iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Sixteen Candles (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Sixteen Candles
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was on regular Tv the other night....I started watching it...I could not believe my own mother has never seen this movie....she said..boy that guy is good looking (Jake Ryan)...I said...like duh mom, where have you been for 20 years.

I know this movie word for word....and I was watching it again and thinking about how many lines from this movie are things that if you say them ....everyone knows they are from Sixteen Candles.

I love Farmer Ted saying " Buy the Book" to his friends when he answers the phone, and they are "dying to know what happened".... and

I love when they are getting the 2 geeky friends out of the trunk of the car...one being John Cusak...(does anyone know what happened to the other guy-I have never seen him in anything but that movie-who is he??)....

I love when he says..."do you think they liked us?", and John Cusak says "Definately!".

I love Molly's brother-Justin Henry.....he is hysterical in every scene he's in.

This movie is so awesome, because every character in it...just blows you away with every thing they do through the whole movie.

It is such a perfect movie.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the greats..."Oh sexy girlfriend!"
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The way AMH delivers the line "I never bagged a babe!" cracks me up to no end, every damn time!
Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, I want to finally see some extras for this movie, outakes, anything. Even an E true Hollwood story that I know aired on the movie which I have yet to see.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, this movie doesn't get old. I can watch it everytime it's on tv. Hell, I watch the dvd constantly. There's just something about it.

The characters are genuinely funny. I love the grandmothers, especially Grandma Helen...The scene where she's attempting to make breakfast and has a cigarette with a really long ash hanging off the end in her mouth and says, "Don't wanna loosen the nails," and then puffs smoke all over the box of donuts and says "Voila, breakfast is ready," kills me everytime!

Billie Bird is so cute as Grandma Baker..."Look!, Oh look!"

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ISIS:

I love when they are getting the 2 geeky friends out of the trunk of the car...one being John Cusak...(does anyone know what happened to the other guy-I have never seen him in anything but that movie-who is he??)....

ISIS,

His name is Darren Harris. According to imdb.com he's in:

- Better Off Dead... (1985) .... Nerd #3
- Weird Science (1985) .... The Weenies
- Sixteen Candles (1984) .... Cliff

Here's his pic:

He's on the right...
 -

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
guess he didn't get too diversified in his roles [Smile] at least he got a name in Sixteen Candles
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As much as I love most 80s movies I think I love this one the most. It just has such a special place in my heart, probably because it reminds me of how life was when I was a teenager.

And to this day I STILL use the line :Wots hoppenin', Hot Stuff?"

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I always thought the Darren Harris geek guy was like a real life spitting image of Beavis, minus the stuttering, cackling laughter. I love this movie too, like the fact that the father plays a crazy hockey announcer in another of my alltime favorites Slapshot. And Geddy Watanabe is just too funny for words, I really want to see in the extras how John Hughes found and chose him.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ha! anytime my brother and i debate on something.. we always say, "i bet you a dozen floppy discs..!!" [Big Grin]

i love the geek squad in this movie!

-

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love these lines:

Jake: [Jake is now holding Samantha's panties] These are really hers?

The Geek: Yeah.

Jake: How did you get 'em?

The Geek: She gave 'em to me.

Jake: Did you...?

The Geek: No! She cranked for you. I told her you asked about her, right? The girl freaked. She had a hissy. She thinks you're the cats meow!

Jake: Really? She came up to me in the gym tonight. She looked at me like I was a leper.

The Geek: Girls will do that, Jake. You know? They know that guys are like in perpetual heat, right? They know they s.h.i.t, and they enjoy pumping us up. It's pure power politics. I'm telling you.

Jake: I thought she hated my guts.

The Geek: Games, Jake. Silly torturous games. You know how many times I've gone without lunch because some b.i.t.c.h borrows my lunch money? Any halfway decent girl can rob me - blind! Because I'm too torked up to say no. It's heinous, I'm telling you.

