iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Anything similar?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anything similar?
noikz
Master Rewinder
Member # 1000

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for noikz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched "The Boys Next Door" again the other week (I love that movie) and I've just finished watching "That Was Then This Is Now" with Emilio Estevez for the first time. I found them both a little similar, low budget, simple, gritty mixed with a tad of 80's cheese with awesome soundtracks.

The problem is, I want more, can anyone think of something similar?

Posts: 239 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Feb 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think The Boys Next Door is one of the most disturbing movies I have ever seen. It was so horrible to watch, I thought it was well acted, and a good movie for the kind of movie it was, but it was so horrible what they did, I don't know what other movie I have ever seen that made me feel as sick to my stomach over it as this movie.

Did you ever see Shattered Spirits with Martin Sheen?? It is along that lines too- gritty, and similiar characters.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noikz
Master Rewinder
Member # 1000

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for noikz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Iris, yeah it was a little disturbing but I think if you saw it again today you'd find it a little easier to watch. The violence seems almost cartoony.

There's just something about these movies I like, the two friends, the realisation of growing up, coupled with the locations and the music plus I'm a big fan of 80's Charlie and Emilio.

I like the sound of Shattered Spirits, I've just ordered it, thanks for the reccomendation. [Smile]

Posts: 239 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Feb 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your welcome.

Actually I watched The Boys Next Door for the first time last year. There was another Rewinder on here who also loved this movie...and I like watching movies that are harder to find and kind of dramatic. I thought the violence was more realistic than anything I have seen even today...it seemed like something you could picture happening. Charlie Sheen acted like he was clueless half the time, and he kind of didn't seem to be so bad, but he wasn't stopping anything from happening either.

Did you ever see the movie The Guardian?? With Martin Sheen and Louis Gossett Jr.?? It is gritty, and disturbing too. It is a great dramatic movie though....I think you might like it too.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noikz
Master Rewinder
Member # 1000

Member Rated:
I've not seen "The Guardian" and I can't find it on DVD either, I'll make sure I check it out if I notice it on TV.

You should take a look at "That Was Then, This is Now" with Emilio if you haven't already, it's nowhere near as violent/disturbing as "The Boys Next Door" but has a similar theme. Great 80's soundtrack too, one of those full of songs you can never find. [Frown]

Saint_in_London
Master Rewinder
Member # 2575

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Saint_in_London   Email Saint_in_London   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I'm the guy Isis mentions who likes The Boys Next Door...........
The 2 moives i would recommend to you both are also starring memebers of the Sheen family. The more violent and disturbing of the two would be Bad Lands with Martin Sheen, a really good film, and also Wisdom starring Emilo Eztevez as a decent guy gone bad ish! its also got Demi and a bit part for charlie sheen in it...

Posts: 226 | From: London, England | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The *0s movie "Subutbia" is really distrubing. It has Flea from Red Hot Chili Peppers in it. I had a hard time sitting through the first time I saw it.
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saint_in_London
Master Rewinder
Member # 2575

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Saint_in_London   Email Saint_in_London   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also try Badboys - starring Sean Pean.
Posts: 226 | From: London, England | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Saint-in-London, I knew that it was you....where have you been??? You were MIA for a long time, I thought one of the Boys Next Door got to you. Glad to see you back.
imawalkingcorpse
Master Rewinder
Member # 1675

1 Update

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for imawalkingcorpse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm I have never seen the Boys Next Door, maybe I oughta try to find it, I like being disturbed.
Posts: 199 | From: Overland Park | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saint_in_London:
Also try Badboys - starring Sean Pean.

Saint_in_London, this movie doesn't get the recognition it deserves. Sean Penn is brilliant in this movie. The softdrinks in the pillowcase trick is still disturbing to this day.

]  -

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saint_in_London
Master Rewinder
Member # 2575

Member Rated:
Hi Isis, ive just been lurking, no time for posting recently.

Its been a long time since ive seen Bad Boys Valley but of course the cans in the pillow case scene sticks in my mind.

There is a sort of ish english version of this (bad boys school etc) with a similar scene but replacing snooker(pool) balls in a sock for the pillow case and cans...

This is even more voilent and disturbing, its called Scum, starring the very young Ray Winston.

***WARNING*** Isis stay well away from this one, trust me your not going to like it. ive seen it a few times and its still disturbing!

Saint_in_London
Master Rewinder
Member # 2575

Member Rated:
oh the link...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079871/

ok i guess its 70s really......

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Thanks for the warning, but I have seen Bad Boys quite a few times. It wasn't as disturbing to me as The Boys Next Door.

Wasn't it an accident that Sean Penn kills that little boy at the beginning...I know he was robbing something...and the boy snuck out of the house and gets killed.

One of the most disturbing things is Ally Sheedy being raped.

The kid that plays Horowitz was really good.

It is funny because Reni Santoni plays Dirty Harry's new partner-Chico, and I knew as soon as I saw him I remembered him from something, and my mom said...he's the counselor/guard in the movie Bad Boys.

We just were talking about the movie Bad Boys because of him.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home