iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Anyone remembered seeing "Oliver and Company" when it originally came out?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone remembered seeing "Oliver and Company" when it originally came out?
Dodger
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 4051

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Dodger   Email Dodger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well i did back in 1988 living in Omaha Nebraska, i was 6 years old at the time and it was in the winter of 1988 that my mom and dad took me to see at a shopping mall theater, i loved it! i saw it two more times in other theaters even one more time after Christmas, i had some of the original merchandise like the Mcdonald's Finger Puppets, The Mcdonald's Singing Christmastree Ornuments, Pajamas, a Storybook, a Plastic Oliver figure from Sears, a Coloring Book, and a read-along book with cassette.

Unfortunately this movie never came on video and i sooo disappointed, but nevertheless i never forgotten about the movie, not even my mom and dad cause they still remembered the first words of the song "Why Should i Worry". Luckily back in 1996, i was 13 turning 14 that year when i read an article on Disney Channel magazine saying that "Oliver and Company" was returning to theaters since it's intial release, i was sooo excited cause a long lost missing piece of my childhood was coming back even some of my Junior high chums remembered seeing it at the movies when they were young and were p**** that it never came on video too. I saw the re-issued two times in a theater, i loved it again just like i did as a child and during that year it was also about time that it finally came on video after 9 years of waiting as i did bought it the first day it came out on video for the first time ( now i replaced it with the DVD since DVD is better than VHS).

I Still enjoy the movie as a fun entertaining comedy romp and a animated metaphore of the 80's in New York City, it also takes me back to my childhood days and the soundtrack is great too. Anyone thinks Rita the Afghan Setter is a hottie for a toon dog? well to me yes, better than the literally bitchy Georgette ( voiced by Bette Midler).

Hope Disney does a sequel which should be set in 1996 New York with Jenny the owner of Oliver all grown up into a gorgeous teen girl, Oliver as an adult, Syke's son as the bad guy, the existence of the internet and cellphones with some 1996 in-jokes like a Hunchback of Norte Dame poster ( since Disney owns O&C and Hunchback) and the voices of Bruce Campbell as Dodger, Jeffery Combs from Re-Animator or Blue Velvet's Kyle Maclachen as David Sykes, Jodi Benson as Jenny, Cheech Marin back as Tito, Tommy Chong as Tito's brother Roy, and Alan Arkin as Jenny's father.

Posts: 17 | From: Socorro, New Mexico. | Registered: Apr 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rainbowbrite22
Given the choice, Duckie would have been Luckie...
Member # 2288

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Rainbowbrite22   Author's Homepage   Email Rainbowbrite22   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey I remember going to see at the theater I lived in hobbs nm at the time and my parents took me and my little brother and after the movie we went to mcdonalds b/c you could get the oliver and co toys in the happy meal I remeber i got oliver i was so happy [Smile] sweet memories
Posts: 1270 | From: GA the peachie state :) | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
piratemoviefan12
Master Rewinder
Member # 2715

- posted      Profile for piratemoviefan12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I saw it in the theater. Pretty sure.

I know I use to see the TRAILER all the time when it was shown on a VHS tape for a movie I use to watch over and over. Can't remember what the main movie was, but I still remember seeing the trailer.

Posts: 133 | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did see this in the movie theatre. I was a teenager and I made my mom go with me.
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dodger
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 4051

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Dodger   Email Dodger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Were ya into Billy Joel Mamamiasweetpeaches back then or Cheech Marin or Bette Midler ( she was a big star back then)? and anyone else remembered the original merchandise like the Mcdonald's Christmas Tree Ornumnets that sing Etc?
Posts: 17 | From: Socorro, New Mexico. | Registered: Apr 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TresFoxy
Rewind Maestro
Member # 542

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TresFoxy   Email TresFoxy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok Dodger, maybe you parents lied to you and said it never came out on video because they were afraid you'd become obsessed!lol I'm just joking with ya there. But I do know it came out on video because I own the Disney released "Oliver and Company" I did see it in the theaters too and loved it. Since I loved it soo much when it came to video my parents got it for me and put it in my Easter basket. My parents didn't like giving us alot of candy so we would get a movie in our baskets. But....

"Why should I worry, why should I ccccaaaarrrreeee. I got the bee-bop connection there is rhythm in the aaiirr... " [Big Grin]

I think that is how the main song went...

Posts: 808 | From: MI, USA | Registered: Feb 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home