iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » opinions about Fast Times (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: opinions about Fast Times
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is all coming back to me though...didn't Linda say she had sex when she was 13???

I don't believe her!!!! My kid turns 13 in 2 months...and I can't even go there! What a liar she was. [Razz] [Wink] [Big Grin]

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
13? Ewwwwww! (ewwwwww for Linda,not your sone Isis [Smile] )
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_haimster
Rewinder
Member # 4485

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for the_haimster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can i just ask being that Fast Times is well over 20 years old now if the movie was shown to teens of today would it still appeal to them or would they hate it?

your opinions?

Posts: 45 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isis, a girl I used to be friends with lost her virginity at 14 so it's possible...scary but possible.

Good question haimster, I think the movie does still appeal to teens today. They know how cool the 80's were and you can't find a better example than Fast Times. Furthermore, just go into a Hot Topic store or even Wal-Mart and look at all the t-shirts they're selling. They're all old 80's movie or 80's tv shows. Heck, I just bought a Fast Times t-shirt and a Miami Vice t-shirt. You don't see Can't Hardly Wait or 10 Things I Hate About You shirts out there do ya? I'd also venture a guess that we won't in the future either. I'll post pics later!

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean Madonna wasn't a virgin?

The Tooth Fairy

Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cindy-I know it's way possible. I have seen girls at 12 be pregnant. I just think it is so young, and Linda was saying in the movie...it's no big deal, it's just sex. Sex is a really big deal. People should take it more seriously. I think it has gotten worse than better...with the amount of kids that are sexually active at such a young age. My kid is a kid still...he doesn't even think like that yet...I mean he drools over the Victoria Secret commercials...but as for girls...he has girls chasing him around school already...that like him, but he's totally thinking their nuts. I am sure it will all change very soon, but I don't wanna rush him, because you are only a kid for a short amount of time.

I watched Fast Times just a few weeks ago with my friend who's only 19, and we watched Private School and she asked to borrow it to show her friends, and Fire with Fire is now one of her favorite movies, and she loved Little Darlings. I think these movies are way more appealing to teens of today than any new movie, because they are more realistic, the actors were really good, and they had a way about them that made you admire them...I don't get the sense of that in movies today.

It's like even though they were teenagers..they did teach something in that movie...Mr. Hand taught Spicoli a very subtle but valuable lesson about being considerate of other people around you, and not to be self absorbed.

Jennifer Jason Leigh thought having sex was all cool, until she got pregnant and had to go through an abortion, after having gone through that she decided it wasn't all it was cracked up to be, and decided to hang in a platonic relationship with Mark Ratner...so it really wasn't totally trashy.

Brad Hamilton was a hero at the end, and stopped the guy from robbing the store, so it had morality to it...knowing what's right from wrong.

In today's movies, everyone just seems so mean and mad about everything, and willing to stab each other in the back for no reason.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imawalkingcorpse
Master Rewinder
Member # 1675

1 Update

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for imawalkingcorpse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it would popular today as well. I think alot of the teens and early 20somethings today wish they were alive and had grown up in the 80's. I don't remember anybody wearing any sort of retro clothing when I was a teenager, but now there is ton's of it.
Posts: 199 | From: Overland Park | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isis said: "In today's movies, everyone just seems so mean and mad about everything, and willing to stab each other in the back for no reason."

That is stereotyping like I have never heard it before. People have been stabbing each other in the back in countless movies in the past not just now. Remeber Gordon Ghecko in Wall Street? Remember Last American Virgin? Valley Girl? Private School? These are just a few of the 80s movies. I can go all day naming...

Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marty McFly
Master Rewinder
Member # 4403

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Marty McFly   Email Marty McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it seem like there was alot of leftover '70s style and attitude in it (albeit with a "beginning '80s" feel coexisting with it - i.e. the mall)?

For example, I know there were alot of teens in the '80s who looked down on smoking weed (I'm not just talking about celebrities, or others I've seen on TV, but real people I knew at that age who might've babysat me or something). Yet, Spicoli and his buds were unabashed surfer dude potheads. Yeah, it was an R rated movie, so they had more free room for stuff like that, but still, I couldn't see that premise working in, say a 1987 era John Hughes movie.

The finalized script was probably written in 1980, and filmed in 1981 for a 1982 release, so it would make sense that it still relied on the '70s attitude a bit in terms of what was cool.

Posts: 136 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marty McFly
Master Rewinder
Member # 4403

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Marty McFly   Email Marty McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nice Guy Sammy_Hain:
Just want to get everybodys opinion about Linda; Phoebe Cates character from Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

All during the movie she talks about how experienced she is with sex and that she has Doug an older more mature person from Chicago as a boyfriend. But every time I watch this movie I become more and more convinced that Doug is a figment of her imagination and that she is in fact a virgin.

agree? disagree?

That's a very interesting POV -- I admit, I never really thought about that possiblity before (and, I'm the biggest movie nitpicker about stuff like this! LOL), but I definitely see what you're onto.

Well, let's be honest, we all have exaggerated stuff to our friends or people we see at work/school, etc. Perhaps Doug was based on a real guy, but she exaggerated the "relationship" they had. In other words, perhaps they went on one date that didn't go so well, but she didn't want to let it go. Combine that with wanting to brag to her friends, and it (possibly?) makes sense.

I think if she were entirely making him up (which is possible), she wouldn't have been as "obsessed" with him and such.

Posts: 136 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marty McFly
Master Rewinder
Member # 4403

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Riptide:
She comes off as being this so-called experienced woman in the cafeteria, but she gets all grossed out with Judge Reinhold in the bathroom.

Who wouldn't be? LOL! If that's not embarrasing, I don't know what is, hehe. [Wink] [Eek!]

Plus, it caught them both off guard.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home