iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Which Rocky movie is your favorite?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Which Rocky movie is your favorite?
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last night Rocky 1 & 2 were on. I don't think I have ever seen the entire Rocky 2. Rocky 3- is Mr. T, and that one I don't like as much. I think my favorite is Rocky 4, because I think Sylvester Stallone looks his best in it, it is the one where Apollo dies-which is a bummer, and I love the song playing when he is cruising in his car ...right after Apollo dies, does anyone know the name of it?? It isn't Eye of the Tiger.
Rocky 3 & 4 on are AMC tonight.

I do love the music from the original Rocky. I have actually been to the steps he runs up in Philadelphia. I have no clue how people do it every day.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rocky III, IV & V were all lame attempts at trying to capitalize on a respected franchise. Granted they all made a ton of money but the storylines were weak and not very believable.

The first two movies were great and had a lot of emotion and really gripped the audience.

They would have been much better off if they stopped after Rocky II.

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lostboy
Rewind Curious
Member # 4006

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for lostboy   Author's Homepage   Email lostboy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i loved all the rockey`s bar number 5 it was awful
1&2 were very unique and 2 a degree inspiring( i spent months as a kid shadow boxing)
3&4 were more mainstream and entertaining(rocky4 had a kick *** soundtrack, in the car i`m sure it`s called "the burning hart" but i could be wrong)

Posts: 3 | From: durham | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrashesParties n TheValley
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rocky

3 & 4 were my fav's. I really don't watch any other Rocky's but the two i've just listed.

Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The song in the car was Burning Heart by Survivor. They are the same ones that sang Eye Of The Tiger.
I liked the 1st one the best. I think the first 2 are the only quality ones of the series. The only thing I liked about #3 was that it had Mr. T in it. I can't believe Sly is trying to make a Rocky 6. I can see it now... a fight breaks out during a nursing home bingo game and Rocky is challanged to a fight by a wheelchair bound granny. He goes on a strict diet of banannas and Ensure drinks to get into shape. In round one, Granny smacks him upside the head with her purse knocking his false teeth out. He's down for the count and so is the box office revenue.

Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RonaldMcdonaldMiller
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 3657

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for RonaldMcdonaldMiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rocky II in my opinion is the best. The underdog gets another chance at the heavyweight title and he wins it.
Posts: 27 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never saw Rocky 5, was his son it it?? I might have seen pieces of it and thought yuck...

Rocky 6...seriously?? He isn't planning on fighting in it is he???

From drinking Raw Eggs to Ensure...somewhere there has to be something better in between than either of those 2 things... [Confused]

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
You know what I did notice, is they played the end of Rocky 1 , at the beginning of Rocky 2, and Rocky 2 starts with them coming out of the fight from part 1, and they all have the same clothes on and everything, but Talia Shire's hair grew at least 3 inches, from the time she got out of the ring, and to the hospital.
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rocky I is the best movie because he loses the fight, but that does matter really because of "Yo Adrian". Rocky II is a fan favorite, because Rocky wins in the end. Rocky III was decent and Mr. T. "pities the fool" that doesn't vote it the best Rocky of all. [Cool]
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Does he loose??? I thought they tied....didn't he "go the distance"...that's all that mattered to him anyway, so I thought that means it was a draw.
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If a fight goes the distance then it gets turned over to the 3 judges at ringside to choose the winner
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ISIS asked about the first Rocky:
quote:
Does he lose??? I thought they tied....didn't he "go the distance"...that's all that mattered to him anyway, so I thought that means it was a draw.
There are usually no "draws" in boxing, unless the fight is stopped by the referee on some infraction.

As Sam Hain pointed out, if there is no clear-cut winner, then the three ringside judges must decide the winner. Usually, it is decided on the amount of punches thrown by each boxer, and the number of knockdowns (if any). The winner is chosen by those factors, and it's called a "technical knockout", or "winner by decision".

If it's real close, the defending champion is usually the winner. This means the challenger must try harder to beat him outright, preferably by a real knockout.

In the first "Rocky", Apollo Creed won by a technical knockout, a decision.

In the second "Rocky", Rocky wins when he gets up faster than Apollo does on the 10-count. But you very rarely see both fighters in a match getting knocked out at the same time.

