iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Cat People (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cat People
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Gere never gets his due as an actor. He is pretty much an a****** in his early roles, but those were the parts he got. If you look at his later stuff, he's terrific--Sommersby, Unfaithful, Chicago, Internal Affairs, Primal Fear, Mr. Jones, Shall We Dance, The Mothman Prophecies, Arbitrage... And I'm not just cutting him slack. He's excellent and can hold his own with just about anybody. He's just such a good looking guy that I think it's actually been a handicap to his career.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gere is the man! I´ve always liked the fella and have about 20 RG films but i´ve yet too see Report to the Commissioner, Bloodbrothers, The Honorary Consul, King David, Power and i just bought Looking for Mr. Goodbar.
I have this stuff but haven´t got time to watch them!!

I would also like too see more his 00´ films like The Mothman Prophecies for example.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might be right. His looks kinda made and typecast him as the good looking douchebag. I think I heard that Debra Winger didn't like him when working on 'Officer and a Gentleman'.
Post 'Pretty Woman' he did seem to relax into himself and do a lot of interesting films. I'd forgotten half of those you listed (only seen half of them - but I liked the ones I did see). Actually, I remember liking Mothman Prophecies quite a lot. Might be time to 'Gere up' and fill in some gaps!

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Mothman Prophecies was a Gere-produced pet project. (He likes horror films. Yay!) I think that it has one of the best sound designs of any movie. The sound is truly frightening. It's a terrific little film.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
April Fool
Senior Rewinder
Member # 37390

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for April Fool   Email April Fool   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This movie has become one of my favorite 80s movies of all time, and I got to liking it alot over the past few years. I love the soundtrack. The background music is so cool, and I love the scenery, and the house they have in New Orleans. I love the cast of this movie. I watch it all the time.
Posts: 86 | Registered: Oct 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Mothman Prophecies was a Gere-produced pet project. (He likes horror films. Yay!) I think that it has one of the best sound designs of any movie. The sound is truly frightening. It's a terrific little film.
I remember liking it when it came out. But that sounds like I need to re-watch it. I'll add that and Cat People to my re-watch list.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Both excellent horror film choices, superbly crafted.
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: Cat People, when this came out back in '82 I was way too young to see it in theatres...but always wanted to due to NK [Wink] IIRC, I do remember the trailer & advertising for the film. So, for whatever reason I didn't see this in it's entirety until I got my first DVD player in the 2000's

This is a truly classic movie. Excellent but sad story, beautiful actresses (NK & Annette O'Toole), great effects, extremely impressive visuals - especially the flash-back prehistoric?! sequences with the matte paintings & creepy, red lighting, and last but not least, incredible scenery of early '80's New Orleans.

I did see the original b&w Cat People a while back, and for some reason couldn't get into this as much - I found the '82 version to be far superior, but nostalgia may have a lot to do with this.

Re: Richard Gere, "The Mothman Prophecies" (2002) is my favorite film he's starred in. However, he also did a great job in his small (but powerful) role in The Jackal (1997), a great espionage film based on "Day of the Jackal".

[ 03. October 2016, 16:28: Message edited by: Nostalgic for the '80's ]

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home