iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Police Academy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Police Academy
Richie
Master Rewinder
Member # 3527

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Richie   Email Richie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And no I am not referring to the 20,000 sequels that it has incurred, just the original. The premise was hilarious in itself, recruiting people off the street to help fight crime. I have to say that most of my laughs from this one came from Tackleberry and I think his name was Fakler (the nerdy guy with glasses who had the controlling wife.
Posts: 248 | Registered: Nov 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I believe that guy's name was Sweetchuck. Great movie. I love 1,2,4 end of list. I only own the original though. For good reason.

WE are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually Devo richie is right it was Fackler that had the annoying wife played by Debra Lee Scott. Sweetchuck was played by Tim Kazurinsky, he owned the lamp store in the second one and then was in Back in Training and Citizens on Patrol.

I posted a topic on this that this movie is being remade by someone for 2006.

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fackler was for me the least interesting of the original people to grace the Academy's halls. He has his moments, but his colleagues overshadow him, and that's probably why he was slowly phased out as the series progressed, although I believe he did come back for City Under Siege (a lot of people took gaps between films to return later; indeed the thug our heroes take out at the climax of this one makes a brief reappearance in Back in Training).

Harris was always a better thorn in our heroes sides than Mauser would be over the next 2 films. Unlike Mauser, he genuinely hates them and isn't above pulling outright dirty tricks to slow them down. I don't know why he took 2 & 3 off, but at least he was back for the rest of the series (and got saddled with Procter, who was a great comedic foil).

Looking back at number 1, while it's not a complete laughfest as its successors were, it is interesting to see the characters as they were original intended by Neal Israel and Pat Proft. They have insecurities and doubts, and Lassard isn't yet completely brain-dead. It lays a strong groundwork for the series (8th worst decision in film history they say? I think not). Speaking of Tackleberry, he was always a favorite. It's a shame he won't be coming back this time. Jones comes in a close second; you have to admit he hasn't got any predecessors on film, and he remains original to this day. Long may the academy raise its banners high.

Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

No, I watched it and you were correct. I hope they don't come out with another one. My favorite line is with the glue, and the megaphone.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home