iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Any good fantasy adventures?? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Any good fantasy adventures??
Sir Didimus
Rewinder
Member # 4701

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Sir Didimus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everybody,

I'm a new member, just loving the site!
My favourite films are the fantasy adventures Willow, Big Trouble in Little China and Labyrinth.
Can anyone recommend any other fantasy adventures or films along these lines?

Thanks

Posts: 31 | From: Ireland | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Sir Didimus (or in the immortal words of Cameron: "Gadamnit call me sir!")

As far as fantasy adventure goes, it doesn't get much better than 'Ladyhawke' with Rutger Hauer and Michelle Pfeiffer. Great film.

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about Legend with Tom Cruise and Mia Sara (Sloan from Ferris Bueller) or The Neverending Story?
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Didimus
Rewinder
Member # 4701

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Sir Didimus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Kash I will def check out Ladyhawke.

Cindy, I have seen Legend and NeverEnding story and absolutely love them both!!!

Thanks anyway!

Posts: 31 | From: Ireland | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about The Goonies? Ain't nothing better than that!
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brandon777
Master Rewinder
Member # 4014

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brandon777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love these kind of films too. Here are some that I think are cool.

Clash of the Titans
The Sword and the Sorcerer
The Beastmaster
Krull
Dragonslayer
Flash Gordon (It's the movie from 1980. It's not medieval, but it's a cool fantasy movie.)
Conan the Barbarian
Conan the Destroyer

[ 15. April 2006, 21:20: Message edited by: Brandon777 ]

Posts: 239 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you allergic to anime? if not then these Studio Ghibli films should be right up your street:

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds (1984)
Laputa: Castle in the Sky (1986)
Princess Mononoke (1997)
Spirited Away (2001)

Ghibli has ceated a lot more anime over the years but I think these are at the higher end of the fantasy spectrum. At the reality end of the spectrum lies Grave of the Fireflies (1988), you can't watch it without crying but I highly reccomend it.

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Didimus
Rewinder
Member # 4701

Rate Member
Thanks Ali I have watched Goonies as many times as I've had hot dinners "HEY YOU GUUYYYYSS!!!!" But cheers all the same.

Wizard, would I find these anime films easily on e bay?

Brandon 777 thanks for all your recommendations..I know most of them but answer me this, is Beastmaster the one with the ferret or something? And are there three witches in it?

Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one with the three witches is "Clash Of The Titans", which is mysteriously cool. Also, you get to tangle with Medusa.

"Flash Gordon" is a cult classic. The soundtrack from Queen rocks.

I don't know if "Highlander" qualifies as Fantasy Adventure, but I'll mention it nonetheless.

I just thought of one more, how about "Time Bandits"? A young boy accidently joins a band of dwarves as they jump from time-period to time-period looking for treasure to steal.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Didimus
Rewinder
Member # 4701

Rate Member
Valley, I know Time Bandits but have not seen it for a long time. You've put me in the mood now! Yes I know about the witches in clash of the titans but are there three witches in Beastmaster? Also, what is the film about a male witch who cuts someone's finger off to get a special ring?
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sir Didimus, yep they probably are available on eBay, they've all been released on region 2 DVD so are available from places like play.com sentit.com etc., however if you're a subtitles fan and not a dubbing fan then you may want to look at getting the region 3 versions from somewhere like cd-wow.com (search for Ghibli) as they often have Japanese 5.1 audio whilst the US/UK versions often only have Japanese 2.0 audio.

Disney have bought the western distribution rights to the Studio Ghibli films (I think they're jealous of the quality [Wink] ), providing them with an English dub so the kids can enjoy them too, personally I can only watch them in original Japanese with subtitles.

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brandon777
Master Rewinder
Member # 4014

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brandon777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Didimus:

Brandon 777 thanks for all your recommendations..I know most of them but answer me this, is Beastmaster the one with the ferret or something? And are there three witches in it?

Yes. Beastmaster has three witches and there are two ferrets that he communicates with.
Posts: 239 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brandon777
Master Rewinder
Member # 4014

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Didimus:
Also, what is the film about a male witch who cuts someone's finger off to get a special ring?

I think that's "Warlock", but I'm not sure.
Saint_in_London
Master Rewinder
Member # 2575

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Saint_in_London   Email Saint_in_London   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come on guys, all together now.....THE PRINCESS BRIDE!!!
Posts: 226 | From: London, England | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Didimus
Rewinder
Member # 4701

Rate Member
The Princess Bride was on TV the other day. Watching it brought back memories for me as my dad hired this for me and my friends to watch at like my eighth or ninth birthday party. Fred Savage was such a cutey, shame he didn't stay that way.
Saint_in_London
Master Rewinder
Member # 2575

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Saint_in_London   Email Saint_in_London   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You also might want to check this one out, I saw it back in the 80s. I can't remember if its any good, although it seems to have produced another 3 in the series according to IMDB so seems it must be atleast popular

Deathstalker (1983)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087127/

Posts: 226 | From: London, England | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ed raynes
Rewind Curious
Member # 4682

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for ed raynes   Email ed raynes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome. I'm new here also. Oh yeah, Big Trouble in Little China was great. The critics bashed it at the time, but I consider it a classic.

Have you seen the Boy Who Could Fly?

Posts: 7 | From: Lebanon, PA | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed someone mentioned Krull. That was a cool fantasy flick!
Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Didimus
Rewinder
Member # 4701

Rate Member
Ed,

Yes, Big Trouble IS a classic!!! My favourite scene is the street fight scene with the three storms. Oh and I love when Kurt Russell dresses in the suit and glasses and goes to the brothel looking for a girl with green eyes. He is hilarious! Yes I have watched The boy Who Could Fly, although not for a very long time. I remember I had such a crush on Eric!

hbsjack
Rewinder
Member # 4639

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for hbsjack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The labyrinth is my absolute favorite fantasy movie. I know it beginning to end, word for word, it's pretty sad really. Anyway, her are ac couple of other good ones.

Dark Crystal
The Last Unicorn
Unico
Secret of Nimh
Merlin
Flight of the Navigator
and of course, the lord of the rings, not really 80's but still a fantastic fantasy film.

Posts: 33 | From: Indiana | Registered: Mar 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Didimus
Rewinder
Member # 4701

Rate Member
hbsjack,

IF SHE'D KEPT GOIN THAT WAY SHE WOULD'VE GONE STRAIGHT TO THAT CASTLE!

I'm so glad someone loves Labyrinth as much as I do. It is a classic! I have just bought a really cool Labyrinth T-shirt actually.

hbsjack
Rewinder
Member # 4639

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for hbsjack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL! Yeah, that's my 'anytime' movie. If I'm happy, sad, bored, angry, whatever. It's the best. My least fave line from that movie is "Well, come on feet" Who talks like that?? I would have stayed there with David Bowie and all his spandex glory and help raise my baby goblin brother, but, hey, that's just me [Wink]
Posts: 33 | From: Indiana | Registered: Mar 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Didimus
Rewinder
Member # 4701

Rate Member
Yeh me too! I would spend my time with the talking rock faces and I would love to smell the bog of eternal stench just for the craic. Tho the orange goblins (I forget their names!?..the ones that dance around the fire) scared and still scare the crap out of me. So I would prob want to go home after a while.:-)
hbsjack
Rewinder
Member # 4639

Rate Member
"HEY, YOU CAN ONLY THROW YOUR OWN HEAD"
Sir Didimus
Rewinder
Member # 4701

Rate Member
hee, hee, very good!

"AW PLEASE, I HAVEN'T SAID IT FOR SUCH A LONG TIME!"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home