iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Miami Vice

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Miami Vice
OConner880
Master Rewinder
Member # 415

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for OConner880   Email OConner880   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know what THIS is something they should put on DVD.. the complete series run of 'Miami Vice'. Between '84 and '89 Crockett, Tubbs, Castillio and Switek were everbody's hour of TV. I used so in love with Olivia Brown (Trudy) from back then, when she was younger. They only replay these episodes once a day Monday thru Friday on TNN, that sucks. The problem is whenever I get a chance to watch TV..theres NOTHING on. You've got your retard reality shows, your stupid "I Love (Kiss the Ass of) NY" citcoms and HBO's sad line up of terrible movies repeated over, and over, and over, and ov...If they sold something like 'Miami Vice' on DVD, I haven't seen all of these episodes in so long that THAT would be my hour or two a day of TV. You just put one in the machine and press play whenever you get to sit down and all there is is 'Will and Grace', 'Eat Dog Crap Factor' and all of those other sorry excuses for TV shows. By the way, whats everybody's favorite episodes of 'Miami Vice'...theres gotta be a few of you here.
Posts: 186 | From: Saint James, NY, USA | Registered: May 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the UK, a few episodes have seen an outing on DVD --probably in a test marketing exercise... The problem is, that at $15 for a couple of episodes, you gotta be one serious fan to buy the whole set.

Hopefully, the studios will wake up and release classics like this at a more realistic price --say $10 for 4 episodes with at least a decent "bonus disc" of extras for those who collect the lot...

What does everyone else think?

Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oconner asked:
quote:
...By the way, what's everybody's favorite episodes of "Miami Vice"?

For me, there were two episodes:

(1.) When Phil Collins played the role of a con artist. Phil's episode also featured comedian Emo Phillips.

(2.) When G. Gordon Liddy (convicted ex-felon from the Watergate scandal during the 70's, and now a right-wing radio talk-show host) played an arms dealer. It showed that Liddy, who never had any formal dramatic training, was a suprisingly good actor, especially in villain roles.

Other singers/musicians who made guest appearances on the show were Jan Hammer (who did the theme and background music), Tina Turner, Coati Mundi, Fiona, Glenn Frey, Iggy Pop, Little Richard, Willie Nelson, John "Bowser" Bauman (of Sha Na Na), Vanity, Sheena Easton, Isaac Hayes, Miles Davis, Gene Simmons (of KISS), Michael Des Barres, and Ted Nugent (in a suprisingly good performance).

Only in the 80's could a show like "Miami Vice" be a hit. I cannot imagine it coming out today because it would look so different.

On another newsgroup I once belonged to, there was talk of a feature-length movie version of the show, but with different actors. I hope that never happens, because it wouldn't be the same. And even if they did have the original cast, some of that 80's feel would be gone, because too much time has passed.

Just my two cents.

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
OConner880
Master Rewinder
Member # 415

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for OConner880   Email OConner880   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of my favorite episodes were 'Forgive Us Our Debts', which has an ending that still drives me crazy today..that sometimes trying to do the best thing to save someone's life could actually be the worst thing possible. Meetloaf's 'Standing On the Outside' featured in that episode turned out to be the only song by him I liked..everytime I listen to it reminds me of 'Forgive Us Our Debts'. Also 'Calderone's Demise', where we think we see the last of the turmoil between Rico and now dead Xavier Calderone. I remember the ending with the speed boat taking off from the harbor and Tina Turner's 'Whats Love Got To Do With It' was playing. 'The Afternoon Plane' turned out to be the return of Calderone (actually this time his brother, played by a young John Leguizamo. I really didn't like that one though, too much of this "Showdown at High Noon" feel to it. Olivia Brown was so hot back then, playing Trudy. I wish she never let her hair grow any longer than that, it covers those beautiful eyes of hers. There was another episode that I loved..can't think of the name right now though.
Posts: 186 | From: Saint James, NY, USA | Registered: May 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
“Miami Vice” won’t be coming to DVD anytime soon. [Frown]

Universal Entertainment’s Michael Denzel sent a notice to the 1980 crime drama’s fan site, www.miami-vice.org, saying that a DVD release is “nearly impossible” because of difficulties in getting rights to the music that was featured in the show.

According to Denzel’s notice, “We have no intention of releasing ‘Miami Vice’ at any time in the near future.”

Denzel further notes that the issue of “music clearance/royalties” has been “a major contingency for the production of consumer DVD boxed sets from other popular shows.”

Denzel also blasted fan-site members who had deluged Universal with e-mails about the program’s DVD fate. In particular, he decried “false rumors” and “hateful and negative feedback” from irate fans, and “suggested” to the fan site’s operator that the forum section be “permanently removed” if the issue was not resolved.

Source: Video Store Magazine

Why is it that the music industry (read music 'mafia') always has the last word? [Mad]

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevlar85
Rewind Curious
Member # 1706

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for kevlar85   Email kevlar85   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes it is out on DVD. Go here http://www.universal-playback.com/series.asp?series=17 - admittedly it is in the UK but you can buy it online and get it shipped over to the States and I think most DVD players are starting to be Multi-Region so you probably can watch it. Hope this helps.
Posts: 4 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smayt Shatner
Rewind Shaft -Can u dig it?
Member # 1500

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Smayt Shatner   Email Smayt Shatner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Miami Vice fans will probably get a kick out of Adam Sandlers movie The Wedding Singer.Before finding true love with Sandlers character,Drew Barrymore is dating a real jerk whose only redeeming quality is is love of Don Johnson/Miami Vice.One of the best scenes is when he speeds his car upto a nightclub front,opens his car door and he's playing the Miami Vice theme tune at full blast.He also wears Don Johnson style jackets all the way through the movie and his best line is when he's told he'll miss Miami Vice because of a prior commitment...'Nope ! re-runs !'.
Posts: 1201 | From: under everyone's bed...watching and waiting. | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kevlar85:
Hope this helps.

Unfortunately these are just the pilot and a few episodes.
But I guess it's better than nothing [Wink]

Thanks for the info kevlar85.

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevlar85
Rewind Curious
Member # 1706

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for kevlar85   Email kevlar85   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TKO:
quote:
Originally posted by kevlar85:
Hope this helps.

Unfortunately these are just the pilot and a few episodes.
But I guess it's better than nothing [Wink]

Thanks for the info kevlar85.

Yeah, I know how you feel. I have the same sense of annoyance over Moonlighting DVD/Video releases - they miss out most of the best episodes but at the same time it's better than nothing.
Posts: 4 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m brown
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 1682

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for m brown   Author's Homepage   Email m brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
miami vice was the best show i think because the storylines were incredible, some of which are far before their time. alot of times you dont know the conclusion until the very end... i mean like the last 5 minutes of the show, like at 10:55 if you went to the bathroom or had to go to bed well you probably didnt get what the whole show was about. it was great!!!!!!!!
Posts: 14 | From: home | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home