iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Ben Stein speaks out! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ben Stein speaks out!
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It’s a wonder I haven’t abandoned all my ideals, they seem so absurd and impractical. Yet I cling to them because I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.

It’s utterly impossible for me to build my life on a foundation of chaos, suffering and death. I see the world being slowly transformed into a wilderness, I hear the approaching thunder that, one day, will destroy us too, I feel the suffering of millions. And yet, when I look up at the sky, I somehow feel that everything will change for the better, that this cruelty too shall end, that peace and tranquility will return once more"

Anne Frank, 1944

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent quote, Hipster. [Smile]

Things can only get better. I mean, I might be unaware of my surroundings, but I'm pretty sure that my town isn't as bad as all that. Isis, I'm not sure what the people are like in your town, but the people around me, the people in the stores . . . sure, some of them aren't nice, you'll never be somewhere where everyone is nice, but they treat me very well for the most part. Bummer that you got yelled at. [Frown] Although, from my perspective, it's actually quite funny to picture you all calm and being like, "Should I move the water from the bottom of the cart to be scanned?" and the lady freaking out like, "NOOOOO!" like it's a bomb or something.

Well, I'm not going to bother getting into this anymore for now, but I think it's nice to find the humor in things that go wrong. Mostly after it happens, though, 'cause I be pretty annoyed if I got yelled at, too.

Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isis said: Obviously I am not the only person on the planet that feels the same exact way I do, because Ben Stein is feeling it too, so I don't care who he is, what he has done in acting, he can see what I do, and says it exactly how I see it, so if he sees it, then I know it isn't just me, of course I know it isn't just me and Ben either, I actually know alot of people who think that way, and alot more people who are really coming around to complaining about stuff more than I ever did...my own mother and husband say stuff every day about the way the world is, and my son will say there's nothing on tv, and if I have the radio on a new station, just because there is nothing else on-he'll say can you turn it off please, because he doesn't even want to hear it either.

You must have alot of friends with extremely negative attitudes then. Sure, there are some bad things in the world, but face it there's always gonna be. You act as if NOTHING bad either came out of or happened in the 80s. As I have said before, I am as big of an 80's fan on here as anybody, but there were bad things to come out of it. You never mention the sexually risque type movies that came out in the 80s, and believe me there were plenty of them. You may as well live in a plastic bubble, cause there is always gonna be things in the world bad

Gives Isis the "Extreme Negativity of the Year Reward"

Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, "Extreme Negativity of the Year Award." LOL...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

Isis said: Bigfoot-April Fool's Day is totally uplifting, it is all a hoax, they are just having a great weekend with all their friends, it isn't even really scary-it isn't real life stuff. I love that movie, it makes me happy when spring comes, I love the idea of all of them having a weekend together

You are completely conflicting what you say in this statement. Even if it is a hoax, it in in no way uplifting. I liked this movie, but to say it is uplifting is ludicrous. Every movie in a sense is a hoax in that we, as moviegoers, are transported to a make believe world where anything can happen. Of course, what I say will not matter since you are always right anyways. You state your beliefs in one post, and then state something that immediately contradicts your beliefs in the next post. If I go by your belief system, then April Fool's Day is uplifting since it promotes premarital sex and alcohol, but Million Dollar Baby is not because it is a modern movie and contains a controversial topic. After all, having a closed mind on all things modern truly makes one ignorant. And Simon Cowell is on a reality show. He makes money by acting like a scoundrel. He is basically a paid actor. All the judges are. It's called acting. This would also make the character in April Fool's Day played by Biff from Back to the Future a scoundrel as well since he consumes alcohol in the movie. At least that is how I see it if I use your thought process in my interpretation of all things modern versus all things past...

Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sits and waits for round three*
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MotleyRulz-for someone who can't stand Oprah Winfrey, you have some nerve calling me negative.

Obviously you are no where close to using my thought process, cause everything you said, was nothing that came out of my mind, that's fer sure.

What I meant by a "hoax"...is that nobody was actually killed, it was all a joke.

If Simon Cowell is acting like someone other than himself- then that isn't "reality" is it?

[ 19. March 2005, 05:45: Message edited by: ISIS ]

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isis, most reality shows aren't representative of reality. [Wink] Just thought I'd point that out. I mean, reality shows have been known to hire actors to reenact things they didn't catch on camera--People have been hired on multiple reality shows to ACT like jerks--they're being characters, though, because some of them are actually normal people, y'know.
Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part of ISIS' post:
quote:
...I think Ben Stein is right, I would love to write him a letter...
Go to his website at:
http://www.benstein.com

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know ...I think what it is about Simon Cowell...is he hates his name...I mean...come on... anyone with the name Simon has to be a bitter person in life- [Razz] [Wink] [Razz]
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Thanks Steven, I just sent him a letter , and complimented him, and told him about the site, and said he should come check out this thread.

