iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » John Ritter's Skin Deep

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: John Ritter's Skin Deep
Nada
Senior Rewinder
Member # 3045

- posted      Profile for Nada   Email Nada   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny movie! But even funnier story regarding it!
I remember my parents watching this movie with some friends one night and my brother (who was around 5 or 6 at the time) walking in on the classic glow-in-the-dark-condom fight scene. Naturally curious, my brother asks whats going on. So my father does what any reasonable parent would do and tells him that it's a long lost Star Wars movie and that it's Luke and Vader lightsaber fighting in the dark... Soon my brother and his friends are begging my dad to see this bootlegged Star Wars movie and I had to watch him squirm and try to think of a way out of it.... And I laughed. Cause it was funny. [Big Grin]

Posts: 51 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still have a hard time grasping that he's dead. I remember reading about both his and Johnny Cash's death at the same time.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nada
Senior Rewinder
Member # 3045

- posted      Profile for Nada   Email Nada   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No doubt. I don't throw the term "comedic genius" around very often, but I think Mr. Ritter fit the bill. Great talent. He's definately missed.
Posts: 51 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He was a throwback to comedians of old. Don't think he would have been a great stand up comic but for television shows and movies he was perfect. He was great at the prat falls like Jerry Lewis and he had great timing. He could easily have been a star on Saturday Night Live as his talent would have been a perfect fit for skit comedy.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nada
Senior Rewinder
Member # 3045

Speaking of SNL, he kinda reminds me of Steve Martin in his prime. Both great physical comedians, but Ritter was more "clutzy funny" while Martin was more "graceful funny"... If that makes any sense...
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved John Ritter. "Three's Company" was one of my favorite shows. I also liked "Three's a Crowd" though it didn't last very long. Here's a nice tribute:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6QT09ixcqZA

I always liked this song as well.

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nada
Senior Rewinder
Member # 3045

I always loved John's back-and-forths with Mr Roper on Three's Company. Norman Fell was a funny guy too. I loved the way he used to say something smart and then look into the camera with that goofy smile. That'd always make me laugh. [Smile]

Not only that, he's the basis of one of my favorite Beastie Boys lines!:
"I'm so rope, they call me Mr Roper.
When the troubles arise you know I'm the cool coper."
Mike D at his best, y'all! [Big Grin]

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Three's Company too.

The kid in the movie "Problem Child" was a carbon copy of my cousin. So, I watched those movies back when they came out.

I have a friend who loves the movie Skin Deep, he brought it for me to watch when he visited me...but we didn't watch the whole thing...I think he showed me clips from it...but, I can't even remember what they were now.

I can't believe John Ritter is dead either...

I just sent JDOC a current photo of Priscilla Barnes ...she and Joyce Dewitt were at a convention thing and my friend was there...
they are still best friends in real life.

I remember when me and my brother watched Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley...I was 4 years older, so I was allowed to stay up 1/2 an hour longer than my brother...when I was in high school....he would try and drag his feet to go to bed when Three's Company was on, because he loved it so much....and it came on past his bedtime.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know what else Ritter was good as; MCing NBC's World's Greatest Magic specials that aired the night before Thanksgiving for several years in the 90s. His intros for each act were always amusing, and the funniest moment in the whoel series came when Lance Burton, after successfully executing a manacles-mailbag-locked police car dropped into a car crusher act, took up Ritter's suggestion that he could do just as well. When I met recurring act Mac King in Las Vegas a few years ago, he said he had nothing but the fondest memories of Ritter.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nada
Senior Rewinder
Member # 3045

a manacles-mailbag-locked police car dropped into a car crusher act?
Pfffft! Who CAN'T do one of those? [Wink]

cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John Ritter was one of a kind! Three's Company is classic, classic, television. They don't make shows like this anymore or characters for that matter. I mean think about each of these:

Jack Tripper
The Ropers
Mr. Furley
Larry Dallas
Chrissy Snow
Janet Wood
Terri Alden
Mr. Angelino
Felipe Gomez
and then the random ladies like Greedy Gretchen or Lana...hilarious!!

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lana was great! Love the episode when they went camping and Furley gets the cream from the store at the end.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched Skin Deep again yesterday.
It´s still a decent movie. I didn´t laugh much but it made me smile.

Funny jokes, beautiful women and lots of drinking.

It is widely believed that the character of Hank Moody in the TV series Californication
is loosely based on the character of Zachary Hutton. I loved the first season of Californication!

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i always loved john ritter. i think i saw every season of three's company and he was great all the time.

although i haven't seen it since it was on hbo, i remember really liking a made for tv movie he did called "the comeback kid".

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My boss went to Hollywood high with John Ritter he was their class president I think she's so cool lol

but really Skin Deep is what Atomik said..funny but not big laughs...I just watched it last year I believe. I remember the condom scene for sure.

Atomik I keep trying to remember to netflix Californication....thanks for the reminder!!

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't seen this in awhile. But I do remember Ritter being pretty funny in it.

And I like the theme song of the movie by Ivan Neville too.

Ivan Neville - Falling out of Love

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ritter will always be remembered since he was a big part of mine and many of yours childhood. Love the episode Jack the Tripper with Janet in her underwear. Was there ever an episode that did not have a misunderstanding. A Regal Begal shirt would be sweet also. Saw Skin Deep at the theatre and died laughing at the condom scene, thought it was great stuff at the time.
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home