iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » BluRay SchmuRay.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BluRay SchmuRay.
Gigawatt?

Member # 4796

2 Updates!

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Gigawatt?   Email Gigawatt?   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it really worth buying my 80s collection all over again on BluRay? I'm assuming that when it comes to films this - ahem - old, there won't be that much additional material available that hasn't already been made available on the DVD versions. So the only incentive would be improved picture quality. Is it honestly that noticeable a difference?

I'm also a little wary that having a crystal clear and sharp picture will ruin the films of their nostalgic 80sness! I'd take DVD over VHS any day but BluRay is going too far dammit!

Posts: 106 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2006 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't speak for every release, but I did make the mistake of buying an HD-DVD player (in a feeble attempt to help stop Sony taking over the world) and I've gotta say that movies really look great (and my display isnt even full HD).

The main thing is the color... Does anyone remember how vibrant DVD looked after VHS? Well, the new HD formats make DVD look, well.. washed out and drab by comparison too. In Top Gun for example, in the scene at the beginning on board ship in the radar control room where the operators are saying that they've got Maverick and Goose out on patrol, they've lit that place with all kinds of crazy colors and they just come alive in HD. I've never really noticed them before. And the sunset colors during the beginning titles etc etc. And the HD sound is just MASSIVE!

Yes, IMHO its worth it, BUT its not just about detail and clarity.

-Just my $0.02

Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WolfmansGotNards
Ace Rewinder
Member # 5910

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for WolfmansGotNards   Email WolfmansGotNards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the biggest problem is the lack of 80's movies even available on Blu-Ray so far. I've got a whopping 4 80's flicks on the format (try and guess which ones!). Hopefully all the HD-DVD exclusive titles will get ported over soon in addition to more 'new' releases - I'm thinking every movie over on the left should be out ASAP [Big Grin]

Honestly, I've noticed quite a difference between standard DVDs and the Hi Def version. Sure you get better audio quality and better video quality, but theres this POP to it (like Nick said, the colorspace just seems more vibrant, the audio more explosive). It ends up feeling a bit more like a cinema experience than home video. It doesn't ruin the nostalgia, its just different... enhanced, crispy!

A lot of the 80's movies might not look as good as some of the new releases, but I saw Streets of Fire and Fast Times on HD-DVD and they both looked superb - I call it closer to the way they were meant to be seen!

And for all those titles not available to buy yet, the HD cable channels give a nice taste of what to expect (Can't Buy Me Love on HDNET... [Cool] ).

I guess its just a personal preference if you want to replace your DVD's, once they are available (and the discs aren't cheap).

Look at all the great films not even out on DVD yet, and DVD has been around a little over a decade - this isn't a decision you will even have to make for a while since there aren't even 1000 movies out on the format yet, and most of those are more recent films.

For all my rambling, the bottom line is, watch a classic on Blu-Ray and then you'll know if its worth it to you [Smile]

If you add my 2 cents, that means this thread is already up to 4 cents! Yay!

Posts: 400 | From: The 80's! Where else?! | Registered: Jul 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Can't Buy Me Love on HDNET... [Cool]
NO WAY!!!! OMG -- I'm drooling at the prospect... [Smile]
Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gigawatt?

Member # 4796

2 Updates!

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Gigawatt?   Email Gigawatt?   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Typical!

One minute you're perfectly happy with DVD. The deep, rich colours. The clear, pin-sharp picture. The mind blowing sound quality. It simply couldn't get any better . . . but then . . . you see BluRay and suddenly the colours of DVD appear washed out and drab. The image looks fuzzy, blurred. The sound is barely audible. The whole thing becomes an appalling mess and you end up wondering how on earth we ever managed to watch DVDs.

Personally, I was happy with just two blades on my razor.

[ 25. March 2008, 21:35: Message edited by: Gigawatt? ]

Posts: 106 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2006 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gigawatt,

Another thing to remember is that blu-ray players also play "standard" DVDs. Now you can talk yourself into buying one... [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
quote:
Can't Buy Me Love on HDNET... [Cool]
NO WAY!!!! OMG -- I'm drooling at the prospect... [Smile]
Nick,

There are lots of 80s movies popping-up in HD on the Dish Network as well. Think I'm going to start recording them. I need to get an HD DVD recorder though, otherwise they have to stay either on my DVR or I can move them to an external hard drive for now. Hmmm... [Wink]

Hey, when you're in the States, you should buy a blu-ray unit. Our dollar is very week now so you should get a good deal!

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrashesParties n TheValley
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course Blu-Ray is going to be a WORLD of difference compaired to a Standard-Def DVD(which consist of 480p) oppose to FULL HI-DEF(1080p) Even if your using a "Up Convert" DVD player it still is not HI-DEF in it's true form. But Up Converting is still better than a standard-def dvd. Beside you have to have a PLASMA or a LCD television in order for a UP CONVERT DVD Player to work(if you have a TUBE Television forgetabout)...You have to use the HDMI inputs..along with a top notch HDMI CABLE(Such as a MONSTER Cable). BLU-RAY is WONDERFUL!!! The Colors, the Sound, BLU-RAY just dont have that many 80s titles..and HD Players just lack titles periods. It's like VHS Vs BETA, VHS has MORE Movies than BETA did.
Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gigawatt?

