iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The only 90s movies that are truly 80s movies...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The only 90s movies that are truly 80s movies...
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I often see Rewinders mentioning movies like "Pump Up The Volume" and "Mermaids" on this, an *Eighties* movie board. I say that 90s movies shouldn't be mentioned on here. There are a few exceptions, though.

I've often made mention of this in other topics, but I figured I'd give it its' own topic.

These movies are what I call "The 90s movies that aren't". That means that although they were released in 1990, they can't be considered 90s movies by one simple virtue:

They have 1989 copyright dates. You have to stay through the closing credits to get this information, but once you do, you can find some neat surprises.

The following movies have 1989 copyright dates (The $ sign means they've been reviewed for the 80s Movies Rewind):

-"Lisa" ($)
-"Loose Cannons" ($)
-"Blue Steel"
-"Revenge"
-"Downtown"
-"Impulse"

These are the only ones I know of offhand, but they are indeed 80s movies by copyright date.

My question is:

Does anybody who stays through the closing credits of movies know of any "90s movies that aren't"?

Remember: They have to have a 1989 copyright date or they don't count. That means no "Bird On A Wire" or "**** Tracy" or "Total Recall" or "Kindergarten Cop" or "Problem Child" or "Days Of Thunder".

It also helps if you can read Roman numerals.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good question, going to have to watch the credits at the end of Don't Tell her it's me, and the Book of Love too. i really have to get used to reading moving small print though.

A

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNUC
Master Rewinder
Member # 3594

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TNUC   Author's Homepage   Email TNUC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
POINT BREAK IS WAY TOO 80S, ITS UNREAL
Posts: 193 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thebazman
Master Rewinder
Member # 1741

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for thebazman   Author's Homepage   Email thebazman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I havnt been on the board for awhile, so its good to be back, im sure ive got lots to catch up on.

when i saw this it did remind of a post i made sometime ago on this very subject, that movies released in 1990 ARE 80's movies as the 90's don't start untill 1991.

Also some of these movies were filmed at least part in 89' and 1990 still had the 80's feel.

one of my fav movies is home alone, being a 1990 film its over looked, but its an 80's movie to me, feels like it, looks like it, lol

Baz

Posts: 142 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by thebazman:
I havnt been on the board for awhile, so its good to be back, im sure ive got lots to catch up on.

when i saw this it did remind of a post i made sometime ago on this very subject, that movies released in 1990 ARE 80's movies as the 90's don't start untill 1991.

Also some of these movies were filmed at least part in 89' and 1990 still had the 80's feel.

one of my fav movies is home alone, being a 1990 film its over looked, but its an 80's movie to me, feels like it, looks like it, lol

Baz

To me, that's bunk. [Wink]

If the year has an 80 in it, then it's an 80s movie. I can tell when a 90s movie is a 90s movie. I can detect a certain look to the cinematography, a certain feel and pitch to the music or a certain style of clothing and be able to tell that it's a 90s movie.

"Point Break" and "Home Alone" are no-gos and they don't answer the question, being as both have 1990 copyright dates.

So, let's ask the question again:

Does anybody who stays through the closing credits of movies know of any "90s movies that aren't"?

Remember: They have to have a 1989 copyright date or THEY DON'T COUNT. [Big Grin] [Wink] [Razz] That means no "Bird On A Wire" or "**** Tracy" or "Total Recall" or "Kindergarten Cop" or "Problem Child" or "Days Of Thunder".

It also helps if you can read Roman numerals.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thebazman
Master Rewinder
Member # 1741

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for thebazman   Author's Homepage   Email thebazman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no need to ask the question again its quite clear at the top, nor did i offer an answer,

but unfortunately what i said is true, 1990 is the 80's, sorry but its fact.

ofcourse i forgot as you "can tell when a 90s movie is a 90s movie. I can detect a certain look to the cinematography, a certain feel and pitch to the music or a certain style of clothing and able to tell that it's a 90s movie"

what a special gift that is, the rumours must be true they flipped the switch on dec 31st 1989 and everything changed, looked & felt different, it had a 90s feel, lol [Big Grin]

that is certainly "bunk" if ever i saw it, [Eek!]

anyway happy searchin it will be an interesting list, which i look forward to seeing. If i come across any i'll certainly post them here.

Regards,
Barrie

Posts: 142 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigworld
Senior Rewinder
Member # 3107

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for bigworld   Email bigworld   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice, well argued reply Barrie

I agree.

George

Posts: 58 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What if the movie was made sometime during the 80's decade...but was not released until the 90's or 2k?

