iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » 2005 poll! Top 15 All-Time Favorite 80's Movie Poll Results - The Rewind Has Spoken! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: 2005 poll! Top 15 All-Time Favorite 80's Movie Poll Results - The Rewind Has Spoken!
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
only 4 of the titles on this list, were on MY list. told you we should have had a top 20, val. [Wink]
i too, am curious about all the other titles that were submitted. what-do-ya-say valley? yes...no...maybe so?? [Smile]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh heh, The Lost Boys was the only one on my list that made it to the top 15. What, Little Monsters didn't get many votes? [Wink]

Ooh! Ooh! Evil Dead II was my number 1 pick. Betcha no one expected that.

By the way, thanks for all the hard work, Valley!

Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lupa I so knew EDead II was you!

No ET, Say Anything or Revenge of the Nerds that made my list???

Heathers was a #2 pick for me...so it wasn't only Smayt.... [Smile]

I would like to know the others too Valley...very cool job though! Goonies will always be #1 with me.

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
forgot to say thanks valley, & great job.
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I for one wouldn't mind seeing the entire list myself, if that can be done. Only Ferris and BTTF made it from my list, but it's better than a complete shutout. We should do something like this again from time to time like the AFI does, counting down our favorites from the decade.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW!! I am glad that 16 Candles made it right up there near the top. Can't go wrong with #1 though, Goonies is an excellent choice. Kind of sad that Fire with Fire didn't make it.

So Valley, What is the next great poll going to be????????????????

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J. Chance
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4217

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J. Chance   Email J. Chance   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great poll! I culled my picks from a list of 115 faves. Only two ended up making the Top 15 altho' ten from my longer list did.

It was way tough eliminating some of them. I very nearly put Lost Boys in my top 15 except that I had just discovered it this year so it didn't seem like an 80s movie.

Posts: 77 | From: Up north | Registered: Jun 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Valley,
How many people voted for "Just One Of The Guys"?

That ranks high on my list although I didn't give you my list. I just had such a hard time ranking the movies I love. Couldn't bring myself to do it. [Frown]

Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kat27
Master Rewinder
Member # 3979

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kat27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Valley I love your work! Ignore any criticism. I am all for a democratic system and I think that if people are unhappy about the way that Valley's vote panned out then they should conduct their own poll. I think the summaries were great and I think that (let's be honest here) because most of us are between 25 & 40 (MOST of us) then the eighties movies that we watched were teen movies. If we were going to socially critique the academy award winners of the decade then that would be a different thing (it would be like applying Jung to Beverley Hills 90210 or Freud to the OC). The feeling that i got from Valley was: which were the movies that really meant something to you back then - which were the movies that you loved renting on video? Or were the movies that had at least one character that you idolised or (and now I REALLY am showing my age) was a movie that didn't have gratuitous violence or sex just to make it appealing to kids under the age of 18?
Posts: 327 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think anyone was criticizing Valley, kat27. I think it's more like they really want to know what people think - which is why the differences between US and non-US voters is cool to know - and also that from 32 voters, given 15 movies each, we managed to name 208 different movies. That meant that each movie was mentioned less than 2.5 times on average, which reflects the wide range in tastes and preferences we have here. That's interesting to geeks like me..... [Big Grin]
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the kind words everyone. A poll is an opinion by a group, so it will never be exactly what an individual should think the results should be anyway.

I will say that every person that turned in a poll had at least ONE movie make it in the Top 15. There were 2 people that had EIGHT movies from their poll make into the Top 15 and 4 others that had SEVEN movies make it.

If you have specific questions on a particular movie, I'll do my best to answer it.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ali,

Just One Of The Guys received votes from four different people with a high vote of #5 on Ronnie's list.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Rocksteady and others I'm not ignoring your question on all the movies, but naming 208 movies will take alot of time and there is a good chance I'll name some movies twice. Plus I don't have much time to work on it.

My biggest problem right now, is my website that stores my pictures keeps changing my URL address. I think the pictures are working right now, so if you missed them before, take a few minutes to check them out. Some of them are way cool.

Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fair enough.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks loads, Valley--You're being way nice.
Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Here are the top 30 movies polled in order:

The Goonies (1985)
Sixteen Candles (1984)
The Breakfast Club (1985)
Valley Girl (1983)
Back To The Future (1985)
Fast Times At Ridgemont High (1982)
Pretty In Pink (1986)
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
The Lost Boys (1987)
Weird Science (1985)
Can't Buy Me Love (1987)
Some Kind Of Wonderful (1987)
The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
St. Elmo's Fire (1985)
Return Of The Jedi (1983)

-------------------------------------------------
Remember any movie from this point down is not necessarily the movie that would have came in 16-30 because everyone only submitted 15 movies, but it is how they came out based on the votes submitted.

Heathers (1989)
Terminator(1984)
The Karate Kid (1984)
Breakin'(1984)
Aliens (1986)
Streets Of Fire (1984)
Ghostbusters (1984)
E.T. (1982)
Raider's Of The Lost Ark (1981)
Top Gun (1986)
The Sure Thing (1985)
License To Drive (1988)
Stand By Me (1986)
Better Of Dead (1985)
Electric Dreams (1984)

Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for answering my question Valley, and great poll!
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

i think we should have more polls around here. not just with movies, but music: singers, groups, songs, .....la la la [Big Grin]
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Hey Ronnie, that was my original plan to expand it to favorite song in a movie or favorite dance scenes, but I'm just not sure it would work because the voting might be too spread out to really determine a winner, plus how many people will actually send a poll in where it takes so much thought. Movies was the easiest, the rest get harder, but it might be fun to try.

