iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Official "Lucas" Appreciation thread

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Official "Lucas" Appreciation thread
the_haimster
Rewinder
Member # 4485

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for the_haimster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being a huge fan of Corey Haim i decided to buy this film about a year ago. I also really liked Kerri Green who is brilliant in this movie. What i discovered was that how can a film so very good and yet realistic be so unknown amoungst all the other 80's teen classic heavyweights.

This film is made to perfection and i always wish that Corey was a year or two older in it so he could get the girl (Kerri Green.) In the end however he does get a girl more his character's type in the movie.

Can anyone remember this movie being released and how it faired at the box office and what effect it had on the 80's teens?

Posts: 45 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCWBobC
Master Rewinder
Member # 2525

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JCWBobC   Author's Homepage   Email JCWBobC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw Lucas in the theater when it came out. I think it did pretty good box office wise but other than being a good movie it didn't really change my life or make me look at things differently.

Bob

Posts: 314 | From: NJ | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought Lucas was a sweet movie. I like the end, where they give him the jacket and chant "Lucas, Lucas."
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cryed the first time I saw the ending. Sometimes I still teaar up at that part.
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pettyfan:
I always thought Lucas was a sweet movie. I like the end, where they give him the jacket and chant "Lucas, Lucas."

very simillar to the slow clap ending on "Can't Buy Me Love"
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lucas was a very heartwarming and charming little movie. Corey Haim seemed to have endless potential at this point. It is especially cool to see Wynonna Ryder in, I believe, her first major film. I think I've seen the DVD of this at Wal-Mart for like $5.50. Definitely worth it!

P.S. Locusts are cool.

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lovin' Dave Grusin's synth music too.. Esp Lucas's theme that the movie starts with. Anyone know where I could get that?
Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Exorcism of Sammy Hain:
quote:
Originally posted by pettyfan:

very simillar to the slow clap ending on "Can't Buy Me Love"
 -

I showed Can't Buy Me Love and a bunch of other similar style 80s movies to a friend and she really like that one out of the bunch.

Lucas is a great film, the scene where he's dragged up on stage and starts clowning about is great, very pleased to have it on DVD.

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nacho rasines
Rewind Curious
Member # 8782

3 Updates!

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for nacho rasines   Email nacho rasines   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
Lovin' Dave Grusin's synth music too.. Esp Lucas's theme that the movie starts with. Anyone know where I could get that?

it's so difficult to find it. i recorded it with my i touch from this video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjy73KwO1Ig
that synth is so touching, now that Corey's gone

Posts: 4 | From: Santander (Spain) | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have the score to Lucas. if you are still looking for it, let me know.
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The score was released on CD, so it is available.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I got it.. Its prob still available from Varese Sarabande... [Smile]

It's made me discover more Grusin too... Still lovin' his work [Smile]

Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grusin is the underrated composer of the 80's: 'Author Author' / 'Tootsie' / 'My Bodyguard' / 'Lucas'. Not to mention all his earlier output. He's terrific!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
musicman
unregistered

21 Updates!

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile]

[ 05. February 2015, 15:48: Message edited by: musicman ]

| Site Updates: 21 IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Two Lost Souls
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 8863

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Two Lost Souls     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched Lucas the other night for the first time...and I loved it! It was such a sweet movie. And I admit, I got misty at the end when they gave him the jacket.

They didn't really elaborate, but are we to assume that Lucas finally realized that Wynonna Ryder's character liked him? I would have liked to see that relationship further.

But this is such a great, underrated movie.

I've been watching a lot of Corey Haim movies lately and it's so sad because he had so much potential as a child actor. Very, very sad situation.

Posts: 27 | Registered: May 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome you watched Lucas for the first time....it really is underrated for sure. I ALWAYS get misty at the end......and I might throw my arms up in the air everytime too!
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love "Lucas", but this might be the hardest of the Corey Haim films for me to watch just yet. He is so young and his character is a picked on underdog.. sad at times though triumphant in the end. Muffy's double arm raise rating is a plus..
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sometimes get a little misty eyed from this film. Not as often as I used to though. But one part that I do always become somewhat choked up at is the part where Lucas is spying on Maggie and Cappie in the Pizza resturant parking lot where they first kiss. That's because I know what that feels like because I had a very similar thing happen to me when I was younger. But yeah, this is a good movie..definetly a muct have for any 80's film collector.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched Lucas again and it really is a classic.
The story, the cast, the score... fantastic!

Was this really the original movie poster?
If so, i think that they should have made a better one.

-

Then again this finnish VHS cover art ain´t that good either.

-

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Was this really the original movie poster?
If so, i think that they should have made a better one.

Atomik! I looooooove that poster! It sums up the movie in a single image and a single phrase! It is the height of economy. One of my favourite 80's movie posters!
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that is a really good poster from a good shot in the film.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home