iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Typecasting

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Typecasting
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Denzel Washington is one of my favorite actors, but it amazes me how many movies he has played a member of law enforcement or a member of the Armed Forces. Check this list out:

A Soldier's Story
The Mighty Quinn
For Queen and Country
Glory
Ricochet
Crimson Tide
Virtuosity
Devil in a Blue Dress
Courage Under Fire
Fallen
The Siege
The Bone Collector
Training Day
Out of Time
Man on Fire
The Manchurian Candidate
Inside Man
Deja Vu
The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 (2009)

He does play the part well. [Smile]

What actors do you see being "typecasted" quite a bit?

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really liked Deja Vu-it is one of the few newer movies that I have seen that I actually will watch again.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matt Dillon played basically the same character quite often in the beginning of his career

Over The Edge
The Outsiders
My Bodyguard
Little Darlings

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
one could also add Joe Pesci to that list
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

How many movies is Jodie Foster going to fight back because she has been wronged?

Come on now.

We are DEVO

Michele Rodriguez is always typecasted too.

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except for William Shatner, almost every actor from the original "Star Trek" show has been typcast, especially Leonard Nimoy (Spock).
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

not too many vulcans in the acting business. whenever a role calls for a vulcan Spock doesn't have too much competition [Big Grin]
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sam 'The Made Man' Hain:
not too many vulcans in the acting business. whenever a role calls for a vulcan Spock doesn't have too much competition [Big Grin]

Live long, and prosper... [Big Grin] Heheeee...
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brad Dourif. He's always cast as either a psychopath or a weirdo.
Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say Stallone and Arnie too. They are always typecasted as the hero fighting back or an underdog that comes out on top in the end. But I think alot of times typecasting is seen as a positive thing to many actors/actresses in instances such as this because it's made the both of them extremely famous. It does get old seeing them in the same types of movies time after time though......
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a difference between an actor and a star. John Wayne and Schwarzenegger are stars. Olivier and Brando are actors. A star by definition can't be typecast since they are always portraying their star persona. Stars look for vehicles while actors look for roles.
Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brando could be classified as a star when you consider the Godfather series and what he was best remembered for..........
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
Yes, lots of actors become stars too. But the difference when it comes to typecasting is that John Wayne, Sylvester Stallone and Arnold are actively seeking action hero parts as star vehicles. They aren't being typecast. Brando played all sorts of roles after The Godfather. In fact, the only time that I know of that he repeated that role was when he spoofed himself in The Freshman. If he had suddenly found that nobody would offer him anything but Mafia Don parts after doing The Godfather then that would have been typecasting. On the other hand, Arnold starring in True Lies right after doing The Last Action Hero is purely by choice. He's tried doing a few comedic parts just like Stallone has made occassional forays into drama (Copland, for instance). So it's obvious that there are other avenues available to them. They just choose to stick with what makes them the most money and assures the continuation of their stardom.

[ 25. August 2008, 00:34: Message edited by: journey ]

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's one... Steve Buscemi. Always type casted as a weirdo or something close to that. Excellent actor...
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jdocster:
Here's one... Steve Buscemi. Always type casted as a weirdo or something close to that. Excellent actor...

I love Buscemi. I think it's more of the way he looks is why he gets cast as a nut job. He looks like a serial killer. [Smile]
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jdocster:

Steve Buscemi is to this generation what Bruce Dern was in the 70's! [Smile]
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

yeah but what's Bruce Dern's policy on tipping waitresses?

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Sam 'The Made Man' Hain:
yeah but what's Bruce Dern's policy on tipping waitresses?

OK... Spill it... [Confused] [Smile]
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

"Don't gimme that. If she don't make enough money she can quit."

"She only filled my cup 3 times. When I order coffee I want it filled 6 times."

"He just convinced me gimme my dollar back."

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
Heee... OK.

Why do I have to be Mr. Pink? You be Mr. Pink... [Smile]

Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

It's always a good day when one can throw out a Reservoir Dogs reference. [Big Grin]

If you ever see me dancing around to the song "Stuck in the Middle With You" it would probably be in your best interest to not ask any questions and just hightail it out of there [Big Grin]

Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

Especially if you've got an ear in your hand......

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
Heheee... [Big Grin]

I can't post the quotes here, you just need to look at them... [Big Grin]
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105236/

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home