iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Has there been a better teen movie sense Fast Times? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Has there been a better teen movie sense Fast Times?
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll agree that this is definitely one of those 80's movies with a 70 's hangover...but you're bound to get that the first couple years of every decade right? Just like there are plenty of early 90's movies with 80's hangover I can think of.

Now, has there been better teen movies since Fast Times?

My answer is yes, alot of them in fact.

At the risk of getting pummeled...I'm gonna have to say FTARH has worn itself pretty thin on me. I can't watch the whole movie anymore..It just bores me to tears. I think Paul's review post above says it best....

quote:
Originally posted by My other car's a Paul-sche.....:

And so whilst I wait for the flames to begin, let me say why. Characters were OK - a little stereotyped maybe, but OK. The soundtrack was great. But here's my problem..... what was the story? There appeared to be nothing actually going on, apart from 'here's a few months in the life of a school'. Nothing really happened to constitute a plot, or a story, or much of anything at all. If anything, it played like a 90 minute long soap that took the characters not from A to B, but from A back round to A, via C (which was a place where nothing really happened). And there were no characters you could actually love, or actually hate. Sure some kids got laid, one got knocked up, and others got high, but that's nowhere near enough for a plot......

...my feelings are pretty much the same as his on this movie.

And if you want my opinion on a better movie than Fast Times as far as movies about hanging out in a mall...then my pick would be "Mallrats". Total 90's flick all the way...but still very very funny to me. I can definitely watch that one over and over again.

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm sure there have been tons of great movies since Fast Times, but I don't see why it has to be either / or. I thought I'd replied to Paul's post many moons ago, but failing that here's my feelings:

The reason Fast Times works so well for me is precisely because it has no story. It isn't trying to take you through the A, B and C of a Hollywood storyline. It shows you the lives of some kids in a slightly compressed / exaggerated (though based on truth) school year. School itself has no story; it's an ongoing soap-opera with a large cast of characters. When I look back at my school years and say to myself "What happened?" The answer has to be; "Nothing". I went to school, hung out with friends, read comic books, listened to music, watched movies, went for long walks in the woods, and hoped that in the future I might grow up to be someone who had a great life and got to be with the right girl (boy, that was a vain hope!)

That's what I like so much about Fast Times; everyone is more or less passing time focusing on the issues of 'now' while real life ticks away around them.

Another movie that makes me feel the same way; 'Meatballs'.

'Pretty in Pink' and 'Can't Buy Me Love' are great movies, but they're three-act movies just like most other movies. I wouldn't ever choose Fast Times over them, but I'm glad Fast Times exists precisely because it doesn't follow such a linear narrative, which makes it just a little more like life.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
16 candles, Karate Kid were close IMO. Fast Times edges out 16 Candles but Im undecided between KK and Fast Times.
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fast Times is definitely an iconic teen film, and maybe THE iconic teen film - though I may be biased since I was a teen in the '80's.

I remember first seeing the film in '84 - on a heavily edited network TV version. I didn't see the movie unedited until I watched the DVD years later.

Obviously the film is so great because it was relatable for so many kids during the '80's - I think everyone who grew up during that era knew people like Jeff Spicoli in high school; I could also definitely relate to working in a fast food restaurant as a teen as well.

And, of course, teen mall culture was so prevalent during that time - the big thing was "going to the Mall" - even though I hate malls now, and haven't been to one in years. For that matter, many malls have closed in recent years anyway.

[ 04. November 2016, 07:00: Message edited by: Nostalgic for the '80's ]

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home