iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » New Cover Art vs. Original Cover Art??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Cover Art vs. Original Cover Art??
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With all the new dvd releases of our 80's favorites, I got to thinking about the cover art. I have to say, I prefer the original in most cases. What do you guys think? Here are some examples.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And a few more...
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too love the old artwork on the DVDs. It's just got a good feel about it. Most of the new ones seem cheesy.
Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valleygirl
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 5628

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for valleygirl   Email valleygirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i agree the old artwork is much better..especially Night of the comet. "They came. They shopped. They saved the world." ~thats one of the worst!
Posts: 24 | From: california | Registered: Feb 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MONSOON
Master Rewinder
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for MONSOON   Email MONSOON   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah you know when one of the stars of the movie make a comment about the new cover art. Its pretty messed up. In most instances I think the changes werent that bad. BUUUUTTTT NOTCs new cover art just plain sucks. Course it didnt stop me from buying it. [Wink]
Posts: 264 | From: Bainbridge , GA | Registered: Jan 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheResurrection
Master Rewinder
Member # 2326

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TheResurrection   Email TheResurrection   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The covers should come from the original posters. They always are the images you remember most I believe.
Posts: 125 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with the new covers is that many of them just look photo-shopped, so they all lack the creative depth of the originals. There's nothing there that couldn't be done by someone on a home PC with a few days practice.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of the new ones above I prefer. They offer better quality of image - stuff like SKOW and PiP suffer a little if you just reporoduce the original. They don't really lose the meaning behind the picture and it's relevance, but the shots we see on the new packaging are much clearer, and from a marketing and promotion view they will help to sell more discs.
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
99% of the time the new artwork is atrocious, that Night of the Comet DVD cover is terrible! extremely bad photoshopping, I could do way better than that but I wouldn't want to because I'd just go and use the original poster or VHS cover as has been pointed out that's what you remember from the film.

Another bad thing about most of the new covers is how they used a different font for the title of the film, not only the photo/drawing of the original cover matters but the font used for the title.

The new SKOW cover would have worked if they used the original font, but as it stands it looks like a cheap copy of the original.

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The SKOW and PIP covers weren't as bad as they could've been, although SKOW would've been better with the original font. But as Wizard says, most of the new covers look pretty darn bad (and amateurish), just look above at 'No Small Affair' and 'Revenge of the Nerds', they look cheap and simplistic, and they're a pretty fair representation of what's out there.

The last batch of Star Wars DVD's (the ones with the theatrical editions) had photoshopped versions of the original covers - bad clunky looking cut-outs of the cast in poses taken from the original paintings! Because ILM developed the technology, it's understandable that they'd use it, but for everyone else there's no excuse other than penny pinching.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
haha i like the NO SMALL AFFAIR cover,.."it won't be the last time she'll rock a younger man's world" [Wink]
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I was laughing at the same thing. I haven't seen that movie in a long time, is it worth watching again?

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Willow
Master Rewinder
Member # 4953

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Willow   Email Willow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I tend to like the original artwork best. Maybe it is just a nostalgia thing for me.
Posts: 105 | From: Indiana | Registered: Aug 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Member # 679

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Devolution:
Devolution here,

I was laughing at the same thing. I haven't seen that movie in a long time, is it worth watching again?

We are DEVO

You're talking about No Small Affair, right Devo? I saw it for the first time like 3 years ago and I really enjoyed it. The cast is great. Besides Jon and Demi, you have E.G. Daily, Jeffrey Tambor, who is widely recognized from The Ropers, the multiple characters he played on Three's Company & Mr. Mom, Anne Wedgeworth, who also starred on Three's Company as Lana Shields, George Wendt from Cheers, Jennifer Tilly and Tim Robbins. They all do an awesome job! It's worth the price of admission [Smile] !

Additionally, it was nice to watch Jon Cryer in a movie other than Pretty In Pink. I found this, Hiding Out and Morgan Stewart all around the same time and was happily surprised! Check it out if you get a chance!

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
I found this, Hiding Out and Morgan Stewart all around the same time and was happily surprised!
Maxwell Hauser for President!

With 'O.C. and Stiggs', 'Dudes', and 'Superman IV' you'd have the whole essential 80's Jon Cryer collection.

Mane1980
Rewind Guru
Member # 4240

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mane1980   Author's Homepage   Email Mane1980   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somethimes the new ones are not that bad, tough I still prefer the old ones. The new ones, I feel like they try to appeal to something aesthetic but they end up lacking the feeling of the movie.
Posts: 631 | From: From Out of this World | Registered: Jul 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home