iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Cat People (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cat People
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a movie that doesn't get talked about alot. I think me and Muffy watched it when she was here visiting me, and that was the last time I saw it. It is really weird. It has some crazy special effects in it, and it is pretty bloody.

Has anyone seen it...and what did you think of it?

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never saw Cat People, but seeing this thread just reminded me of Sleepwalkers. I do like that one.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This has been a long time in my wanted list.
I´m gonna buy Cat People dvd asap.

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen it many years ago. But as with most movies I don’t remember too much of it, other than the David Bowie song: Putting Out the Fire, some nudity and vaguely something about a woman waking up in a zoo cage? Is that possible?
I was too young when I watched it and didn’t understand much of it. I feel I would appreciate it more now.

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it wasn't me, i've never seen it? Is it Steven King?
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm the same as TKO....seen it, but don't remember much...I'll take another peek....I have a copy on VHS. And Muffy...I'm pretty sure it's not Stephen King.
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know now what I was thinking.......Cat's Eye......was King
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This movie was creepy.....I was never a fan of it, but Nastassja Kinski is quite memeorable for some reason.
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Muffy Tepperman:
I know now what I was thinking.......Cat's Eye......was King

ha...a little Drew Barrymore. Might I suggest "Firestarter".
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Muffy...I thought for sure we watched it....it had Ed Begley in it too-he gets his arm ripped off...they were at the Zoo. It has Rodney McDowell in it...he has some kind of weird incestous relationship going with Natassja Kinski....I remember there was a scene in "Terror in the Aisles"...where there's a postitute in a room and a panter's paw comes out from under the bed and grabs her foot. Rodney McDowell and Natassja can turn in to panthers....and the effects are kind of like Michael Jackson turning in to the werewolf in thriller.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Missie
MadonnaWannabee
Member # 2186

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Missie   Author's Homepage   Email Missie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw this movie once back in the day (you know, when MTV had no commercials and HBO *really* meant Home Box Office) and I thought it was gross.

I do recall a scene where Kinksi is looking at herself in the mirror and eating some....one....and it looks like she's got bloody balogna skin hanging from her mouth.

::shudders::

I don't like gore for the sake of it and I *really* don't like balogna!

Posts: 432 | From: Burbank, CA | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched Cat People at last and it was a great erotic fantasy thriller!
Malcolm McDowell is creepy and i like the atmosphere very much.

-

The soundtrack was awesome so i bought the album.
Giorgio Moroder rules!

-

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually just bought the DVD....I've seen it when I was younger...but I'll try again. Also have an old Rolling Stone Mag featuring Natssia on the cover....
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Is it this one?

-

I´d love to own these early 80s mags...

jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can buy these old magazines on ebay... ;-)
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
Yep...that's the one aTomik. Pages are also more like a newspaper, versus, the newer shiny magazine paper. For a short time, I was collecting some of the earlier 80's editions....but gave it up...at the time...collecting way too many things. As jdoc said...easily found on ebay. I still have this one and a few others with Prince, Cyndi Lauper, etc, on the covers. Great memories....
KING 80'S
Senior Rewinder
Member # 7744

4 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for KING 80'S   Email KING 80'S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just bought this dvd. I haven't watched it as of yet but I will post my ratings of it once I see it.
Posts: 95 | From: CANADA | Registered: Feb 2009 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Burnett
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9924

5 Updates!

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Burnett   Email Burnett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fascinating, sexy thriller, about the wild animal inside people.
The film is beautifully photographed with lots of warm colors, and the tension is built up very well, in a slow tempo with some sudden outbursts of violence.
Also, the mysterious music by Moroder and Bowie is fits perfectly. I love the theme song.
McDowell is a great actor, he's very creepy, and Kinski is a excellent cast, she's mysterious and very sexy.
I also liked the fact that they used real leopards. What beautiful animals!
Schrader has directed some fine films... I also liked American Gigolo, and I'm going to watch Mishima soon, since I own it on dvd.

Beautiful still from the opening scene:
 -

[ 31. August 2011, 06:47: Message edited by: Burnett ]

Posts: 87 | From: Belgium | Registered: Aug 2011 | Site Updates: 5  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you like Schrader, check out "Auto Focus." Greg Kinnear is excellent, as is a creepy Willem Dafoe.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Burnett
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9924

5 Updates!

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Burnett   Email Burnett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will do, thanks for the tip.
Posts: 87 | From: Belgium | Registered: Aug 2011 | Site Updates: 5  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got done watching Cat People for the first time in ages and I agree this film seriously rocks,really stylishly shot and with a great cast (McDowell is on top form here) it's a movie that I find to be very pleasing to the eyes and also to the ears as it features a way cool soundtrack by Giorgio Moroder!

Natassja Kinski looks stunning and spends a large majority of her screen time in a state of undress and there's a creepy and incestuous storyline that can at times really get under your skin,also New Orleans looks great and makes for a very atmospheric setting and there's the odd shocking moment like mentioned above where Ed Begley Jr gets his arm ripped off that can really startle!

Great movie and has got me wanting to revisit Schrader's earlier 80s hit American Gigolo with Richard Gere which I have seen way,way back and do recall really enjoying!

[ 12. June 2016, 10:47: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul Schrader's remake of Cat People is pretty great filmmaking. It goes to show you how you can make a fine film out of the silliest of material. (A breed of incestuous cat people who transform like werewolves. C'mon now! LOL) I still can't believe that this was a mainstream film, released by a big studio, with all the nudity and kink. (Though if you look carefully, there are some incredibly well-placed shadows in the penultimate scene. I think that even Schrader knew that he wasn't going to get away with much more from the ratings board.) Kinski is fantastic and perfectly cast as the initially virginal heroine, who not only transforms into a cat, but into something so much more. Malcolm McDowell has always been one of those underrated actors with a lot of range. He's comfortable as likeable nice guys as well as creepy weirdos. Here he's in full bloom in the latter category. And who can forget the David Bowie song, used memorably here, and by Tarantino in Inglorious Basterds.

I saw American Giggolo when it opened in a theatre that had no heat on a freezing winter day--with about three other people-and still really enjoyed it. Paul Schrader has had an up and down career as a director, but he's a really good. Auto Focus is my favorite of his films.

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Auto Focus is great Crash,Light Sleeper is another of his that I really like!

Crash have you ever seen McDowell's performance in the bonkers Get Crazy as that is something to behold,his characters name is Reggie w****r! [Big Grin]

[ 10. June 2016, 08:37: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I saw Greg Kinnear, Willem Dafoe, and Paul Schrader at the Toronto International Film Festival in support of Auto Focus. They all seemed like smart, genuine nice guys. I never understood why Auto Focus didn't get more acclaim. The acting by Kinear and Dafoe is just superb, Oscar-worthy even. Perhaps the subject matter was way too downbeat and sordid.

McDowell is fantastic in Get Crazy, a film that still doesn't have much of a cult, and I can't understand why. It should; it's very funny. Poor Alan Arkush. He has talent but really bad luck. His partner in crime from New World Pictures, Joe Dante, was hugely successful for a while with big films before his career fizzled out. Arkush should have had a similar career, but one criticially reviled studio film, Heartbeeps, just killed it. He's worked in TV since.

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely a Schrader fan. Saw Auto Focus at the cinema and loved it.

Re-watched American Gigolo again recently. Nice and stylish with good (dated) score. I found that the script felt a little thin this time around though, with no real mystery and a somewhat weak ending. But still very watchable. I often forget just how 'hot' Gere was in the first half of the 80's, right up until 'King David' slammed the breaks on his career. He also always seemed oddly unlikeable in his early films.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home