iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Ok, now I need help...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ok, now I need help...
aceofspades70
Senior Rewinder
Member # 6247

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for aceofspades70   Author's Homepage   Email aceofspades70       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...with the name of a movie.

The only scene I remember is where a group of about 3-4 people are walking through a large warehouse and wonder where one of their accomplices are.

They turn around and see him from behind a good distance, but then notice a garbage truck racing up from behind him.

The guy is deaf, so naturally he can't hear the garbage truck. They start waving at him and he thinks they are waving because they are glad to see him.

He waves back, and at the last second realizes there is something wrong and stops in his tracks.

*WHAM* The garbage truck hits him. That scene was shot in a clever manner.

Posts: 90 | From: Nashville, TN. | Registered: Nov 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilash
Master Rewinder
Member # 6155

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for evilash   Email evilash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds so familiar, could it be Maximun Overdrive? Now I am going to go crazy trying to figure that one out. [Confused]
Posts: 327 | From: Lebanon, OH | Registered: Oct 2007 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WolfmansGotNards
Ace Rewinder
Member # 5910

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for WolfmansGotNards   Email WolfmansGotNards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't usually answer unless I know the title for sure, but could it be 1990's Men At Work? I haven't seen it in a long time, but it has garbage trucks in it [Big Grin]
Posts: 400 | From: The 80's! Where else?! | Registered: Jul 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aceofspades70
Senior Rewinder
Member # 6247

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for aceofspades70   Author's Homepage   Email aceofspades70       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks ya'll! I will check those titles and see what actors I can find, you know, being "systematic" like the Terminator.
Posts: 90 | From: Nashville, TN. | Registered: Nov 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think so, there weren't any deaf people in that one. Dead, yes, but not deaf, and the garbage truck does hit anyone, just dump its contents all over the bad guys.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WolfmansGotNards
Ace Rewinder
Member # 5910

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for WolfmansGotNards   Email WolfmansGotNards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I just ff'd through Men At Work and I didn't see any scene where someone gets hit by a garbage truck.

The scene does sound a bit familiar to me as well though... I'll ponder it a bit more!

Posts: 400 | From: The 80's! Where else?! | Registered: Jul 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
james Andrews
Master Rewinder
Member # 1425

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for james Andrews   Email james Andrews   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could have been the great Men At Work, but I don't recall there being a deaf person in the film.  -
Posts: 168 | From: Bedfont, England | Registered: Apr 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aceofspades70
Senior Rewinder
Member # 6247

Rate Member
Well guys, this has been a bit of a stumper for most forums.

What I liked the most is the thought behind the scene/shot.

The group (of about 3-4; male and female) is walking along through a large warehouse,

They wonder where "deaf guy" is, (no offense to the deaf)

One of them turns around and sees the "deaf guy", then says to the others, "hey there he is!" (or some variation of dialogue)

They all turn and wave at him. Then they see the garbage truck appraoching.

Then they start waving frantically; he waves back to acknowledge, then realizes that something is wrong.

The brilliant part of this shot is that the "deaf guy" stops with his hand up in the air for the last second (camera front/slight angle/close up), then it cuts to a profile shot of him getting hit by the truck. (with his hand still in the air)

Naturally, it was a prop that got hit by the truck.

jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's Maximum Overdrive...
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
don't remember any warehouses in Maximum Overdrive
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aruba4me
Senior Rewinder
Member # 6258

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Aruba4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember any deaf guy in "Maximum Overdrive", just the one kid's dad who gets blinded by the gas at the pump. He DOES get wasted by a truck that plows into him though, it's just that he can't see it.
Posts: 71 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aceofspades70
Senior Rewinder
Member # 6247

Rate Member
Ah ha. Well, I'll rent MO sometime and see if it's in there just to make sure. Heck, it will be a good reminise of an 80's film.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home