Jake: You better not be d.i.c.k.i.n.g me around. It'd be a major downer to try and get together with this girl and find out that she really does think I'm a slime.

The Geek: Jake, would I d.i.c.k you? Let me put it to you this way, what happens to me if I d.i.c.k you?

Jake: I'll kick your a.s.s.

The Geek: Right! So why would I lie? But I feel compelled to mention to you, Jake, that if all you want of the girl is a piece of a.s.s, I mean, I'll either do it myself, or get someone bigger than me to kick your a.s.s. I mean, not many girls in contemporary American society today would give their underwear to help a geek like me.

Jake: I can get a piece of a.s.s anytime I want. S.h.i.t, I've got Caroline in the bedroom right now, passed out cold. I could violate her ten different ways if I wanted to.

The Geek: [almost chokes on a pretzel] What are you waiting for?

Classic... [Smile]

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
haha great stuff Jdocster [Smile]

my favorite scenes are with anthony michael hall...

especially when they're at the dance and farmer ted takes sam out to the dance floor lmao! the oingo boingo song takes off - "Very hot! Very hot!" [Big Grin]

cracks me up!!!!!!

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love that photo....where did ya get it??

I have never seen it ever.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

i honestly don't remember, i've had it in my photobucket for a year or so.
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
That is so weird to see Haviland with a different hairstyle ....I knew her hair in the movie was a wig, and that she's a natural red head....but she must have had her hair colored during that time period. It is just weird to see all those people from the movie in clothes that you didn't see them wearing in the movie.

How cute is that outfit she's wearing...I love it.

I wonder every day...why girls don't go back to wearing clothes like that.

The 80's clothes were so cute.

cindymancini
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey NowhereGirl...yeah, good job with the photo!! I've had it too for years and meant to post it but you beat me to it! I wonder when that was taken cause Haviland Morris looks totally New Wave and the geeks almost look cool. Maybe this was them out of character on the set???

I have a few more pics from Sixteen Candles that are obscure. Some must have been from scenes we never got to see or just on the set candids...here goes!

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 -

-

-

pork pie mcfly

Member # 6802

54 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for pork pie mcfly   Email pork pie mcfly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Sixteen Candles
Watched it for the millionth time last nite. [Smile]

Posts: 235 | From: Hill Valley | Registered: Apr 2008 | Site Updates: 54  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These pics are great! You know, I klnow we all say we love Jake Ryan...but looking back at these pictures I realize how much he really did shape my life: I have ALWAYS preferred guys with dark hair and eyes and I think Jake Ryan might've been why!
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Member # 679

Member Rated:
I want to know what is up with the pic of Dong and Marlene at like a Drive-In Fast Food place?!? When the hell was this supposed to happen in the movie??? Oh wait, when they pull up at Jake's party there is a food tray attached to the car window and when Marlene kicks the car door closed with her foot, it falls off...So, there must have been a scene where they go eat after the dance and then go to Jake's party...where is this footage???? I mean, they built a set for this scene and everything?!?! Come on John Hughes...stop holding out!
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

wow cindy i have a few of those photos you posted. look at the last pic with jake ryan... my goodness, that's perfection.

and as for the first 2 pics cindy put up, with jake and samantha.. that has to be cut footage right? they are carrying their notebooks and stuff. does anyone know?

Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my guess is that those would have been taken the following Monday morning.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Yeah...what's up with the Donger holding the microphone...where was that at?
cindymancini
Member # 679

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by NowhereGirl:
look at the last pic with jake ryan... my goodness, that's perfection.

Yes, tis perfection NowhereGirl! And the kicker is that this man lives within 20 miles of me yet I can't find him anywhere. I just want to get a look at his face. I may need to refocus my search for Michael Schoeffling...I can do it. 2008 is the year [Razz] !

"Jakey have you stopped loving me???"

cindymancini
Member # 679

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by ISIS:
Yeah...what's up with the Donger holding the microphone...where was that at?

Good questions...all of them. I wish someone could solve the mystery.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home