iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Movie of the Day--St. Elmo's Fire

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Movie of the Day--St. Elmo's Fire
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay now this is one of the greatest movies ever in my opinion that gets the least amount of acclaim. It stars almost all of our brat packers.

Scenario: Seven friends graduate from Georgetown University and head out into the real world.

It has everthing a film should sex, drugs, and rock n' roll. So why is it that it isn't as loved as The Breakfast Club or Sixteen Candles?? I mean don't get me wrong I love it and I know that people do but it just doesn't get referenced on here that much.

Why do you guys think that it has kind of gotten lost?

Also what are some of your favorite memories from the film?

Mine: When Kevin tells Leslie that he is in love with her and they end up doing it on a coffin.

When Kirby makes a fool of himself going to see Dale Bebberman (sp??)then finally gets to kiss her and is happy with himself.

When they all come to Jules rescue.

When Billy is playing the saxophone at St. Elmo's and shakes sweat all over the audience.

What do you guys think about this one? [Wink]

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, that is why they call it acting!!
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brode
Master Rewinder
Member # 3732

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brode   Author's Homepage   Email Brode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I own it. It's decent. I want to know how Billy keeps getting fired and continues to get new jobs. How is that even possible? Was the job market incredibly lax back in the 80s? Now, if you get fired once, you're pretty much pinholed to be a janitor.
Posts: 267 | From: Manitoba | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kat27
Master Rewinder
Member # 3979

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kat27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys, anyone who nows me knows that this is one of my all time faves! I think that it quite sums up the excesses of the 80s really well and didn't we all want to be Alec or Leslie? I just got the soundtrack from a friend after missing it for a number of years and love the song 'young & innocent' which is track 3.

My fave bits are when Jules says to Billy that she never thought that she would be this tired at 23. When Kevin tells Leslie that she loves him and when Wendy's mum whispers all of the bad words at the dinner table. I reckon it's more than decent Brode! I love this movie, I don't know why but I think because there is a little bit of each character that I can relate to. Reality Bites tried to do the same thing for gen X in the 90s. I think that both films summed up a generation. And also the boys are very easy on the eye!

Posts: 327 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SouthernKat
Senior Rewinder
Member # 3239

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for SouthernKat   Author's Homepage   Email SouthernKat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
St Elmo's fire came out when I was a doctoral student in Languages and Literature at a university in Louisiana. It was the "must see" movie for our little pack of graduate assistants because we so strongly identified with the different characters in
the film. There were so many funny parts, like (Judd Nelson's character) giving Billy a swirly and Billy saying "Well, the wet look is in!" and Billy had some of the best lines in the movie, like (to Jules) "Don't save it for your boss," "Wow, welfare recipients are getting better looking" and "Drunk, definitely! I don't think you could call it driving!"
Plus, Andrew McCarthy was so adorable in this that I would have done it in a coffin with him, too!!!

SouthernKat

Posts: 51 | From: Altamonte Springs Florida | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thebazman
Master Rewinder
Member # 1741

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for thebazman   Author's Homepage   Email thebazman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well there has to be someone so here goes, lol

i must admit i didnt like it at all, maybe cause i didnt watch it earlier, i only saw it this year im 22 now.

i found it very dated and somewhat pretentious, and i dont usually find 80's movies dated even when clearly they are, thats part of the charm i like. lol

Barrie

Posts: 142 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason it isn't as popular...is because they are older...and aren't high school students...kids in the age range of 13-18 can't relate to St. Elmo's Fire yet, so that is a huge percentage of the movie going audience.

I like St. Elmo's...I like just looking at Rob Lowe...that makes it totally worth the price of admission in my opinion. But, they were really snobs....I hated how Billy treated Wendy..he used her so badly...and when they had the scene where they were kissing, and he was checking out whatever the heck kind of panty hose she was wearing...and making fun of her...that was totally something a 16 year old would do.

They were all spoiled brats...especially Demi- she always had such drama going over absolutely nothing...I can't even remember now what caused her to lock herself in the room, but what were they all afraid of...that she would freeze to death in a few minutes time?? I think it had something to do with her "Step Monster"..but it was so petty.

I have always thought Andrew McCarthy looks like the worse kisser on the planet...his love scenes in "Class" and the one in St. Elmo's Fire, and his kiss scene in Pretty in Pink...are embarrassing to watch. I mean come on...he has had to have enough practice.

Emilio's character is called a "stalker". Andie MacDowell was like 2 feet taller than him.

The character I liked the best was Ally Sheedy (Leslie)...she was the only one who seemed to have any sense in their head. The others were completely confused. She was a little confused...but not to the point of being self destructive.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need to watch this again, it's been too long. But Isis you are right, they did have enough character flaws to turn me off.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A reasonable picture. Probably would have been a better concept in Hughes's hands, but still one of Joel Schumacher's better films (especially compared to what he'd start producing a decade or so later--yikes!!!). And there's no denying John Parr's anthem is one of the best title songs of the decade (remember when the NBA on CBS would co-opt it for commercial breaks?).
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it the man in motion song? Did David Foster write it?
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always liked this movie. Get drunk and watch it then tell us what you thought... [Big Grin]
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great movie. I always liked this instrumental.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5oCPchQWoI

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was weird ...to read again...years later...I never can remember things I have written that long ago.

But, it is true what I said about Ally Sheedy...I thought the exact same thing again when I was watching it the other day. I like her the most in the movie. I kind of was liking Andrew McCarthey better this last time, but he was a mess again in the whole romance department.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
I was always miffed with Rob Lowe throughout the movie treating Jenny Wright like dirt. He looked like he could have been a member of Duran Duran too.
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lowe was good in this, but he was better in Youngblood IMO.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is definitely a guilty pleasure for me. I'm not exactly sure what's so special about it, but I enjoy watching it.
Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Riptide:
Is it the man in motion song? Did David Foster write it?

Riptide, it is St Elmo's Fire (Man In Motion) and David Foster did write it with John Parr.
Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bunnygirl
Rewind Curious
Member # 11415

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Bunnygirl   Email Bunnygirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw this for the first time (born in 83, missed it the first time around, lol) and while I liked it, I hated the ending.

There were a couple of lose ends I didn't like:

Kevin is suposedly in love with Leslie and won't even look at another woman. He finally has sex with her, and then she decides she was moving too fast and drops him. And he seem fine with that. Same thing with Kirby, one kiss and he's perfectly okay afterwards.

Of course I was rooting for Kevin because I love me some Andrew but still, that part really annoyed me!

Posts: 2 | From: Boston | Registered: Apr 2012 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home