Paul did a multiple choice poll once like the Academy Awards which was cool, however it only lets you vote on the small list of choices. But that kind of thing would be way easier compared to 208 movies, so that might be the route to go. I'm open for suggestions.

Are enough people interested to do more of this kind of stuff?

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very well done....I like your summaries of the movies too. I can't view the pictures though... :

Only 2 movies that were on my list made the top 15. Valley Girl and Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Fire with Fire and April Fool's Day and Breakin were up there on my list.

I like polls too. I think that doing a music one would be hard, because of how many songs there really are in comparisson to movies, like Valley said. I bet ya everyone would have a totally different list.

How about favorite movie characters...or even favorite top 10 scary movies...(you know-different categories of movies)..that's my input...I thought Valley did a great job...I would have been completely Clueless on how to even begin decifering all of that...and he did it perfectly..and then some. [Big Grin] [Wink] [Cool]

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Although time did not allow me to submit my choices, I agree with Ronnie. Polls done like this are very tasteful.

WE are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great write-ups from my wingman Val, no mention of ‘Scarface’ I see, good list overall though (I actually wrote mine out but forgot to send it). Good to see ‘Breakfast Club’, ‘Ferris’ and others all present and accounted for.‘The Goonies’ is just one of those movies that I’ve never really enjoyed for some reason, always thought ‘Monster Squad’ was ‘Goonies’ for people who didn’t like ‘The Goonies’.

Val...you do realise that 'Top Gun' didn't make the list either: "you jerk" [Wink]

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very Cool pictures!! (I do mean....Valley's pictures...there were a few "extras" in here I didn't find as cool as the others)- [Razz]

Again....very nice job!

[Wink] [Cool] [Wink] [Big Grin]

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Below are the rest of movies nominated in no particular order, except for a couple I knew weren't 80's movies which I didn't list. There are a few more that are question marks '79 or '80, but I listed them anyway because they are on the Smartmenu of The Rewind. Could be a few duplicates listed as well, but hopefully this is what everyone has asking about....

The Heavenly Kid
Fire With Fire (1986)
Trick Or Treat (1986)
Batman (1989)
Planes, Trains, & Automobiles (1987)
Ladyhawke (1985)
Evil Dead II (1987)
Withnail & I (1987)
Last American Virgin
Footloose
Blues Brothers
Spaceballs
Uncle Buck
Christmas Vacation
Moving Violations
Scrooged
Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
Howard The Duck
Spies Like Us
Naked Gun
Honey I Shrunk The Kids
Clue
Indiana Jones & The Temple Of Doom
Gremlins
Blade Runner
Crocodile Dundee
Tron
Spring Break
Star Trek II: The Wraith Of Khan
Escape From New York
Superman II
The Cannonball Run
Caddyshack
Flash Gordon
Megaforce
The Boy That Could Fly
Made In Heaven
Teen Witch
Dirty Dancing
Say Anything
Just One Of The Guys
Labyrinth
Evil Dead
Little Monsters
Die Hard
Private School
Riskey Business
Vision Quest
Wild Life
Willow
Airplane
April Fool's Day
Flight Of The Navigator
Mannequin
Revenge Of The Nerds
Mystic Pizza
Coming To America
Earth Girls Are Easy
Little Shop Of Horrors
Tremors
American Werewolf In London
The Dead Zone
Look Who's Talking
Terminator 2
Splash
Transylvania 6-5000
The Princess Bride
Into The Night
Amazon Women On The Moon
Volunteers
Making The Grade
Class
Modern Girls
Beetlejuice
The Wizard
Peewee's Big Adventure
The Neverending Story
Rainman
Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade
Goodmorning Vietnam
Back To The Future Part II
Big
Summer School
The Burbs
After Hours
Nightmare On Elmstreet
About Last Night
The Money Pit
Scarface
Lethal Weapon
The Little Mermaid
Beverly Hills Cop
Beverly Hills Cop 2
Christine
Night Shift
National Lampoon's Vacation
Chariots Of Fire
Ruthless People
UHF
Krush Groove
Reform School Girls
The Outsiders
The Shining
Fright Night
Malcolm
Adventures In Babysitting
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
My Science Project
Amadeus
Fletch
Poltergeist
Clash Of The Titans
La Bamba
Dream A Little Dream
Little Darlings
Meatballs
Lucas
She's Out Of Control
For Keeps
Halloween II
Grease II
Purple Rain
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Return Of the Living Dead
Shag: The Movie
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
Big Trouble In Little China
Full Metal Jacket
The Delta Force
Beastmaster
This Is Spinal Tap
Robocop
Mad Max 2
Casualties Of War
War Games
Witchboard
Angel
Dead Poets Society
Little Darlings
The Stepfather
Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo
License To Drive
Friday The 13th: Part 2
Girl's Just Want To Have Fun
Xanadu
Somewhere In Time
Fame
Less Than Zero
Easy Money
Mischief
Near Dark
Night Of The Comet
Once Bitten
Cry Baby
Flowers In the Attic
Killer Klowns From Outerspace
North Shore
48 Hours
The Abyss
Born On The 4th Of July
Strange Brew
Bull Durham
Soul Man
Teen Wolf
Eddie & The Cruisers
Karate Kid Part II
Back To The Beach
Raising Arizona
Back To School

This post is almost as long as one that Isis does everyday. [Razz]

Valley Signing Out!

Enjoy

Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
Ooh! Ooh! Believe it or not, Little Monsters was mine. [Wink]

Thanks for the list, Val!

Ignore the fact that I basically used the nickname for Valerie in Earth Girls.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home