iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » I got to see Sixteen Candles on the bigscreen!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I got to see Sixteen Candles on the bigscreen!
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel so lucky to have a cool indie run theater that has chose to do a midnight movie once a month. I got to see Goonies months back...but made the mistake of drinking before the film and nodded off.

So for this ultimate classic it was just coffee! [Wink]

Let me tell you it was so cool. Even though i've seen it a million times and you know it just gets better everytime....on the big screen you notice so many things you just don't on your TV.

My friends and I cracked up at the DJ in the dance scenes.....looking like Boy George and bouncing! I noticed product placement in the locker of Maxi makeup. haha

I tease one of my girlfriends for anaylizing everything in the movie....she cracked me up...."but wait why did Dong say that I don't get it?" the bigger version made it different for her...lol

I just wanted to brag to you all....I want someday to own a theater where it plays only classic movies and maybe serves dinners with themes??? how cool would that be? My friends and I are all for it. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is so cool Muffy. I would love it if all movie theaters would do the same thing. It would be so cool to see so many movies on a big screen again. I mean all these multiplex theaters with 10 or more screens, and no good movies to watch, you'd thing they could try it out and see how well it does. I always thought action movies like Die Hard and Lethal Weapon would be great to see again on the big screen too.

It is a good thing to know that a few places are breaking away and doing their own thing.

To see Jake Ryan.....Larger than Life...that would be so cool...I never got to see Sixteen Candles when it was at the movies the first time.
I am sure so many people would still want to go now.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Muffy girl, that is so cool! I am totally jealous but you know if I could I would have gone along with you and had a blast [Razz] . Your idea about the movie theater has actually been in the back of my head for awhile now. I think people would go for it. I didn't get to see so many of my favorites on the big screen. I did see Can't Buy Me Love, Dirty Dancing and Ferris Bueller but all the others would be fantastic. I'm glad you had a good time. Hopefully there will be others you can check out too. Here's a question though, were there alot of people there to see it?
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kat27
Master Rewinder
Member # 3979

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kat27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cindy, A) AAAAAMMMMM SOOOO JEEEAALLLOOOUUUSS!! How lucky are you to have such a fab theatre. I have a video store a block away that tries to get as much on dvd as they can. When we moved overseas we sold all of our stuff and then when we moved back we bought a dvd player so it is a real pain that so many great movies are on video. However, I've noticed that there are lots of movies being released on DVD so fingers crossed for us down here as we tend to get them a couple of years after you. Dirty Dancing was on tv the other night and my husband thought that it was very amusing. We used to get this movie out nearly every weekend when we were at boarding school - we loved it. He was silenced fairly swiftly.

The interesting thing that I find is that I am on the tail end of gen x (28) and my sister is 25 so she is kind of right in the middle of x and y but, through her flatmates, hangs out with younger people. The interesting thing is that a lot of these guys are as obsessive about the 80s as I guess we were in the early 90s about the 70s. Anyway, we are all tres cool now! My point is that I live in the club district and whenever any of the clubs have 80s nights I swear I am the only one who actually grew up then! It's really weird. Did you find that muff?

Posts: 327 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kat I did find that! My friend did a head count and there were only about 30 people in the theater for 16 Candles....although Goonies had a full house before. I'm 27......and my friends and I were some of the oldest people there.

I find it funny that I think one of my friends at work's daughter is one of the coolest chicks. She's 17....and tells me Better Off Dead is one of her favorite movies. She and a group of her friends set in front of us at 16 Candles. I guess I like to think i'm one of those "cool" older people...haha. Did I ever think that day would come....when "I" am old?!

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They used to do that here and it had The Goonies and some other great 80s flicks. I never got to see any of them but I would kill to be able to see a classic on the big screen again. It will be happeneing soon!
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Muffster watching "Sixteen Candles" on the big screen must have been a total blast from the past. I wish the theaters in Cincy would do something so cool.

"Valley Girl" played at the LA Film Festival back in October 2002 and they actually reunited the cast for an audience participation.

Wouldn't it be cool to do a 80's Movie Roadshow to theaters around the world with cast members from the films in the Roadshow. you could do a live commentary or Q & A after the film. What do you think? [Cool] [Karate Kid]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kat27
Master Rewinder
Member # 3979

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kat27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Wouldn't it be cool to do a 80's Movie Roadshow to theaters around the world with cast members from the films in the Roadshow. you could do a live commentary or Q & A after the film. What do you think?
Totally Valley! Let's do a 'Rocky Horror'event show for the 80s!
Posts: 327 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home