iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » best 80s movie studio opening?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: best 80s movie studio opening?
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My vote would have to go to Tri-Star's opening. The animation of the Pegasus running toward us, sprouting his (assuming it's a he) wings and vaulting over the star title matches beautifully with the overture as it crescendos up. A definite plus over the ident Tri-Star used in the 90s and today (even though I haven't seen a Tri-Star film in a couple of years). Your thoughts?
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Warner Brothers logo from the early 80s was a favorite of mine. It was the abstract W, first coming towards the screen in black-and-white with "Warner Brothers" on the bottom, and then going to a red screen where the logo stood still while the byline "A Warner Communications Company" appeared at the bottom.

I like the current Warner logo better, though. It opens with a shot of the studio as seen from above and then it ripples. A light shines and the shield arcs and then lands on the sky background. It's accompanied by a brief but beautiful reindition of the song "As Time Goes By", the "Casablanca" song that has pretty much become the song that defines Warner Brothers.

I've seen the Warner Brothers television logo at the end of several movies and a snatch of "As Time Goes By" plays over it. 80s movies I've seen the "As Time Goes By" logo at the end of include:

-"Innerspace"
-"Empire Of The Sun"
-"The Witches Of Eastwick"
-"Action Jackson"
-"Caddyshack II"
-"My Favorite Year"
-"Moving"
-"Above The Law"

I watch various 80s movies from Warner and then I imagine them playing the "As Time Goes By" logo at the end. I've imagined them using this logo at the end of:

-"Lethal Weapon"
-"Crossing Delancey"
-"Krush Groove"
-"The Goonies"
-"Electric Dreams"
-"Caddyshack"
-"Sesame Street Presents: Follow That Bird"
-"True Stories"

None of that has occurred yet, but I do think about it.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The MGM Lion was always very majestic

I also always liked 20th Century Fox's opening

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris:

Are you talking about the best opening scene in an 80's movie?

Or just the studio logo?

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
piratemoviefan12
Master Rewinder
Member # 2715

- posted      Profile for piratemoviefan12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Pegasus was aswesome. I always liked seeing that as a KID.

I also like the CANON intro's b/c it had that RAMBO-like music.

Posts: 133 | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mean the specific studio logo.

Other favorites of mine include the Orion Pictures open where the constellation becomes the O in Orion and spins out the rest of the title, the early 80s Columbia logo, where we go into the torch and it flashes out into the logo, and the first United Artists "UA" logo (frequently called the "Sad/Happy" logo from the music, which started out in low piano notes and ended in a vibrant full orchestral overture.

Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sam's post:
quote:
The MGM Lion was always very majestic...
Except for the opening of "Strange Brew"!

In the opening shot, the MGM Lion is drunk on beer and belches! The camera crew tracks to Bob & Doug McKenzie playing with the lion's tail! [Smile]

When I go to imdb.com, I like to look for the "Crazy Credits" links, to see which movies had their studio logos toyed around with! It shows that the movie studio has a sense of humor!

[Cool]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home