Member # 4796

2 Updates!

Rate Member
I can see what's going to happen. I'll buy a BluRay player and a HiDef Plasma. Then I'll spend a fortune replacing my 80s collection from About Last Night through to Zapped! Then just as I'm about to purchase Zone Troopers - GREENRAY will be introduced and everyone will wonder how on earth we managed to watch the bleached out, hazy, two dimensional image of BluRay.

:D

WolfmansGotNards
Ace Rewinder
Member # 5910

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for WolfmansGotNards   Email WolfmansGotNards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the Blu-Ray release schedule mirrors DVD at all, Zapped! should be available sometime in 2017!

Can't wait [Big Grin]

Posts: 400 | From: The 80's! Where else?! | Registered: Jul 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morgan H.
Rewinder
Member # 6668

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Morgan H.   Email Morgan H.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WolfmansGotNards:
If the Blu-Ray release schedule mirrors DVD at all, Zapped! should be available sometime in 2017!

Can't wait [Big Grin]

Wolfman, that was hilarious. The only 80's movie I currently have on Blu-ray is Dirty Dancing (ok that might be even more hilarious [Wink] ) and I was hesitant to buy any 80's movies because my first thought was how much difference could there be in in a movie that is 20 years old. I was so wrong, Dirty Dancing was extremely impressive. Loved the extras.

Nick, I made the HD-DVD mistake as well. I was tired of waiting for the format war to end and Best Buy offered such a deal at Christmas. I did receive a call from Best Buy stating they were sending me a gift card to make up for my blunder which wasn't expected. I'm still picking up movies cheap for the HD-DVD which I'm not complaining about either. I'm happy Blu-ray won the war because it is definitely the superior format.

Posts: 31 | Registered: Mar 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
I'm happy Blu-ray won the war because it is definitely the superior format.
Well AFAIK the actual quility of the video/audio is theoretically identical, but Blu-ray includes Regional Coding just like DVD and a system that in the future will enable them to check your player/discs via the net and disable any player that has been modified etc!

(Admittedly this doesn't matter to you lucky USA peeps, but over here in little old Europe many titles never get released and we, understandably, want to get 'em from the US of A and play 'em without big brother zapping our player)

Plus Blu-ray isn't actually finished yet, with no player available that has the complete specification to play any disc...

So, you can see that a lot of Europeans weren't thrilled about a Blu-ray future and that's why I bought an HD-DVD player (no region coding, no big brother and a finished format) in a feeble attempt to stop that THX-1138 future from happening [Wink]

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
I'm happy Blu-ray won the war because it is definitely the superior format.
Well AFAIK the actual quility of the video/audio is theoretically identical, but Blu-ray includes Regional Coding just like DVD and a system that in the future will enable them to check your player/discs via the net and disable any player that has been modified etc!

(Admittedly this doesn't matter to you lucky USA peeps, but over here in little old Europe many titles never get released and we, understandably, want to get 'em from the US of A and play 'em without big brother zapping our player)

Plus Blu-ray isn't actually finished yet, with no player available that has the complete specification to play any disc...

So, you can see that a lot of Europeans weren't thrilled about a Blu-ray future and that's why I bought an HD-DVD player (no region coding, no big brother and a finished format) in a feeble attempt to stop that THX-1138 future from happening [Wink]

Nick,

Are you kidding? That really sucks! So you would have to connect your player via a phone line or internet connection to enable this feature... There's got to be a hack for this. If not now, then in the near future.

You think it's bad in Europe, look what they're doing in the states:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuBo4E77ZXo

It's a new world we live in... [Frown]

Cheers... [Big Grin]

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by jdocster04:
So you would have to connect your player via a phone line or internet connection to enable this feature...

Well, there's talk that *all* Blu-ray players might eventually *have* to be connected to the net to "authorize" playback of discs...

...Let 'em in the door and then, when they rule the world, they can do whatever they want. I'm not anti-Sony at all, but they've been trying for decades now to get an exclusive format that they control to be the world standard for entertainment... Now with Blu-ray, they just might've done it...

Lets see what a benevolent master they are now we've all handed them the keys... [Wink]

HeadRusch
Master Rewinder
Member # 3755

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HeadRusch   Email HeadRusch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CrashesParties n TheValley:
[QB] Of course Blu-Ray is going to be a WORLD of difference compaired to a Standard-Def DVD(which consist of 480p) oppose to FULL HI-DEF(1080p) Even if your using a "Up Convert" DVD player it still is not HI-DEF in it's true form. But Up Converting is still better than a standard-def dvd. Beside you have to have a PLASMA or a LCD television in order for a UP CONVERT DVD Player to work(if you have a TUBE Television forgetabout)

Uh, no. Plenty of HDTV Tube sets in the world today that do 720p or 1080i, and some that can do 1080p when properly motivated.

quote:

...You have to use the HDMI inputs..along with a top notch HDMI CABLE(Such as a MONSTER Cable).

