iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Poltergeist

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Poltergeist
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember ever talking to anyone on here about this movie that much.

My son has been playing the new Star Wars game , and the music in it reminds me of music from Poltergeist...it is kind of spine tingling and freaky sounding.

I remember Poltergeist was a movie we watched all summer long. It was scary stuff.

I want to watch it again over the summer.

Stuff like houses being built over cemetaries creep me out.

My mom is reading a scary book right now, and this freaked me out...the name of a Bed N Breakfast in her book, is the same name we are using for ours, and I have never seen it as a Bed N Breakfast name ever, cause I took the name from a character in a movie. Weird, huh??

I always get freaked out by the unexplainable.

Poltergeist scared me so bad, when the tree came through the window and grabbed Robbie and pulled him out the window. Cause being scared of thunder and lightening is something alot of kids and adults are afraid of, and then the clown grabbing him and pulling him under the bed...Yikers!

Also, the scene with the steak sliding across the table, and the one guys face peeling off- I still to this day can not watch that scene.

The very end of Poltergeist, to me is what a cool movie is, where your holding your breath...cause your scared when those coffins start popping up through the house, and in the swimming pool, that just freaks me out, no matter how many times I have seen that movie.

What does anyone else think of it??

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aw, man, scary movie. I thought it was good, and the sequels, too. I haven't watched them in awhile, though.

That clown creeps me out. O.o

Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was a very good scary flick, I still can't believe it was only rated PG. I actually liked the sequels too,

"God is in his hollllyyyy templee.." Oh wee scary guy in the second one. It is sad that Heather O'Rourke died during the filming of the third one. It was a little bit lacking.

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brandon777
Master Rewinder
Member # 4014

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brandon777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was another great movie by Spielberg. Supposedly, there were some weird things that happened during the making of the film and afterwards. I know the two sisters are dead now. The little girl died of a kidney disease if I'm not mistaken and the older sister was murdered by her boyfriend. I can't remember what channel it was on but they had a special about the movie. It was talking about the weird things that would happen on the set. Great movie. I own the dvd.
Posts: 239 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brandon777
Master Rewinder
Member # 4014

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brandon777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

God is in his holy temple.......

Posts: 239 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the E! True Hollywood Story on the series last summer. What's amazing is that a psychic that was close to one of the cast members (I forget exactly who) predicted during production of Part 2 that there would be a third film but no more (surprising considering how they normally run any horror franchise into the ground with a minimum 5 films), and that the critics would like the crazy preacher in Part 2, but little else, as turned out to be the case in general.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SouthernKat
Senior Rewinder
Member # 3239

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for SouthernKat   Author's Homepage   Email SouthernKat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

Spielberg was the producer for "Poltergeist" but it was directed by Tobe Hooper of "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" fame. For me, a scary moment came when the opened the channel for the ghosts and they all came marching down the stairs, as wispy, ill-defined creatures that made them seem so much scarier than the standard "double-exposed" ghosts so often seen in Hollywood productions.

The family depicted all seemed so normal, too, and when they start getting the disturbances they do all the plausible things "normal" people might do, like check it out with their neighbors and their realtor and such. There was the one scene where they showed how people could be pulled across the floor first the daughter in a football helmet and then the wife (JoBeth Williams).

I did not see two and only saw the first 20 minutes of three.

SouthernKat

Posts: 51 | From: Altamonte Springs Florida | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brandon777:
 -

God is in his holy temple.......

truly one of the creepiest characters in Hollywood history. Such a classic scene.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

The throwing up of the worm is a great part. In my first 10 years of life, it was the first movie I remember being really scared of (the first one).

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When this came out, this was the movie that really gave me that sense of dread when it was on. Freakish-paranrmal stuff always scares the bejesus out of me. I laugh now, but I remember my sister and I were quick to change the channel in case there was snow on the tv. "They're here!"
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is sad that 2 out of the 3 kids are now dead in real life.

That's why I have a hard time now watching it.

I always wondered what they used to make that gook that's covering them when they pull them out of the light.

All that paranormal stuff real interests me.

It happens at my house all the time.

The other night my mom said she heard this tingling sound in her bathroom -she has a little windchime in there- it freaked her out because she didn't know what brushed in to it to make it move....then she heard a "thud"...so she wasn't sure what to do, it took her a minute to get up the nerve to go see what that was. She has a sea shell we got at the beach, and it has a dog inside it that looks like our dog-and it hangs on a string like an ornament- it was laying on the floor. I said maybe the string broke, and she said that's what she thought too...but she said to me...go see if you can find the string somewhere, because it had disappeared. It was nowhere to be found.

In my mom's room there is a weird division of the outlet plugs. We just spent hundreds of dollars trying to figure out what was wrong with her laptop...finally the computer tech came to our house- she could not figure it out, but 3 of the plugs in the room will not pick up a signal, and the other ones do....if she uses an extension cord then she gets a signal. They said they have never encountered a problem like that ever.

We dug up that Tombstone when we built her room addition.

The little boy who died, it's coming up on the anniversary of his death...he died Feb. 11, 1847.

It's really weird how many unexplainable things happen here all the time.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saturnchick
Master Rewinder
Member # 7524

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for saturnchick   Email saturnchick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A great, classic scary flick. I think it's one of the best horror movies of the 80's. For some inexplicable reason, my brothers, who were both much older than me, took me to go see that movie in the theater. I was VERY young, so I can't even imagine how I got in.

Anyway, I was terrified by the scene when the paranormal expert washes his face, and all of the meat begins to fall off! I was afraid to wash my face for days.

Oh, and let's not even mention the scene at the end, where the clown doll attacks Robbie. That scene still makes me jump out of my skin. I blame Poltergeist for my distaste of clowns.

Posts: 339 | From: New York City | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Devolution:
Devolution here,

The throwing up of the worm is a great part. In my first 10 years of life, it was the first movie I remember being really scared of (the first one).

We are DEVO

I'm in cahoots with Devolution here in saying this was the first movie I can remember seeing as a young lad that truly "terrified" me. I remember I was about 5 or 6 years old when I saw it at a friend's house. I was covering my eyes and looking away through most of the movie. I remember that the part where the plush clown came to life and dragged Ronnie under his bed was the part that broke it for me and caused me to run out of my friend's house all the way home screaming.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Jack Burton
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4673

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mr. Jack Burton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THEY'RE HEEERE!!!

-

Love this movie. Watched it at home last Christmas during the day. Friends called round and thought it was weird. I didn't. This is such a watchable movie. I'm gonna watch it this weekend. Maybe over breakfast!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1069 | From: Dragon of the Black Pool Restaurant, Chinatown. | Registered: Mar 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home