iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » I wanna put my 80's vhs's to DVD

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I wanna put my 80's vhs's to DVD
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whats the best way? but still inexpensive and easy?? I am looking for advice........I know how to burn cd's but have never attempted to burn a DVD.

I have so many vhs that I just wanna burn them to dvd.....I was gonna ask Cindy Mancini for sure...........anyone got advice......specific items to buy how to do it?

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Muffster, my best advice is to go to a place like Best Buy and purchase a DVD recorder. I purchased a Toshiba VHS/DVD recorder a couple of years ago for around $100. It is simple to hook up and you can even use it to record shows off tv to DVD as well.
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
really only $100?..........is it that easy Valley? just play the vhs and it's recorded?
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, you might need to read the manual first...ha. But it is almost that simple. Go to bestbuy.com and put in DVD recorder to check out the options.

Jdoc...you are always helpful with DVDs can you look for a couple of options for Muffy with regard to DVD recorders?

80'sRocked before you give the old that dude is lazy, I'm at work and have an awesome iphone, but you can't copy and paste anything. Thanks for posting RAD for me the other day.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I have a Panasonic, and it works great for the most part, it will record all movies that you taped off HBO to DVD, the problem is that many movies are copyright protected, so don't think that you are in the clear just because you bought one.

It's better to have a combo than to have just the recorder, as recorders tend to give problems because then you have 2 machines that might be copyright protected.

The biggest thing to remember is that most of the movies need to be less than 2 hours long for the best picture that you can get on the DVD-R, unlike VHS tapes stretching to fit more info can kill the DVD. So Either make Volumes or Buy the ones that don't fit.

Just a tip.

Any questions?

WE are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
Tell me what this means?

"unlike VHS tapes stretching to fit more info can kill the DVD. So Either make Volumes or Buy the ones that don't fit."

Stretching what is that? [Smile]
thanks Devo and Valley

80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:

80'sRocked before you give the old that dude is lazy, I'm at work and have an awesome iphone, but you can't copy and paste anything. Thanks for posting RAD for me the other day.

LOL...Oh, that's your excuse. Business must be good if you're hanging out here all day. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

In VHS terms. SLP or EP instead of SP.

If you try to fit 8 hours on a DVD it doesn't work out. Not that I tried it and failed or anything.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If you try to fit 8 hours on a DVD it doesn't work out. Not that I tried it and failed or anything.
True, but Muffy shouldn't have that problem. If she's just putting movies onto DVD she shouldn't be putting more than a couple of hours at a time. If they're large video compilations taped from the TV on Long Play then it's easier to break them up into volumes (as you said).

As for copyright protection; I used to hitch up VCR's to record from one to the other and I don't recall any problems with that. The principle is the same: Put the VCR into the DVD-R, put the DVD-R into the TV and you're good to go.

We use Panasonic and Sony at work all the time. While I prefer the Sony, their region coding is a pain. But for the US I don't suppose that matters.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Muffy,

Now that I'm home 80'sRocked, I'll see what I can do to show you my copy and paste skills. ha

-

This was the cheapest route at Best Buy, it is just a DVD Recorder for $119.99.

Toshiba - Multiformat DVD-R/-R DL/-RW/+R/+R DL/+RW Recorder

Below is what I have and is what you might really want because it has the VHS and DVD recorder all in one unit. It is a little more expensive than the one I own, but it offers 1080p upconversion. Site states it's on sale for $169.99.

-

Toshiba - Multiformat DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW Recorder/4-Head Hi-Fi VCR Combo

80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Now that I'm home 80'sRocked, I'll see what I can do to show you my copy and paste skills. ha

Not bad "Crazy Eddie" [Big Grin]

-

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
Thanks so much guys!!!!

Valley i'm getting the toshiba......sounds like a plan for me......i'm going to buy a case of the black DVD cases even, and cut my old vhs boxes to fit.......haha I'm sorta excited to do it.....!!

Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
Devolution here,

Like I said, just watch out for the copyright protector, because it's a pain.

Don't throw out the box just yet.

We are DEVO

kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've done the same with some of my 80's VHS....if you're converting mostly early 80's stuff, there's usually no problem with the copyright protector...they simply didn't exist back then. Once you start getting into later years and into the 90's, most all VHS tapes were copyright protected at that point.

Muffy...re cutting your VHS boxes....I've scanned mine and stretched / converted them to DVD size, then print them out...looks a lot better. Good luck!

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Muffy,

First of all, I am NOT a Toshiba guy. I'm usually a Panasonic guy or whatever "name" brand that happens to be the best at the time kind of guy. I spend at least a month reviewing any kind of electronics that I buy. With all of the options out there today, you really need to do this... M'kay?

Well, there's a LOT to all of this but let me tell you what I bought and what I would do....

I bought this Toshiba last year and I LOVE it! Toshiba D-R400 Tunerless 1080p Upconverting DivX Certified DVD Recorder. Too many features to list but the important things are:

- Highly compatible with DVDs burned by other machines
I have not found a DVD I can't watch yet

- Up-convert works very nicely

- Very easy one touch recording
Hit the button and it does the rest

- Very easy menu creating (auto if you like) and editing
Let's you create and edit your own menus or let it do it for you

- Commercial skip 30, 60, 90, 120 seconds
Very nice for when you record TV shows, just hit the button and say good-bye to the commercials

- Pause live TV, Chasing Playback DVD -RW (go back to the beginning of the show you are watching while it's still recording)
Pretty cool feature for when you get a phone call and don't want to miss anything (just like a DVR)

- Auto finalize feature
Select this and it will finalize (close the disc) after everything you record

- Use the same DVD 1000 times DVD -RW, just format it and record away
You will NEVER use a VCR again

The only possible down side for this unit is that it's "tunerless" that means you have to have a tuner in your tv or cable or satellite. You cannot use this unit to tune in channels. This is really not a big deal as most newer flat panel tv's come with a tuner. If not, you will probably always have cable or satellite anyway.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MY38JE

-

It's around $131.00... Worth every penny... [Smile]

I have never had any problems with this unit. Never even wasted a DVD...

Next choice:

Toshiba DVR610 1080p Upconverting Tunerless VHS DVD Recorder

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvr/product.asp?model=d-vr610

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-DVR610-Upconverting-Tunerless-Recorder/dp/B001415ERS/ref=dp_return_2?ie=UTF8&n=172282&s=electronics

As low as $148.88

-

Really with as many VHS tapes as I have, I should have bought this one. It a lot easier to just put the tape in hit a couple of buttons and copy to DVD.

What you really need to know:

- HDMI output for HDTV
- Up-converting
- Ease of use
- Reviews. Read lots of them. I spent a month...

I think the units that Valley picked (above) are fine as well.

Remember you will need an HDMI cable to go from the unit to your tv (if you have an HDTV that is) and DVD+R discs. I can tell you where to buy the cheapest, just as good as the high priced HDMI cables as well the best DVD+R discs. There is a reason why you want to use DVD+R not DVD-R as well as certain brands. This will give you the longest archiving life (100yrs vs 10yrs). I can go into a lot more of this if you or anyone else would like. Just let me know.

Either way, let me know what you decide...

- jdoc

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm posting 2 new threads on the rewind social club to discuss DVD media and cables...

I'm gonna' call them... "The best DVD media for long life" & "The HDMI cables for the money"

heheeee....

- jdoc [Smile]

[ 29. July 2008, 14:41: Message edited by: jdocster04 ]

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
Muff, listen to kevdugp73 and make your own DVD artwork with scans if you can. I do all mine that way too and they come out great. It would be a shame to ruin the original VHS cases. I'm sure some are probably rare or will be someday and worth a pretty penny. You can always sell them on ebay if you don't want them. I've done it numerous times and made some decent money. Just a thought. [Big Grin]

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Muffy Tepperman:
Tell me what this means?

