iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Andrew McCarthy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Andrew McCarthy
kat27
Master Rewinder
Member # 3979

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kat27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is anyone else still holding on to their love for Andrew McCarthy or am I eerily alone on this one? My husband really hopes that there are others.
Posts: 327 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sister digs him. I think that was her 80s celeb the knees went weak for.
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never did anything for me...too wimpy...I liked an '80s guy with some meat on him, like Mel Gibson.
Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's not an obvious honey...and not my usual type, but there is certainly something about him that would so give him the licence to get some!!!
Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBrayFan
Senior Rewinder
Member # 3831

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for JimBrayFan   Author's Homepage   Email JimBrayFan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He was perfect opposite James Spader. They made a wonderful kind of cinematic pair.
Posts: 90 | From: Long Island | Registered: Feb 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andrew McCarthy always seemed miscasted to me in "Pretty In Pink". I liked him in the movie "Weekend At Bernie's", but overall I'm not a huge fan. Maybe that's why I thought the Duck had him beat and Andie was such the fool.

This is a cool tribute site Kat, you should check it out. Is that your photo album with all the hearts on it?

The Kat's Meow...I Mean McCarthy

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBrayFan
Senior Rewinder
Member # 3831

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for JimBrayFan   Author's Homepage   Email JimBrayFan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could see better casting but I think they needed a really bland, spineless guy to go up against Steff-who was this big jerk-and Duckie who was strong as the friend. McCarthy does spineless pretty good.

But the Spader/McCarthy duo was also memorable in Less Than Zero and [gulp] Mannequin.

Posts: 90 | From: Long Island | Registered: Feb 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rainbowbrite22
Given the choice, Duckie would have been Luckie...
Member # 2288

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Rainbowbrite22   Author's Homepage   Email Rainbowbrite22   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought he was a hottie [Wink] I like he s look in pretty in pink [Smile]
Posts: 1270 | From: GA the peachie state :) | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hipstersmom I am in total agreement with you. He did seem really wimpy. He never was able to dominate a role. I mean he didn't stand up for himself until the end in Pretty in Pink. He was just always so reserved. He was in a movie in the early 00's where he played a bad guy and it was just really bad!!! He was typecast for sure but in a good way.
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He can do reserved strong if need be. I think the adulterous murdering science teacher he did on Monk last season was one of the better villains they've concocted so far. He played well off Tony Shalhoub, especially with that classic bit with the coffee pitchers.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw him on LAW & ORDER as a bad guy and I believed it.
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had trouble recognizing him in the movie "Stag". He was more than scary looking.
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was something about him in St. Elmo's.....that intrigued me. They way he fell over Ally and took her away from Judd....hmmm?

Valley your link intrigued me so I gotta ask... am I bad for laughing really hard at the hearts and lips photo album???? haha..... [Big Grin]

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Muffy......definatley!!!! He didnt get me at Mannequin, and the Duck got me in PIP but St Elmos fire.....SIIIIIGGGGH!!!
Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kat27
Master Rewinder
Member # 3979

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kat27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tribute site not mine - sorry. I haven't looked at it but I'm sure that it's really good. Anyway, my justification for being totally in awe of Andrew McArthy (despite many more beautiful actors coming along - have a bit of a thing for Judd Nelson but that is a different story) is this: I always thought that he was cute because he was always that guy at school that you were in love with - he wasn't too cool and too gorgeous that he was totally out of your league but he was just that little bit too gorgeous and just that little bit too cool. And I think that is what worked in Pretty in Pink - he was out there but attainable, whereas James Spader was never going to be attainable. Same thing in Less than Zero. He was the kind of guy that gave you 'bad boy cred' without actually being a 'bad boy'. His character was the same in St. Elmo's Fire - he was the guy next door with an edge........the kind of guy that you might just leave your partner for............
Posts: 327 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ERIC 31
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1793

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for ERIC 31   Author's Homepage   Email ERIC 31   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard that in the original ending for Pretty In Pink, Andie ended up with Duckie and not Blaine. They ran it for test audiences and they hated that ending. That's how we got the one you've all seen.

I'd love to see that original version.

Posts: 87 | From: NOR CAL | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
Yeah, I've often wondered why they dont release a dvd with both endings.
Anna Sullivan
Master Rewinder
Member # 4010

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Anna Sullivan   Email Anna Sullivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Katherine Jane Sullivan....this is quite obviously your post. Only you would still be declaring your love for Andrew McCarthy. the Kat27 username was also obviously a reference to your age. In case you haven't figured it out...this is your sister....equally as sad....posting about a past we'll never recapture.
Posts: 232 | From: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kat27
Master Rewinder
Member # 3979

1 Update

Member Rated:
Thank you honey you suck!
Smayt Shatner
Rewind Shaft -Can u dig it?
Member # 1500

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Smayt Shatner   Email Smayt Shatner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah sibling rivalry over Andrew McCarthy.
Diggit [Big Grin]

Posts: 1201 | From: under everyone's bed...watching and waiting. | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home