Second No. A $10.00 HDMI cable will work just as well as a $80.00 cable assuming you get a good $10 cable, its only when you get into longer runs of cable that the brand and quality may be more important.
Posts: 125 | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to disagree...There's a reason way one HDMI cable cost $200 and another cost $10.. all HDMI cables aren't created equal. The length of the cable does has little to do with the performance but it's not the main factor. Does your HDMI cable have 24k gold conductors or stainless steel conductors? Is your HDMI cable Gas injected?(N2) Is the HDMI cable Certified full 1080p or 720p/1080i? What about the "gbps" how fast of speed does the cable have? Does the HDMI cable have 8-bit, 12-bit or 16-bit color? What if your TV has a 120hz refresh rate..a $10 cable wont have that on it? These are just a few of the feature that a GOOD Quality HDMI cable will have. I like MONSTER cables because there good quality cables and MONSTERS DONT DIE(lifetime guaranty on all there cables) It's a shame too because i see it everyday at my JOB..People will spend up to $400 on a BLU-RAY a couple of grand on a PLASMA or LCD and buy a cheap HDMI cable and wonder why it doesn't look as good as it did in the store..DUH??? your using a crappy HDMI cable.
Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
CrashesParties,

No offense but I've done a bit of reading about the difference between high dollar vs low dollar HDMI cables and I found that there is no difference between them. Here are some articles that explain this:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/upgrade/4235717.html
http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/2/19/7116

Here's a good "cheap" site for cables. I buy all of mine from here.

http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

I too bought the $100.00 Monster cables then compared them with the cheap ones from monoprice.com and there was NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL... I brought the Monster cables back the next day.

Just trying to save you some money... [Smile]

HeadRusch
Master Rewinder
Member # 3755

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HeadRusch   Email HeadRusch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crashes, with due respect.....please stop spreading disinformation.

There are always "quality" issues in cables, but that is completely exclusive of PRICE.

$10 cables can work just as well as $100 cables.

This has been proven time and time again by reputable magazines and online websites who specialize in such comparisons.

Monster, and other "boutique" cable manufacturers have been proven time and time again of not really offering anything more than other cable manufacturers.

Now, having said that, there is nothing wrong with Monster Cables.....except their price.

[ 17. April 2008, 10:37: Message edited by: HeadRusch ]

Posts: 125 | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WolfmansGotNards
Ace Rewinder
Member # 5910

Member Rated:
HDMI and DVI are digital paths. If you get a bad HDMI cable you'll have connection dropouts or no signal at all - there will be no difference in picture/sound quality at all, regardless of cable price. In fact there can't be a difference! Thats the nice thing about digital, either you have a signal or you don't [Smile]
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
oops i forgot this is the rewind and were not suppose to have or express our own views and opinions if everybody else don't agree with them...So sorry if "you" think i'm spreading mis or dis information...I'm basing MY opinion off everyday real-life usage. I've used a $20 cable and it stop working in less than 3 weeks..so that's why i suggested MONSTER..Your right the RETAIL price on those cables are high..But i dont have to pay retail prices for mines [Wink]
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chill dude.

To add my 2 pence worth I bought a HDMI cable for 8 english pounds for my PS3 and never had any problems with it.

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by CrashesParties n TheValley:
oops i forgot this is the rewind and were not suppose to have or express our own views and opinions if everybody else don't agree with them...

Ouch! I hope that isn't how everyone feels [Frown]

As far as I'm concerned everyone is welcome to their opinion as long as they don't get rude to people about it...

As far as the this cable issue is concerned, IMHO cheap (or minimally engineered) cables over short lengths will probably be fine, but over longer lengths (10-15 metres for example), a better engineered cable is liable to be more stable...

-Just my own 2 pence worth.

Morgan H.
Rewinder
Member # 6668

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Morgan H.   Email Morgan H.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Take it back and get the more expensive one, the more expensive ones are always better. Not it, then what is it honey?'

Randy or Tommy?

Ouch, I thought Nick was talking to Julie from Valley Girl for a minute. My bad. Hey VG is a Blu-ray I'd buy in a minute.

Posts: 31 | Registered: Mar 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
I didn't mean that I thought Valley was being rude. I just meant that the only time we step in on people expressing their opinion is when rudeness is involved... [Smile]
Morgan H.
Rewinder
Member # 6668

Member Rated:
quote:
I didn't mean that I thought Valley was being rude. I just meant that the only time we step in on people expressing their opinion is when rudeness is involved... [Smile]

Nick, I was so joking, just the debate about cheaper versus more expensive reminded me of that scene in Valley Girl.
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
Ahhh... You're so right! Missed that one.. Sorry! [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home