

But when you go to write review, it says verdict, well, my verdict IS my review, obviously, and then further it says strenghts and weaknesses, well, i would never write a review without pointing out the strenghts and weaknesses of the movie, so that, again, is redundant.

Unfortunately some people like to just be able to "cut to the chase" when reading about movies and don't properly read whole reviews, so we cater for both.

I also think there should be the possibility for multiple reviews per movie.

The new system has this. Again I have not switched it on yet because I have to think carefully about how to implement it.[/QB]

Don't forget that the review submission module is old, based on the old system ...and crap. The new one will be here soon-ish. [Smile]

gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Nick for all your work! This really is the best 80's site by leaps and bounds out there. Good work.
Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
Thanks Gordy... [Smile]

...And thanks to all of you who have been submitting updates & corrections using the new features. Please let me know if you experience problems or have feedback or suggestions [Smile]

JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, thanks. I'll wait for the new system to kick in then!
Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
Ok, thanks. I'll wait for the new system to kick in then!

Nahhhhh.. Don't wait... Just get stuck in Jaylee [Smile] I'm starting to go through all the submissions now and choose the best ones.

Update: I've already put up one of yours, and would be great to have some more [Smile]

[ 29. August 2008, 04:28: Message edited by: Nick ]

JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
Wow, you really put it up, and it only took a year:) just kidding, thanks alot. Ok, i'll submit some more then.
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
Just submitted another one, but the old system is aggrevating! Nick, do you have a ballpark ETA on the new system?
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
Well, I guess I haven't actually, cuz some stupid pop up thing prevents me from clicking on SUBMIT TO EDITOR! Im done trying. Wake me up, when the new system is up and running!
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
LOL -- Only a year? -- you got favoritism! [Wink]

You want an ETA? I've only spent this entire week on just the import system for the old one... [Wink]

Seriously though, I'm "hoping" to have something in the next couple of months. You'd be amazed how much work these things take. Maybe I'll just mod the old one to make it better in the interim.. hehe [Wink]

Tell me the things you hate most about it and I'll see what I can do. But deffo in the list are:

* Automatic user login from iRewind
* Actors, producers etc in a straight list one per line rather than individual boxes
* No DVD details (just tick "not available" for R1 & R2 dvds folks if you're doing submissions using it at the moment)

There must be loads of things but thats all I can think of atm...

I know its aggrevating, but don't forget my end of things. It takes at least 2 hrs normally to get a submission up. I have to read/edit fill in all the cast/crew + research and enter dvd/vhs/cd/blu-ray for UK, USA and Canada, get screenshots etc. Add trivia and locations if available. Its a lot of work. [Frown]

BUT, thats why most sites have the description from the back of the DVD box and a buy here button... So quality costs... Time. Always has, always will. [Wink]

JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
I appreciate all your hard work, I just get grumpy when things don't work right... especially PC/internet stuff.... I just have little to no patience!
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Site looks good, though every update makes me nostalgic for the old neon green...

The trailers work particularly well in that no other side I know of has them embedded as an integral part of the page. And as for the movie pages? I wrote a review of 'Return Of The Jedi' once oh...now that's a review I haven't see in, a long time. Long time". I think that review currently resides on an island with Elvis, Jimmy Hoffa, Tupac, Biggie Smalls and Lord Lucan!

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
LOL Kash... You can still see the old neon green site on the "About Us" page [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by Kash:
The trailers work particularly well in that no other side I know of has them embedded as an integral part of the page.

Ahh... yes, the browse system... I still have fond memories of the few weeks it took to get that to work! [Wink] It started a just the cover art and then I had the brainwave of including a video... But, it turns out that you can't use the standard YouTube player to do that, you kinda have to make your own... And thats why the front page "TV" is different from the browse one. I'd already done it... And, in a perfect world, I'd have re-done the front page to be the same, but I was worried about the volume controls and things that the front page should have, in case peeps are at work. Also, I felt that the standard player was more familiar to peopleand they would know what it did. So I left it as the standard player on the front page.

You ROTJ review is still there... And, with the grace of Yoda, may yet still see the light of day shortly [Smile]

Sorry again for the delays. It was a Loooong 3 years, I know. But, like British Rail in the 80s, "we're getting there" [Wink]

[ 30. August 2008, 02:27: Message edited by: Nick ]

Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Well, I guess I haven't actually, cuz some stupid pop up thing prevents me from clicking on SUBMIT TO EDITOR! Im done trying. Wake me up, when the new system is up and running!

Hmmm... Sorry about that. I'll check it out...

[Frown]

Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think highlighting the "Release News" on the main page and including blu-ray is a great move. Most people that initially do an internet search for an 80's movie are either looking how can they get it on DVD/Blu or what is the name of that movie that is stuck in my head.
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
QUOTE]Originally posted by JAYLEE:
Well, I guess I haven't actually, cuz some stupid pop up thing prevents me from clicking on SUBMIT TO EDITOR! Im done trying. Wake me up, when the new system is up and running! [/QUOTE]

OK, I've implemented an interim solution that will work OK. If peeps would like to try it out.

The full, iRewind submissions module will be rewritten from scratch, but this one is easier than before, quicker and I hope is an improvement... [Smile]

I am now working through the submissions, so it wont be like before, I promise [Wink]

Registered users can use the submissions page here [Smile]

JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
Sweeeeet... it finally worked! Good job Nick.
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
Well, it worked once, and then it started acting up again. Couldn't submit two reviews for two seperate Friday the 13th flicks with different titles, cuz it said I had already submitted it!

[ 31. August 2008, 05:07: Message edited by: JAYLEE ]

JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
got your PM, it worked.
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
yeah, soz... Its to stop spammers submitting hundreds of bogus reviews, but I guess its a bit too heavy handed... I'll look at [Smile]
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home