iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » RAD (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: RAD
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kick *** movie
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyromantic:
kick *** movie

I second your opinion there, Pyromantic. I relished this when I first viewed it and I would buy it if I could. [Wink]
Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to say that if you're hesitating about checking out "RAD" .. you're missing out on 80's hidden gold in my opinion.

Yes the BMX riding is wicked awesome, but fans of Lori Loughlin should not miss this opportunity to see her in a lost 80's flick.

Okay..a little trivia: Laura Jacoby who played Wesley also played Suzi's little sister Peggy in "Valley Girl". Want more? Laura Jacoby's brother is Billy Jayne who we all know as the hilarious Buddy from "Just One of the Guys".

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah..I would love to buy this again if there was ever a legit official DVD re-realease...I refuse to buy an unofficial DVD of it online because a couple of my friends did that before, and they were always ripoffs. For now though it's cool though cuz there's a few sites i can go to and watch it for free whenever I want.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched "RAD" last night.

I concur with you entirely, Valley. It IS hidden 80s gold!

There is simply so much to take delight in. Among the many memorable scenes to name a few.

* Cru and Christian's incipient romance.

* Their performing freestyle BMX feats at the high school dance.

* Cru and his friends mucking about with Sergeant Smith, the motorcycle policeman, in the woodyard.

* Their delivering the newspapers in town.

* Mongoose's president together with his colleague changing the rules so that Cru can't participate in Helltrack.

* Cru's family as well as the townspeople rallying behind him to put up a sponsorship so that he can take part in the BMX race.

* The climactic BMX race in which Cru emerges as the winner.

I like this film very much, too! [Big Grin]

[ 02. December 2010, 00:53: Message edited by: Lovers with Cassie ]

Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LoverswithCassie.. "RAD" is one of those movies that the more you watch it, the more you appreciate the little details that make it so awesome.

I enjoy all the scenes you mentioned most especially the school dance scenes, but let me add a couple of my other favs. I totally crack up when Cru catches up with Katie after school and shows off some of his wicked skills. But probably my favorite part of the entire movie is the Helltrack qualifying races as the tune "Thunder In Your Heart" is thumping!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Another excuse for giving me an excuse to bump the "RAD" thread. There are so many people that have still never seen this movie or barely remember it.

Where's Devo when you need him to give "RAD" his **** Butkus "Hamburger: The Motion Picture" stamp of approval? ha

[ 01. August 2011, 17:58: Message edited by: Valley ]

Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

You know I love my RAD and my Hamburger. Man these need to be on DVD. I will then be eternally happy.

WE are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution again,

Did anyone see the Tosh.0 with Cru Jones? Totally hilarious, look it up.

We are DEVO again.

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

About this image: I can relate to how Cru feels and Christian is a fox.

[ 18. February 2010, 20:53: Message edited by: Secret Admirer ]

Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faust1979
Senior Rewinder
Member # 8548

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Faust1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
does anyone here watch Tosh.0? Daniel Tosh has made a couple reference to this movie on his show. He even had one of the stars from Rad show up in skits. He had showed up in a Rad parody and then he helped Tosh get to some dance thing and he hitched a ride on his BMX bike
Posts: 76 | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
I think that was what Devo was referring to above. I saw the skit with Bill Allen where Tosh is making the jump out of the back of the truck and tells Luke to move the mattresses. Great stuff!
Faust1979
Senior Rewinder
Member # 8548

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Faust1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
doh! I didn't even see his post lol but there is one other sketch to that he did this year
Posts: 76 | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
I know some people are staying away from "RAD" because they see it strictly as a BMX movie. Well, for the doubters.. there is a dance scene in RAD that holds it own with the African Anteater Ritual in "Can't Buy Me Love". It is so totally 80's and if you are a fan of the group Sparks .. it is a must!
Lovers with Cassie
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
Valley,

Bill Allen is trying to get a sequel to "RAD" made.

You can read it on his MySpace account.

http://www.myspace.com/theradmovie

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Thanks for the link!

If the original cast is involved it would be fun to see a RAD sequel. Oh and ..I signed the petition and ordered a RAD Racing t-shirt to show my support.

-

Is Shia LaBeouf attached yet? ha.. it seems like he is involved in every 80's sequel these days. Can you say "Indiana Jones", "Wall Street", and though "Transformers" wasn't a sequel it had 80's origins.

Are they really making a "Transformers 3"? And is Patrick Dempsey really attached to it as the bad guy?

Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
Devolution here,

Please say that is a lie.

We are DEVO

Fightertown
Master Rewinder
Member # 7418

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Fightertown   Email Fightertown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ronald Miller will be in the third installment of Transformers. They begin shooting this coming Tuesday. The film will be shot in Los Angeles, China, and Russia.
Posts: 230 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I managed to get an avi of the US HDTV broadcast, turns out they cropped the image down to 16:9, my laserdisc of RAD is 4:3 and shows more picture than the HDTV broadcast did.

Same goes for a number of other 80s classics like Rock & Rule (VHS 4:3, DVD cropped 16:9), Strange Brew (VHS 4:3, DVD cropped 16:9).

It does annoy me they do that.

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Hey Wizard.. welcome back after a long break!

My copy of "RAD" is from an HD source and is definitely cropped, but it is by far the best picture and sound for this movie that I've ever seen. Of course, I would love to see the laserdisc version. I was a huge fan of laserdisc in the 80's and still have my old Pioneer player hooked up to watch a few gems on occasion. Laserdisc was incredible during its time, but the cost and probably the album size discs were its downfall.

oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'I think you over rotated'.

'NO SH%*'!

Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i rented this movie with my friends at least every weekend for a $1 for about 4 months. The same with Thrashin.

If you want to see unbelievable bmx skill that will drop your jaw, go see the youtube link in the thread - Did you ride a BMX, if so watch this!!! - in culture.

Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Valley, this is the intro to Rad from laserdisc:

http://www.haku.co.uk/video/Rad.intro.laserdisc.avi - 30mb, XviD / mp3
 -

The actual source was quite grainy but after some filtering the results look pretty good. That clip was made 5 years ago.

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Wizard.. this is a picture taken with my iphone of my tv set to use as a comparison. The crooked edges is my fault..

Obviously, the actual tv picture is a little better than this pic, but it is definitely reveals that a zoomed/cropped approach was used to get to a 16:9 view since the building is missing at the bottom of the screen. Do you think the red background on the side building was added in later?

I'd love to see RAD get a Blu-ray release, but I realize that is wishful thinking since it is out of print.

Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you would think that after all these years and in this age of blu-ray, plus the high demand for this movie to have a dvd relase, it would have come out by now!!
i don't understand it. i mean, WHY NOT??

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home