"unlike VHS tapes stretching to fit more info can kill the DVD. So Either make Volumes or Buy the ones that don't fit."

Stretching what is that? [Smile]
thanks Devo and Valley

Muffster,

You can go 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours, 6 hours, 8 hours on most DVD recorders. Like Devo said though, anything past 4 hours looks like total crap! You will record mostly on the "SP" or 2 hour setting. Most recorders will actually record 2 hours and 10 minutes on the 2 hour setting.

XP - 1 hour Best
SP - 2 hours Good (most commonly used)
EP - 4 hours Barely tolerable
LP - 8 hours Forget it...

[Smile]

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Muffy Tepperman:
Thanks so much guys!!!!

Valley i'm getting the toshiba......sounds like a plan for me......i'm going to buy a case of the black DVD cases even, and cut my old vhs boxes to fit.......haha I'm sorta excited to do it.....!!

quote:
From 80sRocked
Muff, listen to kevdugp73 and make your own DVD artwork with scans if you can. I do all mine that way too and they come out great. It would be a shame to ruin the original VHS cases. I'm sure some are probably rare or will be someday and worth a pretty penny. You can always sell them on ebay if you don't want them. I've done it numerous times and made some decent money. Just a thought. [Big Grin]

Even better idea... There are websites on the internet that have the cover art for all kinds of movies for free. You simply download the cover art as a .jpeg file, and, with your label maker software burn a label with the original art. You can use stick on labels or get an inkjet printer that prints directly on the DVD, or get a thermal printer that prints directly to the DVD. In the last two cases you have to make sure you buy the right type of DVD media. Also, the thermal printers are not cheap for a "full" color type. The cheap ones are a bout $60.00 to $100.00 but they only print one color. Black, red, blue etc. An inkjet that prints DVDs is about $80.00 - $100.00.

DVD cover art:
http://www.dvdcoversfuzion.com/gallery/browseimages.php?do=searchresults&searchid=532337

Case covers:
http://www.spleenworld.com/

Look around the net...

Printer:
http://www.amazon.com/Epson-Stylus-Photo-RX595-Printer/dp/B000SDW62O/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1217377175&sr=8-2

Label printer:
http://www.amazon.com/Casio-CW-E60-CD-Label-Printer/dp/B000GWTS6E/ref=pd_bbs_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1217377175&sr=8-5

[Big Grin]

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Muffster, just by chance you haven't realized it yet.....all us Rewind guys are auditioning to replace the 'cute stereo store guy' that worked at The Galleria in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High".

Chime in the tune....."Yeah, she's gonna be somebody's baby tonight, gonna shine tonight, gonna make her mine tonight".

Awesome, Totally Awesome stuff everyone.

80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Muffster, just by chance you haven't realized it yet.....all us Rewind guys are auditioning to replace the 'cute stereo store guy' that worked at The Galleria in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High".

LOL...It is pretty funny that no females responded to this thread. I guess electronics (and illegal bootlegging) is a guy thing. [Wink]
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
you guys are way too funny......I am the only female on this thread..........and seriously half of what you guys said was over my head... [Big Grin] but oh this helps me so much and thank you guys so much........Miss Mancini actually has made me dvd's and made me those nifty dvd covers, I was impressed

Well you guys have made me real excited about this endeavor haha

Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:

Chime in the tune....."Yeah, she's gonna be somebody's baby tonight, gonna shine tonight, gonna make her mine tonight".

Oh and Valley that made me laugh so much, you are too funny!! [Wink]

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:

Hey! The guy that worked at the movie theater actually ended up with the girl you know... [Big Grin]

bang bang bang... you here that? That was my skull.... [Smile]

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cindymancini is like a pro at burning DVDs and making the labels for them...you ought to be talking to her.

I have no clue how to do it...so I am so grateful that Cindymancini and another friend of mine have copied just about anything and everything I have every wanted to DVD.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home