iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Trading Places Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Trading Places Question
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

When Louis goes to the bank to withdraw money, there is a bank official that speaks to him, and I know his voice is from commericals. I am trying to remember what commercials. Any thoughts?

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched this movie EVERY sunday for 10 months, while I fulfilled my military service in 1989. They played it on the bus that brought us to Germany and never changed the tape. I loved it the first couple of times, but I still can't bring myself to watch it again.

Anyway...

I might have been able to help you out, but unfortunately we never had the same commercials over here.

(So Devo, basically this was a useless reply for you (sorry), but I'm more than relieved to finally get this off my chest. So thank YOU! [Big Grin] )

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to IMDB, the role of Bank manager was played by W. B. Brydon, who did commercials for Raid bug spray, Britches of Georgeton, and was the voice heard on the Oxy5 and Oxy10 acne cream commercials in the late seventies and early eighties (which may be why you remember him so well, Devo!)
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I did figure it out, and called oxy before I looked it up. Thanks Paul.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now for a question of my own on the film, one that never needed to be answered due to the script, but one worth pondering: how do you suppose the Dukes would have reversed their "experiment" had our heroes not found them out? Sending Valentine back to the streets would be in theory fairly easy--simply have Beaks make some fraudulant under the table stock deals and pin it on Valentine--but one has to wonder how they could possibly restore Winthorpe's good name AND convince everyone that everything they'd put him through had been a simple misunderstanding of sorts. In particular how would they have told Penelope that he'd been set up with Ophelia without exposing their scheme? (and of course, they'd have to consider the likely possibility Ophelia wouldn't just let Winthorpe go without a fight and would probably expose them if that's what it took to keep him). And there's always the possibility someone they entrusted in the experiment would talk once it was over no matter how much they'd paid them--certainly Coleman would probably have let on his involvement to his boss once he'd be back to his old position in life. As noted, it never needs to be answered since the filmmakers came up with a better denoument, but you still have to wonder what if...
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
records1black
Master Rewinder
Member # 7105

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for records1black   Author's Homepage   Email records1black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know what you meen Candyman, I always wonder what if to and usually along the lines of are you stupid enough to do that, (thats usually when I watch horror movies tho!!!!
Posts: 180 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe they actually state in the film something like, "I don't want him back after what he did" while Valentine's listening in the stalls.

So the answer's in the film: The Duke's were never going to let Winthorpe come back.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home