iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » 2 versions of movies?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2 versions of movies?
Aruba4me
Senior Rewinder
Member # 6258

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Aruba4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This has always bothered me and I hope someone can give me an answer. I will specifically mention "The Goonies" and "Little Darlings" as I know that what I'm going to mention happens with these movies; there maybe more, but I don't know for sure.
In "Goonies", I have on DVD, they don't show a scene that I have seen occasionally aired on tv. When they come out of the water slides and before they head over to the ship, they encounter a huge octopus. Data even mentions to the reporters at the end of EVERY version that I have seen as "the octopus was really scary". Where there 2 versions released- a tv version with the octopus scene and a theatrical/DVD version released? I don't think anyone even mentions the octopus scene on the special edition DVD or in the commentary.
The other "scene deletions" I have noticed happen twice in "Little Darlings". After Ferris finds out her parents are getting divoriced, she takes a canoe out in a storm on the lake(dummy), which Angel has to rescue her from. Also, when the girls decide to tell Ms. Nichols what really happened with Ferris and Gary, the girls take turns going into the cabin to tell her. I have seen both of these scenes only on 'some' tv airings. Neither scene is on my VCR tape version (it isn't out on DVD yet).

So are there versions made for tv and why wouldn't they be available in every format on DVD? Did I hallucinate those scenes? Please explain and tell me I'm not crazy? Thanks.

Posts: 71 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hewzy
Rewind Guru
Member # 6043

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for hewzy   Email hewzy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you seen the Goonies scene when they all go into the shop, and they bump into Troy in there. I think he dunks one of them into the freezer. That scene isn't on my video version. I always noticed the bit at the end when Data talks about the octopus. i used to think 'what octopus'
Posts: 729 | From: Birmingham, England | Registered: Sep 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Often movies will be cut for TV, whether removing or adding stuff. Number of reasons: scheduling, time of broadcast (pre or post- watershed), commercial breaks, unregulated audiences (you can't enforce PG / R18 ratings when you broadcast a movie into people's homes) etc.

What you'll also find is that often, the DVD release also differs from both the general movie theater release AND the TV version - the reasons may be less clear, but often a different cut will be supplied.

Sometimes these differences cause plot holes (such as 'what octopus') but mainly they are done well.

Of course, CLUE had four versions - three different endings and the one with all three - on purpose!

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WolfmansGotNards
Ace Rewinder
Member # 5910

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for WolfmansGotNards   Email WolfmansGotNards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Paul said, sometimes a different cut is supplied to a tv station for some mysterious reason. Sometimes it might be to pad out the running time, but that is pretty unlikely these days (the amount of proramming per hour is decreasing while the amount of ads increases...).

I always wondered about the octopus as well, but I picked up a pack of Goonies trading cards a long time ago, and that was my proof it existed [Big Grin]

Take a look:

-

I haven't gone through all the dvd special features, but I'm surprised they don't have that scene on there [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 400 | From: The 80's! Where else?! | Registered: Jul 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WolfmansGotNards
Ace Rewinder
Member # 5910

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for WolfmansGotNards   Email WolfmansGotNards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, the Octopus scene is on the Goonies dvd (the deleted scenes are in the special features section under "outtakes").
Posts: 400 | From: The 80's! Where else?! | Registered: Jul 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Te-em
Rewinder
Member # 5958

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Te-em   Email Te-em   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a movie called Legend, that has a US version, a European version and a TV version. However, there is a DVD called Ultimate Edition that is the most complete, and also contains the theatrical edition. Even the music is different.

They often do this with movies because, when it's first released, maybe it's to long so they had to cut it. Later, they decided to release an extended version if the movie is popular. And maybe they change the music as well.
For instance, Metropolis was cut from 3h to 1h, but now there is a version almost around 3h.

The strange thing about Legend though, it that the US verison has scenes that's not in the European verison and the other way around. So even if the Eu. version is longer, the US version still have scenes it does not have.

And Pocket Monsters, Mewtwo Strikes Back, has 3 version of what I know. A VHS version (the original, very, very rare!), a DVD version (with bad 3D effects, also rare) and a very censored version (even the story is changed) with the 3D effects from the DVD version.

Posts: 33 | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steven Carter
Rewind Curious
Member # 6335

1 Update

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Steven Carter   Email Steven Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, too, have examples of the TV, and theatrical film versions of films.

First up: LEGEND.

It's true that the syndicated TV version was longer than the U.S. theatrical version, but that was due to the inclusion of scenes from the U.K. version of the film with Jerry Goldsmith's music cues intact.

And next we have The Sword and the Sorcerer.

Alternate versions of some scenes were filmed for the TV version in order to keep the running time, including commercials, at two hours.

Check out the two trailers on Anchor Bay's DVD edition to see an example of this.

AIRPLANE! also had some scenes added to the TV version to pad out time, check them out on the " And Don't Call Me Shirley!" DVD edition.

But the biggest offender of this was Terry Gilliam's BRAZIL, with a total of three versions known to movie viewing mankind.

Version 1: U.S. Theatrical. Released by Universal when BRAZIL won all those film festival awards. Not a director approved cut.

Version 2: TV version or "Love Conquers All" cut. What Universal would have released if BRAZIL didn't win all those awards. Cut by Universal into an incoherrent muddled mess with a happy, feel good ending that was the complete opposite of the director's intent. Absolutely not a director approved cut.

Version 3: DVD version. As close to a director's cut as we are ever going to get.

Check out Criterion's DVD edition 3 disc edition of BRAZIL to see the DVD version of BRAZIL and the "Love Conquers All" version and compare the two and ask yourself "Why did Universal hate this film to do this to it?"

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AIRPLANE! also had some scenes added to the TV version to pad out time, check them out on the " And Don't Call Me Shirley!" DVD edition.

It seems the ZAZ team almost does this on purpose, since the TV cuts of almost all their films are at least a good 10 minutes or so longer than the theatrical prints, and some of the TV footage often is relatively significant to the plot (for example, TV viewers can see the East German High Command get their commuppance as Omar Sharif crushes them into their cars as they did to him at the end of Top Secret, but for whatever reason that's not in the generally released edition).

Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home