iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Your first R-rated movie? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Your first R-rated movie?
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What was the first R-rated movie you ever saw? It doesn't necessarily have to be an 80's movie, but I am curious to know what kind of affect did it have on you.

Since I'm older than most of the regular posters here (I'm 43), my first R-rated flick was the "The Godfather", when it first came out in early 1972. I saw it with some friends who were just over 18 years old at the time, and so I accompanied with them.

Later that summer, I visited Japan, and me and some relatives of mine who were living there went to see the 1971 movie "The French Connection", starring Gene Hackman and Roy Scheider. That was also R-rated, but I'm not sure how other countries outside the U.S.A. "rate" their films. The film was shown in the English language but with Japanese subtitles on the screen.

Having grown up with mostly Disney and other "family" or "kiddie" movies up to then, I don't have to tell you what a shock that was to see those two films!

[ 16. December 2003, 09:47: Message edited by: StevenHW ]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the UK we have an easy set of ratings for films, U (Universal, for all), PG (Parental Guidance), 12, 15, 18.

The first film that I can remember that had a rating older than I was, was Poltergeist (1982), 15 rated film but I'd never seen a horror film like that before ever and I was about 10 I think. Scared the crap outta me, literally couldn't sleep properly for weeks but it got me hooked on scary films. A few years later saw The Amityville Horror (1979) late one night, I used to sneak watch tv in my room cos I was supposed to be asleep, anyway I saw it on a little black&white tv and that still scared the crap outta me.

Thankfully I've got over those films now and it takes a lot to scare me :) till I saw two Japanese films a couple of months back that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up on end and made me feel so uneasy I had to stay awake till it got light outside before I could sleep!
The films? Ring (1998) http://www.imdb.com/Title?0178868 and Ring 2 (1998) http://us.imdb.com/Title?0218553 which were apparently banned in certain parts of Asia. Dreamworks have done a remake of the first one - The Ring (2002) http://www.imdb.com/Title?0298130 , I haven't seen Dreamworks' one but I reccomend you see the original Japanese version first, preferably not alone in the middle of the night like how I watched it.

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first R rated movie was An American Werewolf in London. At the time it was a bit scary, but i loved it none the less as I still do today. :)
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
CheekiMunki
Rewinder
Member # 101

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for CheekiMunki   Email CheekiMunki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first R-rated movie was 1981's Excalibur. I was 6 at the time. There was the educational sex scene in the forest between Gwenivere and Lancelot! =P That was followed closely by American Werewolf in London which gave me nightmares!!
Posts: 31 | From: Tampa, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, snuck into so many R-rated films as a kid for only a few minutes. First one I remember is when I was with the YMCA. We would see a couple movies a summer, and I think we were taken to some animated flick ("Secret of NIMH" maybe) and a couple of us kids said we had to go the bathroom. We ended up sneaking into "Purple Rain" for a little bit, having heard about Prince and sex scenes. We were bored after two minutes and went back to the other theater, hehe. Also did the same thing with "Bright Lights, Big City" a few years later.

The first complete feature I remember seeing was Elm Street 5. I was 13 and told my step-dad I'd never seen an R-rated flick in a theater, so he agreed to take me.

Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First one I paid to see.... now this is going back a little, but it was "10", with Dudley Moore ad Bo Derek. I remember lying about my age to the woman on the ticket desk, and thinking that I was going to break out in spots under her gaze... then she said "ok" and I was in. Movie was more funny than sexy, but still brings back memories.
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 424

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Patrick   Email Patrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first r-rated movie was "Terminator" and Terminator 2". I remember I saw them when i was about 10. A few weeks later, I fell in love with "An American Warewolf In London".
I remember being able to count the R-rated movies i'd seen on my hand!

Posts: 24 | Registered: May 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
C_In_Scotland
Rewind Curious
Member # 94

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for C_In_Scotland   Email C_In_Scotland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friend and I were supposed to see 1942 (comedy) or Airplane (I can't remember)... and instead she wanted to sneak into an R movie just to see if we could... the movie playing was "Ordinary People" - she was bored, I loved it!! I'll never forget the opening music - choir singing Pachabel's Canon -- I didn't fully understand the movie, but really really enjoyed it.

Posts: 2 | From: Scotland | Registered: Nov 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
scoovan
Rewind Curious
Member # 1087

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for scoovan   Email scoovan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine was childs play, However when i saw it i was ten so that scared the crap out of me maily because i was still in the phase where i played with dolls.
Posts: 7 | From: macon, ga, usa | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
heh, I have no clue. I had cable since I was like 3. I pretty much saw it all..

