iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Chances Are (1989)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chances Are (1989)
Saint_in_London
Master Rewinder
Member # 2575

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Saint_in_London   Email Saint_in_London   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I nearly missed this one back in the day. Did this slip by anybody else? I know sometimes films get held up with being released and dont get promoted properly.

This must have been released on Video if not shown at the cinema but the first time I watched it was just on regular TV in the UK not even one of the pay cable channels. I guess it must have been a bit of a flop but I liked it, have not seen it in well over 5 years now though. Maybe not quite in the Heavenly Kid League though.

Considering the stars from the 80s who are in it it’s surprising it wasn’t a bigger hit.

Cybill Shepherd, Robert Downey Jr, Mary Stuart Masterson

And of course it has the chart hit of

"AFTER ALL (Love theme from CHANCES ARE)"
Performed by Cher and Peter Cetera

Posts: 226 | From: London, England | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know this has become one of my favorites. Back in the day I really didn't want to see it at all. It was one of those tht was dreaded and then I ended up being very pleasantly surprised. I try and catch it whenever it is on, it is actually one that I don't have in my collection.

Probablly my favorite role for Ryan O'Neal. I really thought that Christopher McDonald was hot--the original Louie.

Great pick to discuss!!! Thanks!!

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maniac
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 3858

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for maniac   Author's Homepage   Email maniac   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, yes, I'd completely forgotten about this one. Even the title "Chances Are" didn't ring any bells.

I never saw this movie in the cinema, I'm not sure it would have even made it to my one cinema town anyway. Like you, I first saw it on TV, probably mid-90's.

I hadn't seen it since, so out of curiosity I rented it tonight (only for the MSM factor, really). This was Mary Stuart Masterson's better period (from about 1985 to 1993). When she did some great work in movies which, for whatever reason as you mention, weren't bigger hits. That's not to say she hasn't done fine work in later movies, it's just that I don't think they were particularly good movies. (Story of her career, I think; fantastic talent, just never in the right movie, at the right time.)

Fortunately, I'd forgotten everything about the plot, other than the character dying early in the beginning, and his sole being reborn. It's a very clever story, a couple of plot twists, and a nice ending. I might have to add this one to my collection.

I thank you for making my evening. [Smile]

Posts: 17 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saint_in_London
Master Rewinder
Member # 2575

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Saint_in_London   Email Saint_in_London   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maniac, by the lack of people who have posted on this thread i think proves the point of how over looked this film is.(what ever the reason). As it is a good film.
Posts: 226 | From: London, England | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home