iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Against All Odds

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Against All Odds
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is one of those movies...that I heard the name of alot in the 80's, and it had the great song title to it....but I never saw it.

I wasn't sure what it was actually about.

Has anyone seen it? And did you like it.

I know it is a love story with Jeff Bridges and Rachel Ward.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw it when it came out. It was ok but not that special. I liked the title song by Phil Collins.
It was basically about an ex-football player turned detective who is hired to find the wife of some rich dude.

Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The movie was boring to me Miss Isis....but the song is awesome....I love Phil Collins....I even saw the title of the thread and started singing it....awww love it! [Smile]
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Muff you hit the nail on the head. I would watch the movie just to see the song. It was kind of slow moving, but you cannot help but just absolutely love the song! One of my favorite movie songs of all time!
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have accidentally landed upon this movie. I just flicked through some of it briefly and just about to sit down and watch. I remember the car racing scene from when I saw some of this as a midday movie from taking the day off school. I thought Ferris Bueller's record of 9 times absent was pretty tame. Can't wait to sit and watch this.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Against All Odds and own the dvd.
Not much action in it but i like the feeling it has. Pure 80s.
Love the locations, the Collins tune and the cast is excellent.

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff Bridges is always at his best when he plays a 'has-been' character (preferably on alcohol or drugs).
8 Million Ways To Die, The Big Lebowski, Crazy Heart.. he's the man ! [Big Grin]

-

[ 12. April 2012, 02:55: Message edited by: Johnny Roarke is reckless ]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if ISIS ever saw this film. If so, what did you think? I loved it and always look forward to seeing it again.
Posts: 1990 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Against All Odds" is only an OK movie, good cast, good locations, good song, good car chase, yet... It's lacking in excitment. The original called "Out of the Past" with Robert Mitchum and Jane Greer is great. Come to think of it, Jane Greer was in both films!
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We don't care, we still want ze money Lebowski.

Yeah, I watched it and didn't think much of the actual movie but the locations and other stuff mentioned was good.

Robert Mitchum is an awesome actor BTW.

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
I have never seen the Phil Collins video and it is on the music channel on cable right now. Awesome.
Dutch Gannon
Master Rewinder
Member # 10167

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Dutch Gannon   Email Dutch Gannon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually really liked the movie when I saw it. My brother said he didn't think it was all that great. However I love the Neo Noir style, Miami Vice esque drama suspense. James Woods is great as the bad guy as always. Jeff Bridges is good in it. The locations music and pacing are all very good in my opinion, I want to be in an adventure like that, only without all the risk of death or personal injury. But Rachel Ward stole my heart and the show, I wanted to give her a big kiss at the end. All and all I thought it was decent.

[ 17. April 2012, 08:52: Message edited by: Dutch Gannon ]

Posts: 168 | Registered: Nov 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gotta go back:
I wonder if ISIS ever saw this film. If so, what did you think? I loved it and always look forward to seeing it again.

BUMP
Posts: 1990 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

I bumped this back in 2012 for the original poster.

Watched it this week and loved it again. The things I enjoy about this movie.
The opening carribean scenes. Its set in Cozumel but dont know if it was actually there.
The tough, hard personality of Bridges character.
The street rACe scene.
The ancient ruins.
When Kirsch gets thrown into the drum set is beautiful and every

scene with Rachel Ward.
The decete is boiling over in this flick.

JCU
Master Rewinder
Member # 2851

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for JCU   Email JCU   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LISA LISA:
This is one of those movies...that I heard the name of alot in the 80's, and it had the great song title to it....but I never saw it.

I wasn't sure what it was actually about.

Has anyone seen it? And did you like it.

I know it is a love story with Jeff Bridges and Rachel Ward.

You too huh? I've always wanted to view it but had other things going on in the 80's. Last week or so it was on HBO and, naturally, I missed it.

Bridges is one of those actors who has been a constant figure since way back when up until today. I'll watch his films because he doesn't come across as a pompous clown.

Posts: 115 | From: Northeastern PA | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Against All Odds" is a decent '80's thriller. I had seen bits & pieces of this back in the day, but never saw the film in it's entirety until the 200X's (on DVD). Later watched it on Blu.

Good story, fantastic scenery, and great acting on the parts of all the cast members.

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Against All Odds is okay, but a pale, pale comparison to the original, Out of the Past, with Robert Mitchum and Jane Greer. It's too soapy and filmed too much like a perfume commercial for me, which dilutes that it has excellent acting (James Woods is especially effective), there's an amazing car chase, and, of course, one of the greatest Phil Collins ballads on the soundtrack. It had all the elements, but Taylor Hackford, the director, just didn't have the ability to put them together in a good way.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jakey V
Master Rewinder
Member # 37348

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jakey V   Email Jakey V   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everything said about this movie is exactly what I was going to write after seeing it for the first time recently. OK movie, great song, great scenery. The song doesn't play until the very end, though, and I actually forgot about it during the movie.
Posts: 204 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: A Long Time Ago! | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home