[ 10. July 2011, 10:58: Message edited by: Ronnie ]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  | Report this post to a Moderator
outsider_katt
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 1009

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for outsider_katt   Email outsider_katt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first one was "The Ammityville Horror" It was soooooooooooooooo friggin' scary!
Posts: 22 | From: [Christian County],Hopkinsville, KY | Registered: Nov 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gizmo
Rewind Curious
Member # 206

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Gizmo   Email Gizmo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW hmm i remember it like it was yesterday..

me and my twin sister were about 7 and we were at my grandmas my older sister and my cuzin were in the room and they put in a movie they told us 2 come here and we did it started and it said nightmare on Elm Street part 3 and i was like what is it shes like its BigBird in fallow that bird me and my twin started screamin and cryin we were scared eventually we watched it all that was my first R movie i have seen every horror movie in my home towns video store since i was a kid i was the only kid in elementary whos parents let me watch em lol

Posts: 10 | From: Jackson , Michigan | Registered: Nov 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
gypsyqueen1968
Rewind Curious
Member # 799

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for gypsyqueen1968   Email gypsyqueen1968   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just want to defend myself...Gizmo is my sister and she enjoyed every second of that movie....;)
Posts: 1 | From: jackson,michigan,USA | Registered: Nov 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This topic may be a few months old, but I'm just posting here to bump this thread. I'm doing it 'cuz I noticed a few members who recently joined here, and I wanted to hear their opinions of the first R-rated movie that you ever saw! [Smile]

[ 16. September 2003, 22:20: Message edited by: StevenHW ]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
SHEGOTGAME
Master Rewinder
Member # 476

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for SHEGOTGAME   Email SHEGOTGAME   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! I'm not totally sure what the first R-rated movie I saw was, but I think it was either Child's Play or Die Hard. I think I was about 7 and Child's Play scared the crap outta me!...And I had one of those My Buddy dolls that looked like Chucky and that freaked me out! I remember watching Die Hard when I was young too and that has become one of my all-time favorite movies!!!!
Posts: 228 | From: Elizabethtown, PA, USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Eddie Wilson
Rewind Guru
Member # 169

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Eddie Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My parents let me watch the Exorcist when I was 4. Lets just say I'm still frightened. LOL!
Posts: 711 | From: Fort Worth, Texas, USA | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette
Master Rewinder
Member # 252

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Janette   Email Janette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow almost everyone here saw a horror flick. My first R (I think) was Revenge of the Nerds! We had cable too. My parents pretty much let us watch anything too. They had their limits though, we didn't watch much horror flicks growing up. I think mom knew it would keep us awake all night! :)
Posts: 156 | From: Midwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
jlynn
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 854

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for jlynn   Email jlynn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first horror film that I watched at home was "Alice Sweet Alice". The movie of 2 twin girls and of coarse Alice was the bad one. She does plenty of killing for a little girl that is. I must have been 5 years old when I saw it. I had older half sisters who were staying with us who let me watch it. From that point on I watched what ever horror films I could. Halloween, Friday the 13th, now those were horror films. Compared to these scream movies they have today. The first horror film I paid to see was "The people under the stairs". I had to lie about my age though. Since then my favorite movies to watch is Horror movies. There the best, even though they can still scare me!

[This message has been edited by jlynn (edited 03-04-2003).]

Posts: 27 | From: Littleton, CO, USA | Registered: Feb 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eightiesdude
Master Rewinder
Member # 752

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for eightiesdude   Author's Homepage   Email eightiesdude   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to think about it for awhile and check out certain movies out that i thought were rated R were not on the imdb.com site. I started to see films by myself in 1975. So I finally got the answer after checking out some of the older ones. My first R film was 1979's "10" dont ask me how i got into the theater to see it. I can't remember apparantly they didnt care because I dont remember going with anyone.
Posts: 114 | From: Florida | Registered: Jan 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
leopardpantsmoodlipstick
Rewinder
Member # 916

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for leopardpantsmoodlipstick   Email leopardpantsmoodlipstick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that the first "R" movie i had snuck into was "Jagged Edge." I bought tickets to "Top Gun" with Tom Cruise but thought it was boring in the beginning. I pretended to head for the bathroom but took a detour. It was good from what i remember.Has anyone else seen this movie? Ya know,I still havn't seen Top Gun till this day,but i hear it was o.k.How good was it?
Posts: 34 | From: CT,U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richard_grieco
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 1054

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for richard_grieco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First Blood.
Posts: 27 | From: Sactomento, Californey | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Akita
Master Rewinder
Member # 1257

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Akita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first R rated video was 'Christianne F'. It was a dubbed (german?) movie, more shocking for the drug content than any sex stuff. Anyone remember this one??? Of course there was JAWS, 10, what about Amytiville???was that rated R? [Eek!]
Posts: 109 | From: Thuringowa,Queensland,Australia | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenkobra
Master Rewinder
Member # 892

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kenkobra   Email kenkobra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gimmie an F
http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id=1800070284&cf=info&intl=us

Posts: 224 | From: AZ | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
Part of Akita's post:
quote:
...Of course, there was JAWS, 10, what about Amityville??? Was that rated R? [Eek!]
"Jaws" was rated PG. "10" was rated R.
I know that the first two "Amityville Horror" movies were rated R. But if I'm not mistaken, the third one (which came out in 1983) was rated PG.

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveO
Rewind Curious
Member # 1309

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for SteveO   Email SteveO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First R Rated movie I saw was Conan The Barbarian. To this day it still remains a personal favorite.
Posts: 2 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home