iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » best 80s Disney animated feature

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: best 80s Disney animated feature
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
December 21st marks the 70th anniversary of the release of Snow White and the beginning of what has really become the Great American Storytelling Tradition (let's face it, thousands of years from now when future cultures look back on the impact of American culture, Disney animated features will be prime examples thereof). So to celebrate, might as well ask the children of the 80s on here (the other decades on this forum will be included as well) that out of:

-The Fox and the Hound,
-The Black Cauldron,
-The Great Mouse Detective,
-Oliver and Company, or
-The Little Mermaid,

Which one was the best? For me it has to be TLM. As I think I've noted in previous threads here on it, I'm not usually a chick flick person, but I knew the moment the ads first started coming on 18 years ago that it was going to be something special. It was the perfect conglomeration of the right people at the right time, particularly with Howard Ashman coming on board, and they managed to put together an absolutely solid story--one not afraid to be dark and frightening at times, which I think is a must for a successful Disney feature--backed up by perfect visuals and songs. And while some people complain about changing the ending, my thought process is that it's the right way to end it for the story they wanted to tell (and truthfully, I had read Andersen's original tale about a year and a half prior to release, and then another animated feature--from Japan, I think--based more closely on it, and they just didn't seem to have "it" while this did for me). The perfect way to kick off what became the Disney Decade.

Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of those, The Great Mouse Detective was the best for me. Overall though (for when you get to it!) , you've got to go with the most critically acclaimed - and that would be Beauty And The Beast, the only animated movie ever to get a Best Picture nomination.
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Fox and the Hound...it was a sweet movie.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rainbowbrite22
Given the choice, Duckie would have been Luckie...
Member # 2288

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Rainbowbrite22   Author's Homepage   Email Rainbowbrite22   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for me its oliver and company and the little mermaid i loved both of those movies as a kid and still love watching them on a sick day [Smile]
Posts: 1270 | From: GA the peachie state :) | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trinilith
Rewind Curious
Member # 6398

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for trinilith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The little mermaid..when I was a kid I used to "try" to sing along with the movie..which in turn would bring my brother from upset to angry because he had to watch it with me. His reason for watching it was because there was nothing else to do.
Posts: 8 | From: Northwestern Ontario | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home