One example that come to mind:

"Coffee And Cigarettes". Parts of it were filmed around 1987, another part was filmed in 1989, other parts were filmed in segments at various times in the early 90's, and in 2k. It finally came out in 2003.

Would that movie count?

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by StevenHW:
What if the movie was made sometime during the 80's decade...but was not released until the 90's or 2k?

One example that come to mind:

"Coffee And Cigarettes". Parts of it were filmed around 1987, another part was filmed in 1989, other parts were filmed in segments at various times in the early 90's, and in 2k. It finally came out in 2003.

Would that movie count?

No. The answer is in the copyright date. If it doesn't say 1989, it doesn't count.

Also, quoting Barrie:

ofcourse i forgot as you "can tell when a 90s movie is a 90s movie. I can detect a certain look to the cinematography, a certain feel and pitch to the music or a certain style of clothing and able to tell that it's a 90s movie"

what a special gift that is, the rumours must be true they flipped the switch on dec 31st 1989 and everything changed, looked & felt different, it had a 90s feel, lol
-----------------------

There's no need for sarcasm, Barrie. [Mad] Have you EVER tried looking at a movie beyond the surface?

Have you ever tried looking for grain or a certain lighting in the cinematography? Have you ever tried detecting instruments used and the tones they're played at? Have you ever tried looking at fashion magazines from the early 90s and then compared them to the movies of that decade?

Even if you haven't, then head here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980s

It says there that the 80s extended from 1980 to 1989.

I see that you were born on the same day in the same year that I was, so then I'll say that neither of us should trust the other one.

I say we should trust the Wikipedia link instead. Both of us were only kids in the decade and the people who run this Wikipedia entry have to have been adults in the decade, so they would be better authorities than either one of us.

Now, can we get back to the subject at hand, following the rules I set down?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

SHEESH!

thebazman
Master Rewinder
Member # 1741

Member Rated:
Lol, well i certainly have to thankyou for the laugh anyway,

And if you were born the exact same day as me then i wont even bother going much further as being a fellow capricorn you'll probably be as deathly stubborn as me, lol

the sarcasm was not meant to make you angry but well, the lol followed by the big grin [Big Grin] i hoped would make it clear it was not done with an attitude, it was light hearted.

However i cant accept your Wikipedia web page especially on the grounds that they were adults in the 80s when i wasnt!!!, if you care to do proper research (extensive or otherwise) into the subject you will see your argument is 100% wrong its historical and scientific fact. I studied the topic in university for a time.

There is no year 0, by todays calendar 1 BC was followed by 1 AD, therefore if by your reasoning (which is a common misconception) decades end in year x9 eg year 10 was the start of the 2nd decade, then the first decade had only 9 years. 1 - 9.

Starting at year 1, the decade ended in year 10, 11 - 20 and so on, thus if the 80's ended in 1989, counting backwards we are short 1 year. Scientifically the year 0 was added as a dummy year to preserve logic, but its equal to year 1 AD. In other words it doesnt exist much the same as dummy nodes in Project Management, preserving logic when the event doesnt actually exist.

Anyway the final point you almost answered yourself in your last post, of course there are differences in 90's movies from 80's movies, and yes i do like to pay attention such things when watching movies, but having a 1990 copyright doesnt make it any less valid which is what you suggest.

For Example, taking '89 as the cut off point for 80's movies if you like, Back To The Future III, released in 1990, with a 1990 copyright, you would argue it wasnt an 80's movie. But it was filmed in its entirety in 1989, making it just as valid as any with an 89 copyright.

It's simple common sense, a movie released in the early parts of 1990 had to be made in 1989, either completely or partially. The idea that come midnight Dec 31st 1989 things start looking different, in terms of music, style, cinematography is preposterous. Naturally the 90's had a different feel but not to that extreme.

HOWEVER, as i said before nothing i said here is meant to change the idea of your list, as i dont suggest you take any other movies into account except those with '89 copyrights as thats what your looking for and i look forward to seeing what comes out of it, but the logic behind them being the only 90's movies to be true 80's movies is flawed as is the idea that something made in '89 and a little in 90, that it automatically loses the 80's feel and gains a 90's one.

Phew, lol lets leave the debate there shall we, ive certainly said all i need to put across my view.

Regards,
Barrie

thebazman
Master Rewinder
Member # 1741

Member Rated:
"Don't Tell Her It's Me" would be added to your list as riptide mentioned as it does have the 1989 copyright.

Barrie

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home