iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » MTV just ain't what it use to be

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MTV just ain't what it use to be
JETTA00
Senior Rewinder
Member # 240

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for JETTA00     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It might as well be called NMTV for No Music Television. MTV hardly plays normal videos anymore and if they do they're on in the wee hours of the morning when no one is up or they play them on TRL which only plays like half of the video then goes to the next one. I just think that when MTV first came out in the 80's it was awesome because it's served the purpose of it's name-MUSIC TELEVISION-they actually played music videos. Now they have shows like Road Rules, Real World, Undressed, Dismissed, and millions of hourse of commercials. I know they came out with MTV2 which is like a premium channel you have to pay for. The MUSIC should be on MTV and the shows should be on MTV2. Anyone agree with this??
Posts: 64 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. MTV (or as I call it, "Empty Vee") stopped becoming a music-related channel ever since their insistence on doing "reality TV" shows in the early 1990's. "The Real World" was an interesting concept, but it has long since outlived its freshness.

VH-1 is more tolerable, though.

But it seems ironic that there are more cable channels, but less music-based outlets for music videos.

The reason: MTV has no real competition. MTV, MTV2, and VH-1 are all owned by the same company, Viascum, oops! I mean, Viacom.

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and I almost forgot to mention this...

Go to the following site, and think Jetta will agree that MTV is now crap!

(click below):

http://podudes2000.tripod.com

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to see someone noticed. MTV is ridiculous now days. Hardly any vids..
What a bunch of bull it has become.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  | Report this post to a Moderator
JETTA00
Senior Rewinder
Member # 240

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for JETTA00     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you StevenHW and Ronnie...I thought I was the only person who thought it was just a bunch of idiots on the MTV screen. Thanks for that site StevenHW it was great.
Posts: 64 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Viacom actually owns a GOOD music network...VH1 Classic. You want the good music videos from MTV's glory days and earlier, plus rarities out the ying-yang? VH1 Classic has 'em in spades and hearts.

Here are some examples of cool videos I've seen on the channel...

"I Love You" by Yello (way better than "Oh Yeah", and underplayed to the point of non-existence...it's a shame this song isn't better known).

"Don't Lose My Number" by Phil Collins (yes, 'twas played a lot...still, I like his spoofs of The Police, The Cars, Elton John and "The Road Warrior").

"Something Special" by Patti LaBelle (the theme from "Outrageous Fortune" [GRATUITOUS PLUG: I did the write-up on this movie for the website, check it out], and it comes complete with George Carlin again playing Frank Madras, the "Indian" tracker, this time leading LaBelle to a Western bar to perform a song. All the while, clips from the movie are put into brilliant synchronization with the song).

VH1 Classic...the pearl among Viacom's swine.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...the Rock Steady Flamethrower

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Timea
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 1318

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Timea   Email Timea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed. Loved it up to like '90 and have not been able to watch it since. VH1 is entertaining, though.
Posts: 15 | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fandangoose
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 1417

- posted      Profile for fandangoose   Email fandangoose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't want my MTV! IT SUCKS! In the 80s it ruled, but by the 90s, it was already a joke, and VH-1 was quickly sucked under also. Fortunately we can download those great old videos, well, most of them. Trying to get Daryl Hall's "Dreamtime", though, is a nightmare! In conclusion, most music sucks these days anyway, so good 80s-style videos probably wouldn't save it.
Posts: 15 | Registered: Apr 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitkat3232
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 1390

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Kitkat3232   Author's Homepage   Email Kitkat3232   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mtv has a new channel (here in east lansing michigan anyway) Its called MTV hits. It plays mostly new videos but they do show some older ones as well. My daughters are addicted to it. Its exactly like the old MTV. All music all the time!
Posts: 13 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BG
Rewinder
Member # 1351

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for BG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MTV are sellouts. I only thank my lucky starts for VH1 Classics. If you love rap, reality tv, and are a 13 year old kid, MTV is the thing for you. OOOOOOOOO how I miss Headbanger's Ball...
Posts: 38 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr Roboto
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 1424

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Mr Roboto   Email Mr Roboto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who remembers the GREAT 80's videos?

Genesis - Land of Confusion
Ah Ha - Take on Me
Michael Jackson - Thriller [he was BLACK in this video!] [Big Grin]

Posts: 20 | Registered: Apr 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
BG wrote, in part:
quote:
...OOOOOOOOO how I miss Headbanger's Ball...
BG:

Guess what? Well, you're just in luck: "Headbanger's Ball" is returning!
(Click below)
http://www.sacbee.com/state_wire/story/6532075p-7482717c.html

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home