iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Say Anything

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Say Anything
eightieschick
Rewind Guru
Member # 4385

- posted      Profile for eightieschick   Email eightieschick       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watched this, and had never seen it before. So I've got a stupid question for anyone who may be able to answer it. Why was Mr. Court in trouble- what money was he stealing from the patients at the personal care home? I don't get it. Around here, a person can get placed into one of those private personal care homes and they sign over everything they own and all of their assets to the home. There is a personal care/ retirement village right down the street from my parents' house. They have the area where patients have round the clock care, and they have signed over everything to the home. Then they also have apartments that can be rented, but again, they give up everything to the home once they die. And they also have these tiny houses that they can buy, but once they die, the house becomes the property of the retirement home. Did Mr. Court not work this out with his patients? How did he go about stealing the money from the patients? I just don't get it.
I really liked the movie. It brought back a lot of memories from when I was around that age in the late 80's. It was so painful when Ione Skye broke up with Cusack, it reminded me of when I broke up with my boyfriend. I was even eating my lunch while watching this movie, and it really put a knot in my stomach so I couldn't even finish my lunch. I almost cried when Cusack started crying.
I could definitely tell that Cameron Crowe was working on the film 'Singles' around the same time that this film came out, because he used a lot of the same type of shots in 'Singles' as he did in 'Say Anything', for ex. the closeups when they talk right to the camera. He even used some of the same music. Now I gotta buy the soundtrack for 'Say Anything'! I've already got the soundtrack for 'Singles', (which I realize was not made until '92 or '93 but Crowe had already been working on it in the 80's) and I remember going to buy it at National Record Mart after seeing the movie at the theater, and they were sold out of it, and I had to wait another week to get it.

Posts: 713 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eightieschick
Rewind Guru
Member # 4385

- posted      Profile for eightieschick   Email eightieschick       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Help? Please? Anybody?
Posts: 713 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is one movie that I started watching and never finished it yet, but I need to. Cause I was just getting to that part where her Dad is in trouble, and I stopped it. So...I have been on a John Cusak spree here...watching Better off Dead and Must Love Dogs, and parts of One Crazy Summer...so I should watch it again, and then I'll see if I can make any sense of it too.

That is the norm anywhere with nursing homes, is they sign over all their possessions to the home...it is a bum deal...to have worked your whole life, and have nothing left to show for it.
It totally sucks.

He must have been putting the money in to his own account instead of the nursing homes some how.

I am sure someone on here knows, they probably haven't seen this thread yet, so I am sure there's an answer out there somewhere.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eightieschick
Rewind Guru
Member # 4385

Thanks ISIS. I think you may be right- he must have deposited the money into his personal account.
I've never seen Better off Dead, but it sounds pretty good. I've seen Once Crazy Summer, and I'd give it a 5 out of 10. It was just a little too cheesy for me. And I'm not a fan of Demi Moore either- I don't think she's a very good actress, and her clothing in every movie she's made is horrible (she is also known for dressing horribly herself- how about the ugly green satin dress thing that they show her in all of the time on tv and she's got the black bra just hanging out- disgusting!). I do love Cusack though. Let me know how Better off Dead is!

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I already wrote a whole review on it. I loved it.

I don't like Demi Moore either...the only movie I like her in is About Last Night.

She did dress awful.

She definately was lip syncing in all her movies in the 80's, cause I don't think she has a singing voice, her regular voice sounds like a guy.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay 80s Chick--Yes Mr. Court was stealing money from the nursing home place that he worked at. I think he did it so that Diane would have a good future in college. But ultimately he was caught.

I love "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel from this movie. I love the dedication of Lloyd, but Jake Ryan will always be the love of my "movie" life!

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eightieschick
Rewind Guru
Member # 4385

quote:
Originally posted by Jessie the Sunflower Goddess:
Okay 80s Chick--Yes Mr. Court was stealing money from the nursing home place that he worked at. I think he did it so that Diane would have a good future in college. But ultimately he was caught.

I know that he was stealing money. I wanted to know WHAT MONEY was he stealing. When people are put into a nursing home, they already have signed over any money or assets to the nursing home. ISIS suggested that he may have taken the money and deposited it into his own personal account instead of the nursing home's account.
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Even without seeing the end, that is what I think it has to be, because people in nursing homes don't have control of their own finances anymore, and they aren't allowed to have cash on them, and if they were in a place that was more like a retirement community and had control of their own finances...if they were ok to be doing that...then he wouldn't have access to their accounts.

[ 18. January 2006, 13:39: Message edited by: ISIS ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home