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know why But I love #4 the best. Maybe it is because Dolph Lundgren is so hot!!!!! I also love the music of this one!!!!!! WOWOWOWOWOWOW

Least fav: Probablly 5, not realistic that a man of Rocky's presence would lose it all!! Did have a good final fight though!

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

The song when they are in the getting off the plane is "Burning Heart". The song when Rocky is driving is "No easy way out".

My favorite, hands down Rocky 2.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rocky 2 was the first one I ever saw, so that's my favourite, and 3 had hulk hogan and mr T in, so that was a good one, and they put 4 on tv the most.."if he dies he dies"...I still have trouble watching the Apollo v Drago fight....sob!! ...especially when they show the slo mo running up the beach man bonding, wave jumping.

But 5,......is...... (to quote Ronnie) "a huge slice of crap cake'....I mean...the italian stallion, has lost all his money, is brain damaged, still has Pauley living with him "GET YOUR OWN HOUSE!!!", and to top it all off, gets taken for a ride by a guy with a killer mullet!!!...although the "touch me and I'll sue"..."for what" quote is its saving grace.

Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a cinema purist: there's only one "Rocky" for me.

~Cuff & Link

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Actually tonight Rocky 3 & 4 is on AMC. I don't know why they skipped a night.

Last night Dolores Claiborne and Silence of the Lambs was on.

Brandon777
Master Rewinder
Member # 4014

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brandon777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rocky IV was the best IMO. The soundtrack was cool. "There's no easy way out...there's no short cut home" Who sang that? Robert Tepper?
Posts: 239 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rocky I - it had the most heart, and was a genuinely good film.

All the others got successively more cynical. They were all entertaining (except 5), but they became marketing exercises as much as movies.

Just look at IV: ‘Rocky beats Ivan’. It was fast and colourful and had a soundtrack they must’ve worked on as much as the film, but it was like watching a parade; lots of razzmatazz, a speech about nations, and then you leave wondering why you feel queasy.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCU
Master Rewinder
Member # 2851

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for JCU   Email JCU   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sam Hain 4:20:
Rocky III, IV & V were all lame attempts at trying to capitalize on a respected franchise. Granted they all made a ton of money but the storylines were weak and not very believable.

How exactly was the plot of III weak and unbelievable? Two former heavyweight boxing champions come together to defeat a foe. Seems decent enough to me. Then it seems even better when it was the ****y, Uncle Sam coin throwin' master of disaster, count of montifisto Apollo who trains Rocky even though a few years prior they were bitter enemies.
Posts: 115 | From: Northeastern PA | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me its a tossup between 1 and 2. The rest lost a lot when they killed off Mickey. Still, you've got admire the series for what it orignially brought; that every person has their moment. Maybe he'll find it again in Part 68.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
piratemoviefan12
Master Rewinder
Member # 2715

- posted      Profile for piratemoviefan12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ROCKY VI, whenver it comes out!!!

I think I like rocky 5, not much of a rocky fan.

I very much prefer RAMBO...

Let's hope ROCKY 6 will be a success and lead to a RAMBO 4.

Posts: 133 | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
piratemoviefan12
Master Rewinder
Member # 2715

- posted      Profile for piratemoviefan12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DELETED: double post!
Posts: 133 | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The original and 'Rocky III' (Mr T, Hulk Hogan, the Brut ad and regaining "The eye of the Tiger” played out to, what else?, but Survivor’s ‘Eye Of The Tiger’, gotta love it).

'Rocky VI: Puncher's Chance'...apparently, bad idea in my opinion, personally, I'd like to see Stallone make 'Rambo IV: First Blood Part III'
(only if they go with my idea for the franchise of course, so Sly: call my people and we'll talk [Wink]

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raggedyman
Master Rewinder
Member # 4065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for raggedyman   Email raggedyman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love ROCKY. the first is a fantastic slice of 70's cinema. BUT! ROCKY IV is one of the greatest films of all time!!! it's just like watching an extended music video and when HEARTS ON FIRE plays it makes me want to start training and run up a mountain! GO ROCKY!!
Posts: 241 | From: London, England | Registered: Apr 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home