iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Cheesy sci-fi

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cheesy sci-fi
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there's one thing I like as much as a good sci-fi film it's a terrible sci-fi film, I've picked up stacks of VHSs & some of those budget DVDs at car boot sales because the cover looked cheesy and the description on the back made out like it was the best sci-fi since 2001:A Space Oddysey / Alien / Star Wars etc.

Anyone have any bad 80s sci-fi reccomendations/condemnations?

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a few I've seen, that I would recommend:

Outland (1981)
They Live (1988)
DeepStar Six (1989)
Dreamscape (1984)

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Earth Girls Are Easy
Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Valley, got DVD, got DVD, on my to-get list, got VHS. [Wink]

Sci-fi films I have that would fall under this caliber I'm looking for are:

Alien from L.A. (1988)
Battle Beyond the Stars (1980)
Biohazard (1985)
Cherry 2000 (1987)
Crash and Burn (1990)
Critters 1+2+3+4 (1986)+
Cyborg 1+2+3 (1989)+
Dark Angel (1990)
Dark Star (1974)
Doin' Time on Planet Earth (1988)
From Beyond (1986)
Galaxina (1980)
Galaxy of Terror (1981)
Hardware (1990)
Humanoid Woman (1981)
Hyperspace (1984) aka Gremloids
Leviathan (1989)
Lifeforce (1985)
Megaville (1990)
Mom and Dad Save the World (1992)
Monolith (1993)
Moontrap (1989)
Nemesis (1993)
Prison Ship Star Slammer (1984)
Project Shadowchaser (1992)
Project Shadowchaser III (1995)
Robot Jox (1990)
Runaway (1984)
Screamers (1995)
Spaced Invaders (1990)
Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone (1983)
Space Mutiny (1988)
Split Second (1992)
Stranded (1987)
Terminus (1987)
The Hidden (1987)
The Hidden II (1994)
The Last Chase (1981)
The Time Guardian (1987)
The Vindicator (1986)
Time Runner (1993)
Trancers (1985)
Trancers II (1991)
Zone Troopers (1986)

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moon 44 is pretty good.
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Wizard:
Valley, got DVD, got DVD, on my to-get list, got VHS. [Wink]

Sci-fi films I have that would fall under this caliber I'm looking for are:

Alien from L.A. (1988)
Battle Beyond the Stars (1980)
Biohazard (1985)
Cherry 2000 (1987)
Crash and Burn (1990)
Critters 1+2+3+4 (1986)+
Cyborg 1+2+3 (1989)+
Dark Angel (1990)
Dark Star (1974)
Doin' Time on Planet Earth (1988)
From Beyond (1986)
Galaxina (1980)
Galaxy of Terror (1981)
Hardware (1990)
Humanoid Woman (1981)
Hyperspace (1984) aka Gremloids
Leviathan (1989)
Lifeforce (1985)
Megaville (1990)
Mom and Dad Save the World (1992)
Monolith (1993)
Moontrap (1989)
Nemesis (1993)
Prison Ship Star Slammer (1984)
Project Shadowchaser (1992)
Project Shadowchaser III (1995)
Robot Jox (1990)
Runaway (1984)
Screamers (1995)
Spaced Invaders (1990)
Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone (1983)
Space Mutiny (1988)
Split Second (1992)
Stranded (1987)
Terminus (1987)
The Hidden (1987)
The Hidden II (1994)
The Last Chase (1981)
The Time Guardian (1987)
The Vindicator (1986)
Time Runner (1993)
Trancers (1985)
Trancers II (1991)
Zone Troopers (1986)

Well, Wizard, it looks like you'll have a lot of fuel for when you start doing 90s movie reviews. [Wink]

Seriously, though...Although I haven't seen it, I think that 1985's "Creature" would fall into this category.

See the page and tell me what you think.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotta love 'Battle Beyond The Stars' Hannibal Smith and John Boy from the 'Waltons' in space, how can you possibly go wrong with that? [Wink]
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
Member # 533

My other car's a Paul-sche....., I have that on vhs but forgot to add it to the list, my brain started going fuzzy towards the end of making that list.

rocksteadyflamethrower, if my submission of Frog Dreaming aka The Go-Kids aka The Quest finally gets the thumbs up I may well do some more reviews but I haven't heard anything back and it's been about a year and a half since I submitted it. As for Creature, I have it under the title Titan Find.

When I was trying to find a film title for someone by using IMDB's plot search I was looking for space type words, couldn't find the title but did find a pile of films I'm adding to my to-get list because the plot looked terrible/interesting, let alone the titles:

8 Kamen Riders vs. Galaxy King [1980]
The Advanced Guard [1998]
Alien Space Avenger [1989]
Alienator [1989]
The Aurora Encounter [1986]
The Brother from Another Planet [1984]
The Creature Wasn't Nice [1983]
The Curse [1987]
Earth Star Voyager [1988]
The Galactic Garden [1985]
Hangar 18 [1980]
Hyper Space [1989]
I Was a Zombie for the F.B.I. [1982]
Invasion of the Space Preachers [1990]
Making Mr. Right [1987]
No Such Thing As Gravity [1989]
Pereval [1988]
Petlya Oriona [1980]
Purojekuto A-ko [1986]
Quest [1983]
Return of the Aliens: The Deadly Spawn [1983]
The Return [1980]
Slave Girls from Beyond Infinity [1987]
Space Adventure Cobra [1982]
Space Rage [1985]
Space Raiders [1983]
Star Portal [1998]
Star Worms II: Attack of the Pleasure Pods [1985]
Taketori monogatari [1987]
TerrorVision [1986]
Timesweep [1987]
Transformations [1989]
UFO Kidnapped [1983]
Waga seishun no Arcadia [1982]
Wavelength [1983]

wonder what a pleasure pod is....

Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Feeders is an awfully good one. So is Jan-Gel: The Beast From The East. Has anyone else ever seen The Beast Of Yucca Flats? It has Tor Johnson in it (The Sweedish Angel) Jan-Gel 2 is also a hoot.

One of my cult favs from the '80s is the Toxic Avenger or anything that Troma put out. Surf Nazis Must Die was cool too.

Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Enemy Mine. I still cringe when he eats the worm.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Megaforce! Ace Hunter is the coolest! "Deeds, Not Words."
I can't believe that the mayor from "Spin City" did an action flick.
I wish this would come to DVD. I remember when this movie came out...I joined the fan club for it out of the back of a comic book adn got a "Deeds, Not Words" patch. They even made toys back then of some of the vehicles.

Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Tia
Master Rewinder
Member # 4374

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mr. Tia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oo! alien from la! i have that in both MST3k and vanilla format. great stuff. kathy ireland's voice is unique in all the universe.
Posts: 201 | From: Witch Mountain | Registered: Oct 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saint_in_London
Master Rewinder
Member # 2575

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Saint_in_London   Email Saint_in_London   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This one has a great cheesy title and a truely great cast!!

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (1984)

Peter Weller
John Lithgow
Ellen Barkin
Jeff Goldblum
Christopher Lloyd
Lewis Smith

Posts: 226 | From: London, England | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Tia
Master Rewinder
Member # 4374

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mr. Tia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and yup, beast of yucca flats. i have the mst3k version of that, too. they have the vanilla version at the local video store but i have a feeling withotu the puppets it would be like getting hit upside the head with a shovel.
Posts: 201 | From: Witch Mountain | Registered: Oct 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
Member # 533

I just got Deep Star Six VHS this morning [Smile] unfortunately the car boot sale I go to has been moved to a new place near the center of the city and it's crap now, they can't open until 8:30 when previously it was 6am, smaller area and more difficult to get to.
Gone are the days of building up my 80s electronic handheld games collection at great prices, now it's eBay if I want them - at stupid prices because everyone else is bidding, I swear someone in the council is trying to close it for good by crapping on the traders [Frown]

Buckroo Banzai DVD, R1 with all the extras, is sitting on my shelves, even have a sealed VHS of it kicking about somewhere.

Canyoudigit The Sequel
Master Rewinder
Member # 4506

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Canyoudigit The Sequel   Email Canyoudigit The Sequel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about all those Italian Mad Max rip offs Like Bronx Warriors, Rome 2030, Atlantis interceptors etc.
Posts: 109 | From: Bopping my way back to Coney! | Registered: Jan 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kedi
Rewind Curious
Member # 4880

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Kedi   Email Kedi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I have been trying to remember the name of a film for a long time now.
It was out in the late 70's early 80's.
It is a very cheaply made B movie with bad special effects.
It was about an alien invasion but not humanoid aliens, these were more 'tenticle like' aliens.
I remember the following scences: A little girl crying on a beach, a woman comes up to her and asks her what's wrong only facing her back. As the girl turns round the woman sees her face is completely mangled to pieces.
A man walks into a games arcade and the arcade is deserted but with the machines all still on....he sees behind the pinball machines and such like lots of tenticle weilding aliens covered in goo.
He walks out of the arcade and shouts to see if anyone is still left but there is noone....
At this point (and i think the cam zooms out) you realise he is the only one left in the world(maybe only america?)
Sure there is a scene also set in a cave but not 100% sure.
I would love any ideas on what this movie could be.
Thankyou in advance.
Zoe

Posts: 3 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kedi
Rewind Curious
Member # 4880

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Kedi   Email Kedi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I have been trying to remember the name of a film for a long time now.
It was out in the late 70's early 80's.
It is a very cheaply made B movie with bad special effects.
It was about an alien invasion but not humanoid aliens, these were more 'tenticle like' aliens.
I remember the following scences: A little girl crying on a beach, a woman comes up to her and asks her what's wrong only facing her back. As the girl turns round the woman sees her face is completely mangled to pieces.
A man walks into a games arcade and the arcade is deserted but with the machines all still on....he sees behind the pinball machines and such like lots of tenticle weilding aliens covered in goo.
He walks out of the arcade and shouts to see if anyone is still left but there is noone....
At this point (and i think the cam zooms out) you realise he is the only one left in the world(maybe only america?)
Sure there is a scene also set in a cave but not 100% sure.
I would love any ideas on what this movie could be.
Thankyou in advance.
Zoe

Posts: 3 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ilerya D
Rewind Curious
Member # 6678

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Ilerya D   Email Ilerya D   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay... Looking for the name of a film from the 70's-80's-90's? SciFi genre that the local cable station used to air at 12:00am every so many weeks. The last time I remember seeing this was in the early 90's and have wondered at the name of it ever since.

The movie is about the colonization of the moon, and features a woman scientist who has separated from her husband. They have I believe two kids together who live with her on the planet. There is a crisis and the father becomes the saviour of the planet after somewhat reconciling with the mother and they have conceived a child. Weird plot line I know, but still I loved this when I was younger... Classless B movie, but what can you do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I think it started with a "P" but I could be wrong. I have been searching IMDB for a while with no success.

Thanks for all your help!

Posts: 3 | From: The Great White Canadian North | Registered: Mar 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rocksteadyflamethrower:
Although I haven't seen it, I think that 1985's "Creature" would fall into this category.

Yeah, "Creature" is an exact fit. Known as "Titan Find" outside the US, with Klaus Kinski in full "Klaus" mode...

"What we've found is someone's "butterfly collection"... Only some of these "Butterflies" aren't so friendly..." [Smile]

Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home