iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » NIGHT SHIFT starring The Fonz and other 80s dvds I just bought

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NIGHT SHIFT starring The Fonz and other 80s dvds I just bought
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does nayone else love NIGHT SHIFT? It's the one where Henry The Fonz Winkler works in a morgue with Michael Mr Mom Keaton and they become "love brokers" for hooker with a heart of gold Shelly Cheers Long? That movie is so funny. I just ordered the dvd (and cheap too! Less than $5.00!)
I also ordered:

SPLASH (20th Anniversary Edition)
BIG
TOOTSIE

They are all really funny ones.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay where did you get these cheap?
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NIGHT SHIFT www.half.com ($5)
SPLASH www.eBay.com (using BUY IT NOW)($12)
TOOTSIE www.half.com ($10)
BIG www.half.com (I forget what it cost...somewhere between $5-$10)

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Michael Keaton in Night Shift, I haven't seen it in a long time.

I loved Splash, it was one of the first PG movies I ever saw.

I think Tootsie is great-I love Bill Murray's part in it- and that is a movie I always forget he is even in, it has such a great cast.

Big-I liked it when it came out, and I loved his apartment, but I never liked that the kid was only 13 in it, because of the relationship with Elizabeth Perkins...they shouldn't have made them get so serious.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brode
Master Rewinder
Member # 3732

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brode   Author's Homepage   Email Brode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen Night Shift. It was fun.
Posts: 267 | From: Manitoba | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Night Shift" is a classic to my brothers & myself.

I find myself wanting to quote Michael Keaton's character quite often, which does render strange looks from the uninitiated:

~I'm an idea man Chuck, I get ideas, sometimes I get so many ideas that I can't even fight them off!
~Hold the phone, hold the phone! Edible paper! You eat it, it's gone... you eat it, it's outta there! No more garbage!
~I wash my hands and my feet of you!
~Is this a great country or what?

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SouthernKat
Senior Rewinder
Member # 3239

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for SouthernKat   Author's Homepage   Email SouthernKat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HOLD THE PHONE!
Feed tuna fish mayonaisse. That way you would be able to catch them and have a tuna salad right then and there!

Shelly Long's Hooker character: "It's a sick world -- thank god!"

Other funny scenes: Henry Winkler's character gets attacked by a bunch of cookie box wielding little girl scouts (they think he is robbing the hooker on the elevator). Michael Keaton's character showing off the virtues of his tinted window car (pretending to smoke a joint while a police car passes by).

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't this one of Ron Howard's first forays into directing?

SouthernKat

Posts: 51 | From: Altamonte Springs Florida | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you look at Ron Howard's filmography, "Night Shift" is probably his first notable feature film...however, he was behind the cameras in the '70s, especially on a movie he was starring in called "Grand Theft Auto." Apparently he cut some sort of deal where he co-directed this film, if I have the facts right. He was also very busy on the "Crappy Days" set, learning as much as possible about production and directing.
Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched Night Shift again on the weekend. I liked the chemistry between Long-Winkler and love Keaton as the zany sidekick. That Dionne Warwick Them song (That's what friends are for) was in my head all day at work.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
wow this is an old post!

by the way, one of the girl scouts who attacks Henry Winkler is Shannon Doherty.

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is one of my favourite films of the 80s. Bill Blazejowski is a legend.

Bill: You tellin' me to shut up?
Chuck: I'm telling you to shut up! I will tell your recorder so that you don't forget!
[Chuck picks up tape recorder and turns it on]
Chuck: Hello, this is Chuck to remind Bill to SHUT UP!

Bill: We're all adults here - we can talk about this openly...
[writing on chalkboard]
Bill: PROSTITUTION! But what does that mean really? Sometimes it helps to understand a word if you break it down, so let's do that now shall we? Pros... it doesn't mean anything, you can forget about that... T*t, I think we all know what that means, Tu, two t*t and TION of course, from the Latin to shun... to say uh-uh no thank you anyway I don't want it, to push away... it doesn't even belong in this word really.

Chuck Lumley: As we sit here and idly chat, there are woman, female human beings, rolling around in strange beds with strange men, and we are making money from that.
Bill Blazejowski: Is this a great country, or what?

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always been a big fan of Night Shift. I recommend it to people all the time.
Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HeadRusch
Master Rewinder
Member # 3755

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HeadRusch   Email HeadRusch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And since we're on the topic, don't skip DOCTOR DETROIT either. Same type of premise, with a great DEVO title track [Smile]

Where the phrase "I'm going to rip off your head and SH*T down your neck" came from [Smile]

Posts: 125 | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was Kevin Costner in Night Shift? I heard somehwere he was, he might have been a brothel patron. I also heard Drew Barrymore's mom was an extra too.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Costner is one of the frat boys at the party Michael Keaton hosts in the morgue. I believe that was his first movie role, too. Shannon Doherty has a bit role also.
Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mane1980
Rewind Guru
Member # 4240

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mane1980   Author's Homepage   Email Mane1980   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Riptide:
I watched Night Shift again on the weekend. I liked the chemistry between Long-Winkler and love Keaton as the zany sidekick. That Dionne Warwick Them song (That's what friends are for) was in my head all day at work.

Wasn't it Rod Stewart who sang it first for the soundtrack and then covered by dionne warwick and friends (stevie wonder, gladys knight & elthon john)?
Posts: 631 | From: From Out of this World | Registered: Jul 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fightertown
Master Rewinder
Member # 7418

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Fightertown   Email Fightertown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had this movie in my library for sometime now.

Keaton - Fresh and fearless
Winkler - Such a natural
Long - Sexy

Posts: 230 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Riptide:

quote:
Originally posted by Mane1980:
Wasn't it Rod Stewart who sang it first for the soundtrack and then covered by dionne warwick and friends (stevie wonder, gladys knight & elthon john)?

Yeah, "That's What Friends Are For" is a Burt Bacharach/Carole Bayer Sager song that was written for the movie and performed by Rod Stewart. The record company hated it and refused to release it as a single, because they thought it was too soft for Rod. A few years later Sager suggested it to Dionne Warwick. She wanted to do it as a duet with Stevie Wonder. During recording it was decided they needed a third vocalist and Dionne suggested Gladys Knight. They cut the track, but it was felt that they needed a fourth contrasting voice for the fourth verse and chorus so Clive Davis suggested Elton John. Elizabeth Taylor was in attendance at the studio and Sager, knowing about Taylor's AIDS charity work, suggested that they donate all the proceeds from the song to AmFar. That version was released in November 1985 and hit a #1 in January 1986, where it stayed for 4 weeks.

[ 05. December 2008, 06:01: Message edited by: journey ]

Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Thanks, clears that up about the song. Is the rod Steart version on the soundtrack or was it ever released?
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
I love the scene where little Shannon Doherty blows the whistle on Winkler in the elevator and the girl guides swarm him hitting them with their cookies.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home