iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Why you love the 80's (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why you love the 80's
minna
Rewind Curious
Member # 5984

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for minna   Email minna   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everything must've been better in the 80s. I was born in -88, and I spent my first school years in the 90s. While other kids were listening to Scooter and stuff, I listened to my Dad's old cassettes including Pet Shop Boys, Modern Talking etc. I was hooked on the 80s.

As for the movies, I've always loved the action movies of the 80s. They just don't make action films like that anymore. I hope this new John Rambo released next year will be something better. In the 80s action movies you can feel the impact! That's the thing I like bout em.

Also, almost all the truly magical movies to me were made in the 80s. I love Karate Kid, I love Flashdance, I love those "children of their era".

I have to mention the colors. In the 80s, it's very much the colors that capture my interest. Pink and turquoise, black and white with a touch of pink, pastel colors from Miami Vice, you name it. They all look great, and it hasn't been the same after the 80s. Thank God for flea markets.

I almost forgot my passion! LPs are something totally cool, they sound somehow better than the digitally remastered CDs, I dunno. The covers were great in the 80s, thanks to those lovely colors again! Cassettes also have a nice nostalgic touch.

So, that's what I have to say bout my huge interest in the 80s. I would've wanted to be young back then.

PS. Unicorns, weren't they something truly 80s? Well, I just love em.

Posts: 4 | From: Finland | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Chloe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I wasn't alive in the 80's. But I absolutely love 80's movies!

I've been watching them since I was five years old. So, in a way I grew up with them. In the sense that I've been watching them since I was so young. I seem to connect with them better. I usually find a character in an 80's movies that I can relate to better. I love them so much! [Smile]

Posts: 232 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jdocster04:
Well, for me it's the connection to my childhood and early adulthood. Your teenage years are really some of your best (even if you didn't know it at the time). These are important formative years, and, much of what you learn during this time stays with you the rest of your life. Watching these 80's movies is a direct connection to this. It's like when you smell something you haven't smelled in years, and, the memories come flooding back. Actually, smell has a strong link to memory and memory recall. The other day, I smelled some cologne that I haven't smelled for a long time, and, it took my right back to the 80's. Also, these child years were your innocent years. You were shielded from all of the crap that you have to deal with now.

Exactly - I couldn't have said it better myself. I was in late elementary school in the early '80's, through graduation of high school in the late '80's - so I definitely consider this decade my "formative years". I.e., before mortgages, car & other payments, house issues, family responsibilities, work, etc.

I also see it as a simpler time, before Internet/Social Media/Twitter, cell phones/I-phones, etc.

That being said, there have been a lot of improvements in technology since the '80's that help us appreciate the decade much more in the 21st century, i.e.:

1) DVD's & Blu-ray's of '80's films - it's great to see these movies the way they're meant to be seen, i.e. in Anamorphic Widescreen format with remastered picture, sound, etc. Conversely, the only way to see films (other than the theater) in the '80's was on VHS tape, and those were all pan & scan/cropped versions of the movies.

2) Going along with the above, entertainment technology has, overall, gone down in price to a great extent. I.e., back in the '80's VCR's were somewhat expensive, and if you wanted to buy a movie on VHS tape this was upwards of $70! Which is why most people rented them.

Laser Disks (which I never had) were quite expensive as well - both the LD player & the LD's themselves.

Conversely - these days, you can go into a store and buy a movie on DVD/Blu-ray for less than $10 (in many cases), and an entire season of a TV show on DVD/Blu-ray for $20 - $60 (roughly).

Also, early CD players in the '80's were extremely expensive - they went down in price quite a bit over the years; I didn't get my first CD player until the 1990's.

3) Obviously, without the Internet we wouldn't be able to come on here & discuss '80's movies on forums/sites like this.

[ 11. October 2016, 11:10: Message edited by: Nostalgic for the '80's ]

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 80s were just such a great time to be a kid. I was born in '79 so I got to fully enjoy the huge plethora of awesome kid's toys & games we had back then. I only wish I could have held onto some of those cherished childhood toys I had back then. Sadly, nearly ALL of them have vanished over the years.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyro:
The 80s were just such a great time to be a kid. I was born in '79 so I got to fully enjoy the huge plethora of awesome kid's toys & games we had back then. I only wish I could have held onto some of those cherished childhood toys I had back then. Sadly, nearly ALL of them have vanished over the years.

Agreed - even though I'm a lot older than you, I still remember the great '80's toys/video games.

Madballs (which I never had), Garbage Pail Kid Stickers, MUSCLE, Sectaurs toys, Star Wars, G.I. Joe: ARAH, Masters of the Universe, Thundercats (never had any of these either), Power Lords, etc. I still think the '80's was the best decade for kid's toys.

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sdbax1@comcast.net
Rewind Curious
Member # 37396

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for sdbax1@comcast.net   Author's Homepage   Email sdbax1@comcast.net   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jdocster04:
gordongecko,

Well, for me it's the connection to my childhood and early adulthood. Your teenage years are really some of your best (even if you didn't know it at the time). These are important formative years, and, much of what you learn during this time stays with you the rest of your life. Watching these 80's movies is a direct connection to this. It's like when you smell something you haven't smelled in years, and, the memories come flooding back. Actually, smell has a strong link to memory and memory recall. The other day, I smelled some cologne that I haven't smelled for a long time, and, it took my right back to the 80's. My brother used to wear it all of the time, and, I hated it. People who grew up in the 50's, 60's, 70's etc, do the same thing. Also, these child years were your innocent years. You were shielded from all of the crap that you have to deal with now.

[Smile]

I couldn't have agreed with you more on everything that is said here. There's a connection that you have to the 80s movies that keeps you wanting to repeatedly watch them over over and again and again.
Posts: 7 | From: Lithonia, Georgia | Registered: Nov 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home