iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Before They Were Stars... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Before They Were Stars...
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the coolest things for me is to watch an old 80's movie and suddenly recognize someone that went on to a much greater fame. Here are a few that I enjoyed:

1. Tom Cruise & Jamie Gertz in "Endless Love".

2. Jim Carey in "Once Bitten" & "Peggy Sue Got Married".

3. Lori Loughlin at the end of "Footloose" in the dance scene...check it out.

4. Brad Pitt in "Less Than Zero".

5. Matt Damon in "Mystic Pizza".

What about you, who have you enjoyed finding in an old 80's movie?

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mane1980
Rewind Guru
Member # 4240

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mane1980   Author's Homepage   Email Mane1980   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brad Pitt in Happy Together
Tom Cruise in Endless Love or Losin' It
Matt Damon in Mystic Pizza
John Cusack in Sixteen Candless
Tom Hanks in Mazes and Monsters
Tim Robins in The Sure Thing

Posts: 631 | From: From Out of this World | Registered: Jul 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raygunxyz
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1045

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for raygunxyz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen LESS THAN ZERO many times, but I have yet to find BRAD PITT. And i have looked at the party seen in slow mo
Posts: 84 | From: Bakersfield, Ca, USA | Registered: Aug 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check the Party scene...Brad Pitt is standing in a doorway..it might even be in the background of a fight. Definitely use the slo-mo.

My John Cusack spotting was in the movie "Class" along with Virginia Madsen.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Johnny Depp in A Nightmare On Elm Street. He he he , the bed scene always cracks me up.
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lori Loughlin in Footloose??? Are you sure??? That is pretty interesting.

I loved Jim Carrey in Peggy Sue Got Married and Once Bitten.

Trivia Info tidbit: Michael J. Fox was offered the role of Mark Kendall in Once Bitten but felt it was too close to his Teen Wolf role and didn't take it.

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Demi Moore unlisted Cameo in Young Doctors in Love at the end.

WE are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GoldTransAM
Master Rewinder
Member # 2973

13 Updates!

- posted      Profile for GoldTransAM         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sean Penn, Eric Stoltz, Anthony Edwards, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Judge Rinehold all from Fast Times At Ridgemont High went on to other feature films or TV shows.
Helen Hunt and Sarah Jessica Parker from Girls Just Wanna Have Fun.

Posts: 191 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2004 | Site Updates: 13  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
How about Helen Hunt in "Quarterback Princess" with two future Top Gunners ...Cougar (John Stockwell) and Merlin (Tim Robbins). The name of the movie is hoaxy, but I liked it.

Jessie, I have no proof it's Lori Loughlin, but check out the beginning of the dance scene at the end of "Footloose" and let me know what you think. Also, cool factoid about Michael J. Fox, I enjoy that kind of stuff.

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't know about Lori Laughlin either.

I knew John Cusak was in Class...but I didn't know Virgina Madsen was. I love that movie ...that is one I need to watch again soon.

I still have never seen the Quarterback Princess either.

Tom Hanks in He Knows Your Alone.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Kelly Preston "10 To Midnight"
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Patrick Dempsey "Heaven Help Us"
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seth Green and Alyson Hannigan were both in "My Stepmother Is An Alien".

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh wow, really? I had no idea!

[/out of touch with who are stars and who simply acted on "Buffy"]

Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mane1980
Rewind Guru
Member # 4240

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mane1980   Author's Homepage   Email Mane1980   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cindy Crawford in The Secret of My Success!!
Posts: 631 | From: From Out of this World | Registered: Jul 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richie
Master Rewinder
Member # 3527

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Richie   Email Richie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasnt Helen Hunt in Meatballs as well?
Posts: 248 | Registered: Nov 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kat27
Master Rewinder
Member # 3979

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kat27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eric Stoltz in "Say Anything"

Matthew Perry in "Charles In Charge" - okay so technically not a movie and fairly well known but I am grasping at straws.

Oooh - I know. Naomi Watts in a late 80s/early90s TV ad for lamb being told she has won a dinner with Tom Cruise. She says she can't because her mum is making a lamb roast. Irony is that Naomi Watts is Nicole Kidman's best friend.

Nicole Kidman in the "BOP Girl" film clip

Chynna Phillips as Joe's Girlfriend in "Say Anything"

Kevin Spacey as a sleazy exec in "Working Girl"

Leonardo Di Caprio on "Growing Pains"

Posts: 327 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wasn't chynna phillips also hardy's "on the side" girlfriend in some kind of wonderful?
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kat27
Master Rewinder
Member # 3979

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kat27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by raygunxyz:
I have seen LESS THAN ZERO many times, but I have yet to find BRAD PITT. And i have looked at the party seen in slow mo

It is the fight scene/palm springs party scene at the end and you have to put it in MEGA slo-mo but I am pretty sure it is him.

Also - Chynna Phillips is Hardy's on the side girlfriend in Some Kind of Wonderful.

Posts: 327 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smayt Shatner
Rewind Shaft -Can u dig it?
Member # 1500

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Smayt Shatner   Email Smayt Shatner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tom Selleck in COMA.
Posts: 1201 | From: under everyone's bed...watching and waiting. | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Coma" came out in the late 70s...No offense, Smayt.

Speaking of Nicole Kidman, one of her first movies was the Australian youth comedy "BMX Bandits", which I actuallly own on public domain DVD.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure there lots more that I can think of, but right now, two names that comes to mind are James Spader, as the lawyer and college buddy of Charlie Sheen's character in Wall Street (1987); and Sandra Bernhard in The King of Comedy (1983).

Spader had been making several movies before earlier in the 80's, and this is one of his roles before he became more famous in 1989 with Sex, Lies, And Videotape.

Bernhard had been working in comedy clubs since the late 70's. But The King of Comedy was her first movie and her first real attempt at acting.

[ 26. August 2005, 14:17: Message edited by: StevenHW ]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
While watching "First Blood" on Encore this weekend I realized that Deputy Mitch was David Caruso of NYPD Blue & CSI: Miami fame. It was neat to see him so young.
SouthernKat
Senior Rewinder
Member # 3239

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for SouthernKat   Author's Homepage   Email SouthernKat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

This is a neat thread.

Even earlier James Spader appearance: he was in "Endless Love" also. My favorite role of his was in "Mannequin" where he played the over-the-top, cartoonish department store manager.

Helen Hunt may have been in "Meatballs" (been awhile since I have seen it) but she was definitely Kathleen Turner's daughter in "Peggy Sue Got Married."

"Fast Times at Ridgemont High" shows Nicholas Cage in his first speaking role and has a classic early performance from Sean Penn. Which makes me wonder what Phoebe Cates is doing nowadays. She has not been in anything since the '80's.

SouthernKat

Posts: 51 | From: Altamonte Springs Florida | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kat27
Master Rewinder
Member # 3979

1 Update

Member Rated:
Is that Alicia Silverstone in the final dance scene of Dirty Dancing or just a look a like? It is only a fleeting shot.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home