iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Blow Out

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blow Out
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Criminally underated Brian De Palma film, excellent performances by John Travolta and Nancy Allen, any fans out there?
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCWBobC
Master Rewinder
Member # 2525

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JCWBobC   Author's Homepage   Email JCWBobC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have it on Laserdisc & still watch it whenever I catch it on TV.

Bob

Posts: 314 | From: NJ | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Burnett
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9924

5 Updates!

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Burnett   Email Burnett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a fan too. I like Body Double just a bit more, but I love Blow Out too.
It's a very suspenseful and masterfully crafted thriller, but also a protest against the American politics in that time, and above all it's a reflection on and an ode to movie making!
The opening scene, a parody on the slasher-genre, is one of my favourite scenes of all time... ironically, this single scene has more quality than any other slasher (except for the opening of Halloween maybe).

Posts: 87 | From: Belgium | Registered: Aug 2011 | Site Updates: 5  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i found the ending a bit bizzare, good but bizzare, i prefer body double too.
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Burnett
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9924

5 Updates!

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Burnett   Email Burnett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean the "it's a good scream" scene? I thought that was beautiful.

(spoilers ahead)

A broken man's kind of morbid but touching homage to the woman he loved. Also it may be an action to punish himself because he feels so guilty.

[ 27. August 2011, 16:33: Message edited by: Burnett ]

Posts: 87 | From: Belgium | Registered: Aug 2011 | Site Updates: 5  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah the use of the scream, i liked it but i felt it was kind of twisted
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I recalled that this is a good movie but it was much better. Almost a masterpiece.

Loved the movie within a movie opening and all those quiet scenes, Travolta doing his stuff.
Lots of familiar De Palma faces among the cast and they all did a fantastic job.

All the usual camera tricks are here, Vilmos Zsigmond did the cinematography and Pino Donaggio composed the score.
He also has some pop influences this time and it sounds awesome. The Arrow blu includes career spanning Donaggio interview which was a nice surprise.

Highly recommended!

The ongoing scream queen joke
 -

Posts: 6758 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I revisited this for the first time in a while the other year when i got the Arrow Blu Ray through on rental and it's such a fantastic movie with Travolta at his best,i would have to say that this is probably one of my favourites​ or if not my very favourite of De palma's movies!

Plus i would have loved to have watched this in the theatres when it first showed as i bet you could have heard a pin drop after that shock ending!

[ 24. April 2017, 05:35: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3076 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Author's Homepage   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blow out is a good suspense flick and yes, I agree, pretty underrated. It's probably 3rd on my list of favorite De Palma suspense films behind Body Double and Carrie. And the fantastic movie score by Pino Donaggio is worth mentioning again too. Donaggio scores in De Palma films were some of the best in the 80's. That's why they worked together on several films. They were pretty much equal to the team of Tim Burton/Danny Elfman with how well they meshed together on screen.

[ 24. April 2017, 16:28: Message edited by: Pyro ]

Posts: 1685 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Master Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blow Out is one of my favorite films, and one of top five favorite De Palma movies. Intense, suspenseful, with a kind of neo-noir "vibe" to some extent. Being a huge movie fan, it was cool to see the Travolta character play a sound tech. on low-budget films.

Obviously the car crashing into the water at the beginning of the film was "inspired" by the real-life event that occurred in the early '70's, involving a famous politician.

Posts: 340 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Jedi
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Blow Out" is a great film. I'm not a big fan of Travolta, but he was excellent in this.

I might have to watch it tonight.

Posts: 1493 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Legend
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a masterpiece and the best DePalma film. (Though Carlito's Way is a very close second.) I saw it in a theater on opening day with about six other people. I'm not sure the rest of the "crowd" understood the significance of one of cinema's most deeply depressing and profound endings. I think Travolta has never been better, including his Oscar nominated performances. And the last scene of him is simply unforgettable, such powerful acting. You know his character, now just a destroyed shell of a human being, will be hearing that in his head for the rest of his life. I dare anyone not to be moved.

I love Pino Donaggio's scores for DePlma, who has worked with some of the best--Donaggio, Morricone, Herman...

Posts: 1883 | From: America's Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moroder! Scarface next [Smile]
Posts: 6758 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Legend
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moroder too! LOL The slot for "third favorite" DePalma film is a tough one for me with so many great choices, but I have to go with an undisputed classic--one of the best horror films of all-time--the original Carrie. (Do I really have to pass over Phantom of the Paradise, Casualties of War, Scarface, The Untouchables, and Dressed to Kill? [Smile] )
Posts: 1883 | From: America's Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home