iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » A Christmas Story

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Christmas Story
eightieschick
Rewind Guru
Member # 4385

- posted      Profile for eightieschick   Email eightieschick       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I the only one who cannot bear to watch this movie? I have never seen this movie past the first 30 min. because I think it is so boring. I just can't bear to sit through the entire thing. My future sister-in-law thinks it's the greatest and watches it every year. What do you all think?
Posts: 713 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a little...little...blech to me.
Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to like it but once TBS started showing it all Christmas Eve and Christmas day it started to wear thin...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sister can't stand it, which gives my mother plenty of ammunition to pick at her with come the holidays.

If you can't stand 24 hours of it, Turner Classic Movies usually airs it a few times standalone during December.

Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I love it, all year round.
My husband SAYS he doesnt like it...but I think he's just "tweaking" me.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's my favorite Christmas movie! I love it.
Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stormybia
Rewind Curious
Member # 4438

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for stormybia   Email stormybia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh, i love this movie too, since i was a kid, to me that is christmas. its more realistic than any other christmas movie i have seen. i could watch it for 24 hours no problem.
Posts: 9 | From: baltimore | Registered: Dec 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...I think another reason it works for me is my father grew up in the "Time Period" that the movie takes place in (1940s) and the storys he tells about his childhood sort of refelect stuff that happens in the movie. I watched this movie with him last year and he loved it. When Ralphie got the de-coder ring my father remembered having one and remembered that the "secret messgae" was always "Drink Your OVALTINE!"
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eightieschick
Rewind Guru
Member # 4385

- posted      Profile for eightieschick   Email eightieschick       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not even talking about that stupid 24 hour marathon that they have of this stupid movie. I don't know how this got to be such a huge hit. It is just a big snoozefest for me. I can't bring myself to watch it. My faves are all the Rankin and Bass shows, except for Frosty. My husband likes Frosty, but he hates Santa Claus is Comin' to Town- he said it's too cheesy! I think Frosty is cheesy.
Posts: 713 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When this movie first came out...I remember one of my best friend's absolutely loved it, and him and my mom and brother were always saying things like..."you'll shoot your eye out"...and I'd think what a bunch of goofs...and I always was catching bits and pieces of it...and thought...geez...cause there are a couple scenes, the one where he's shooting the guys that are in the black and white stripped outfit....and the whole dying of soap poisoning thing...that was dumb....

but the Dad cursing up a storm over the furnace....and the meatloaf scene with Robbie...and when the dad says : you used up all the glue on purpose"...those are hysterical lines. And there was a period of several years...that I had to make sure I watched that movie, but this year I haven't watched it even once, and I haven't even felt the need either.
I don't know if I just got burned out on it or what.

[Confused] [Confused]

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"A Christmas Story" is a classic. I never fail to watch it every year. I have it on special edition DVD, so that way I don't have to put up with the commercials when TBS shows it for the 24 hr. period.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bionic Bigfoot:
It's my favorite Christmas movie! I love it.

ME TOO!!! I love the 24 hours of A Christmas Story on TBS/TNT that starts on Christmas Eve. It has become a tradition at my dad's to watch it while we open presents! I LOVE IT!!
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home