iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Favorite dance movie (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Favorite dance movie
evilash
Master Rewinder
Member # 6155

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for evilash   Email evilash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went through a phase where I watched Dirty Dancing all the time. Sometimes if the house was too quiet I would pop it in for background music and noise. I slowly weaned myself from it and now I only watch sometimes. That is my favorite dance movie. [Big Grin]
Posts: 327 | From: Lebanon, OH | Registered: Oct 2007 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blues Brothers, and it has a strong story to back up the choreography.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I tend to like the movie "Sing" only because I was in charge of my school's Sing.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Footloose and Dirty Dancing tie it. They sure don't make em like that anymore....
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually hate SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER plot-wise but the soundtrack is so good that whenever its on TV I leave it on while I do my housework.
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dirty Dancing and All That Jazz are my faves.
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What did everyone think of Dirty Dancing 2? I'd heard nothing but bad things about it, then finally seen it the other month and thought it was alright, quite enjoyable. But I think more of a one off film, can't see myself sitting down to watch it again.
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilash
Master Rewinder
Member # 6155

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for evilash   Email evilash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The poster made it look cheesy. I didn't even want to rent it.
Posts: 327 | From: Lebanon, OH | Registered: Oct 2007 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for me...
staying alive, salsa, the breakin movies, & fast forward...among others [Smile]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NowhereGirl:
for me...
staying alive, salsa, the breakin movies, & fast forward...among others [Smile]

I'm right there with ya on the Staying Alive! Great movie that never gets any rec. I also love Dirty Dancing [Smile] !
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is Fast Forward by the way?? Never heard of it...
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bjjunegirl
Rewind Curious
Member # 6199

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for bjjunegirl   Email bjjunegirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dirty Dancing definitely awesome!

But I love Girls Just Want To Have Fun too! The cheesy costumes are just too much!

Posts: 6 | Registered: Oct 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mane1980
Rewind Guru
Member # 4240

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mane1980   Author's Homepage   Email Mane1980   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dirty Dancing
Girls Just Want to Have Fun
Footloose
Breakin'

Posts: 631 | From: From Out of this World | Registered: Jul 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mamamiasweetpeaches:
I actually hate SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER plot-wise but the soundtrack is so good that whenever its on TV I leave it on while I do my housework.

Mamma,

Come on really? What about the scene with Travolta doing the line "I look like Al Pacino... attica attica" in front of his grandmother... It's classic... ;-)

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilash
Master Rewinder
Member # 6155

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
I agree with Mamma, SNF is awful. What's worse is that people like it and hate when others don't but it really is stupid.
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
I've still not seen SNF.
evilash
Master Rewinder
Member # 6155

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Good, don't.
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well you sort of HAVE to. And when you DO come back and tell us what you thought of it!

I love the "dont touch my hair" scene where Travolta is at the dinner table with a table cloth wrapped around him so his new shirt doesnt get dirty....but aside from that..... I dont know.

I saw SNF on a double-bill with GREASE as a kid and for as good as I thought GREASE was watching SNF let all the air out of my balloon. I really didnt get the appeal. Even to an extent that iw atch it over and over again so I can try to get a grasp on its nation-wide appeal!

Hey, does GREASE count as a "dancing movie"??? If so then I change my answer!

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No - Grease doesn't count! [Razz]

It's a musical, but not really a dance movie - in the same way (unfortunately) that The Blues Brothers doesn't count.

Flashdance, DD, SNF, Breakin', Footloose, all of these have dance as a central plot theme, and therefore count as dance movies.

As for SNF - it's not a stupid movie, it's just not to some people's taste. It was certainly ground-breaking at the time of it's release, the soundtrack is a modern classic, and it made a large sum of money at the box office and since through vhs and dvd sales.

It's definately one that people should make their own minds up about.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilash
Master Rewinder
Member # 6155

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
The soundtrack is good, but I was bored watching the film. Youre right, you do have to make up your own mind about it. But why was it ground breaking. John Travolta shows us he can dance in a hideous suit...oh boy! He did the same thing in like 3 other movies and it was just a frivilous. (Pulp Fiction was entertaining though.)
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was ground-breaking because no previous movie had tackled the then-current disco scene in such a way - using a popular fad as a backdrop to a harder, darker way of life for the primary characters.

Sure he did it in other movies as well, but then that's why SNF was ground-breaking - it was the first.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rainbowbrite22
Given the choice, Duckie would have been Luckie...
Member # 2288

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Rainbowbrite22   Author's Homepage   Email Rainbowbrite22   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for me its footlloose . dirty dancing. and flashdance
Posts: 1270 | From: GA the peachie state :) | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mamamiasweetpeaches:
...Hey, does GREASE count as a "dancing movie"??? If so, then I change my answer!

To me, if the characters are singing (with or without dancing), then it's a musical.

Dancing movies are noted for their dancing but not singing.

"Grease" and "The Blues Brothers" are musicals, not dancing movies, even though the songs have dancing in them.

I consider "Saturday Night Fever", SNF's sequel, "Staying Alive", as well as "Beat Street", "Breakin'", "Body Rock", and even "Urban Cowboy" to be dancing movies.

Somebody mentioned "All That Jazz", which, IMHO, walks a fine line. It's not a "traditional" type of musical, and only few characters actually sing in the movie. And some of the other song numbers are recordings. But there's a lot of dancing in it, because it's about the life and times of a Broadway director and choreographer (mostly based on the film's director, Bob Fosse)!

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilash
Master Rewinder
Member # 6155

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
We still could do without Travolta's dancing. I like him movies where he's not trying too hard like Look Who's Talking.
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

shudder...

Look Who's Talking?

shudders again...

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home