iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Reason Why You Should Probably See a Movie Before Buying It (The Wraith)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Reason Why You Should Probably See a Movie Before Buying It (The Wraith)
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I bought a few DVDs yesterday: American Werewolf in London (which was a pleasure to watch on DVD after this horrible washed-out, bad sound copy I watched from the rental store--I could actually SEE and HEAR what was going on!), War Games (I saw most of it on TV one day, and don't remember much, but I remember liking it and I like Matthew Broderick.), and The Wraith.

I saw The Wraith on TV one day a loooong time ago, so I didn't really remember anything about it except there was Charlie Sheen and explosions. I like Charlie Sheen (and explosions aren't bad either), plus the back of the box elaborated on the plot and I'm a sucker for back from the dead stuff. Plus the DVD was $5.50, so if I didn't like it, I wouldn't have felt as bad as I would have if I'd spent $15 on it.

So, uh, at least it was rental price.

I sat there watching, wondering how on earth this made it to the big screen. Don't get me wrong, I was laughing a lot at the dialogue--Plus it took place in Arizona, where I live, and I recognized the desert they were racing through. It just . . . What the heck was it?

I kinda knew I was in for a trip when it began with these guys forcing a guy to race them for his car. I mean, c'mon. These guys had been stealing cars and holding this girl as a captive sorta girlfriend this whole time, and beating up people in public, and no one reports this? They're never caught? Didn't Kerri have, like, I dunno . . . a phone? Maybe where she worked or at her house? She could've called the police! Instead she's gotta wait for Charlie Sheen to come rescue her.

Speaking of which . . . As I watched, I couldn't help but notice the small, gaping plothole where no one notices that the new guy looks exactly like Jamie and has the scars on his back and everything exactly like the ones Jamie got. I mean . . . Their excuse at the end? "This is the closest I could come to being what I once was." He looked the same! And he's this broody, vengeful guy through most of the movie and then at the end he's like, "Hey, guess who I am?" "Oh, NOW I see! You're Jamie!" I mean, I almost expected him to pull a Clark Kent and just stick some glasses on to reveal who he was. Plus he's all like, "Here, Billy, have my car. No really, it's a sweet ride. Look, I know you're my brother and all, but I think I'm going to ride off into the sunset with the girl and kind of ignore the fact you thought I was dead all this time and now I'm leaving again."

Particularly enjoyed the dialogue of the local police chief, Randy Quaid. Or the strange lingo that they somehow try to convince us kids use such as, "Kidney killers" for bullets (or something). Or the tough talk between the punks and the authorities. I liked the nerdy punk with the big hair, especially when the gang is being threatened by the Wraith with a gun and he starts shooting, and the nerd gives a dramatic. "NOOO!"

They never really explained why the punks died before their cars crashed, or why their eyes were missing.

The DVD box was confusing. This is the first time I've ever come across this, but the box said that the movie was rated PG-13 . . . and the movie clearly wasn't. Between all the language (I was sure that there were some words that didn't fit a PG-13 movie, but half the time I couldn't tell what the heck they were talking about with all the confusing lingo, so they could've been saying "buckers", "duckers", or "suckers" at any of these times.), sex scenes, and breast shots, I wasn't sure which one wasn't clear that this was R-rated.

But oh man, is it a funny ride. I mean, a lot of it was unintentional I think. It was cheesy the whole way through--not one I'd watch over and over again, but a good one for those boring days when you need to kill time.

Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought a copy off ebay of the wraith for like $3 about a year ago. It is an all plastic clear case. Never saw anything like the case b4, but I have always liked this movie for some reason. It could be Sherilyn Fenn...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mane1980
Rewind Guru
Member # 4240

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mane1980   Author's Homepage   Email Mane1980   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's true, it happened to me once. I bought The Rachel Papers and I didn't like it. The good thing is that I bought it cheap.
Posts: 631 | From: From Out of this World | Registered: Jul 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
haha you really picked the movie apart lupa. i guess i never thought of those things because i was little when the movie came out. infact, i watched the wraith not that long ago (it was on cable) and it's funny how i noticed or picked up on things i didn't understand when i was little or didn't even pay attention to. that happens when don't see a movie for so long, and hadn't seen it since you were not even old enough to understand certain things.

but even today, i like the movie.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mane1980,

I'm surprised that you didn't like the Rachel Papers. What rubbed you the wrong way? I'm just curious cause it's one of my favorite movies. I thought the cast was awesome, Dexter Fletcher, Ione Skye and James Spader...worked for me. I also love the British thing. Their catchphrases and terminology intrigue me. Oh well, c'est la vie [Wink] .

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh heh, I had a conversation with my friend and came up with a few quotes to poke fun at the movie (Take into account that I live in Arizona):

And the local hangout is some hip burger place which I've never seen, and they have tons of racing scenes through the desert (which I've driven through and it just reminds me of road trips I've had).

Apparently they think Arizona is a great place to swim. There were like, tons of teenagers just hanging out at this swimming hole and I'm like, "Where'd the swimming hole come from?"

You know, it'd be funny if they were like, "Hey, it's hot sitting here at this burger joint. Want to go skiing on Arizona Mountain? There's tons of fresh powder."

"Dude, let's go make out on the ice caps."

The sheriff:

"What's the matter, you too hopped up on brain-melters to talk?"
(I believe he may have used the term "brain-melters.")

Jamie:

"Day 44: Still trying to vengefully kill those killers but still haven't found them through the tundra. Saw Keri's boobs today. Leather outfit has been chaffing and the lotion I ordered hasn't come in. Ate a polar bear for sustenance."

I had so much fun making fun of this movie. [Big Grin] Good times.

Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a movie that when I saw as a teenager (AKA probably drunk) I seemed to believe it. Try watching it as an adult. What a dumb-a** movie! It's just so bad on so many levels!
(This is just my opinion...I know the film has it's fan base...and a pretty big one at that).
Chalk me up for Hot For Charlie and I just watched it to drool over him.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mane1980
Rewind Guru
Member # 4240

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mane1980   Author's Homepage   Email Mane1980   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About Rachel Papers. I don't know it just not my type of movie (even if I've seen many genres of movies). I bought it because of Ione Skye, I tought I give it a try but at the end I didn't like it.
Posts: 631 | From: From Out of this World | Registered: Jul 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lastdaysofrain
Master Rewinder
Member # 2542

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lastdaysofrain   Author's Homepage   Email Lastdaysofrain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Wraith? How could you not like it? Just about anything with Sherilyn Fenn's ta-ta's is worth watching.

I liked the Rachel Papers a lot, but I couldn't tell you why. Because I have no clue. I like most English films of the 80s, probably because there were so few, it being the one of the few. If you dug The Rachel Papers you should check out a UK movie from 89 called "Getting It Right"

Posts: 125 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home