I sure hope he does.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Ben Stein wrote me back...

Here's what he said, I copied and pasted it...I think a little says alot! Thanks Steven!!

Here it is:

I could not agree more.

Many thanks, Ben

Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ISIS:
You know ...I think what it is about Simon Cowell...is he hates his name...I mean...come on... anyone with the name Simon has to be a bitter person in life- [Razz] [Wink] [Razz]

a dig that shows a total lack of class on your part.

there is a simon that post here you know.

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

quote:
Originally posted by ISIS:
Ben Stein wrote me back...

Here's what he said, I copied and pasted it...I think a little says alot! Thanks Steven!!

Here it is:

I could not agree more.

Many thanks, Ben

I emailed Kate Winslet and she wrote me back to

heres a small part that I copied and pasted it

I think you're hot too

Love
Kate

Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

Isis sad: MotleyRulz-for someone who can't stand Oprah Winfrey, you have some nerve calling me negative.

Whats that have to do with the price of eggs in China? The Oprah thing was only one thing I was negative on. Your negative on ANY and EVERY thing modern. Once again my point is proven that your arguements are weak and pointless. I live in a small town too, but I only see a small rise in violence. Maybe you have too much time on your hands since it seems that all modern happenings you discuss constantly involve negativity. You constantly beguile people (i.e., the Simon comment), and then wonder why people's attitudes change on you. If someone does not share your beliefs, you belittle them, and refuse to even consider their point on anything. Posts like these get old, but it also gets old of seeing you beguile people, flipping their switch, sitting back, and watching them get booted. I honestly think you get some sort of thrill out of that. I'm done with this post...

Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Motley,

Don't sweat the Simon attack thing. Even on threads that I don't post on Isis has this constant need to take swipes at me.

I can't help it if she feels the need to draw me into conversation...

Noms [Cool]

ps. Isis, now that Ben has e-mailed you does this mean that we can look forward to you citing him as one of your friends in the near future.. [Razz]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I originally didn't respond to this topic because in all honesty... I couldn't give a care about Ben Stein. Then I saw 40 replies, and I figured there had to be some fighting going on. Nothing like a good fight to start my Sunday.

We have a bunch of people arguing about stuff they have no control over. Or maybe they do. Don't watch it. Then you can't complain about it. People are going to make controversial movies regardless, AND mostly because people are going to watch them because they are.

Ben Stein has the right to his opinion, like everyone else. If Isis agrees, great for her. I am not saying that I do.

I refuse to even look at a post that talks about Simon Cowell, unless it's something bad about him. I admire his ability to be honest, if he is being honest, but otherwise, when I watch American Idol, I agree with him 95% of the time. But most cases, I just ignore him because he isn't an important person in my life.

If Ben Stein doesn't like any movies from the last 20 years, or Isis doesn't like any movies from the last 15, it really doesn't make a difference because they are going to make movies and music for a long time. There will be good ones and bad ones, but nothing is going to compare to the ones that you grew up liking. If you think about it, there are more kids movies out now then there were 20 years ago. Pixar might have made movies with a few adult jokes here and there, but all in all, kids and adults could watch the same movies now and the adults can watch them without getting bored out of their faces.

My bottom line... Just stop it. You, yourself can't do anything about things you don't want to watch except turn off the TV. Haven't we figured that out by now. The first amendment had turned against us about 12 years ago when NYPD blue first started with curses. It hasn't digressed at all since then. There was a time when HBO only played R-rated movies at 8pm or later, that is gone too. Folks, deal with it. Everyone here is online, you can get a good review of a movie days before you see it.

With that, I would like to go see the Ring 2. I like knowing that a movie might be good or bad, but it's going to take me viewing it to decide that.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MotleyRulz:

Posts like these get old, but it also gets old of seeing you beguile people, flipping their switch, sitting back, and watching them get booted. I honestly think you get some sort of thrill out of that. I'm done with this post...

Contrary to belief, Isis has not been involved with why anyone has been booted off of here. So who's the one pointing the finger now?

I'll be the first to say I don't agree with where these postings go. Everyone has an opinion and it starts out a good debate, then it mushrooms into a heated argument. Why?..because everyone takes it personal now. Maybe it's because nobody can let it go or feels like they need to get in the last word...not really sure. All I do know is that in the end, Everyone including myself look bad.

I will say this though, this board is alot like life....the bad stuff gets all the attention. You can post a cool positive topic and get almost no replies, but start a controversial posting and the topic lights up like Chevy Chase's House in "Christmas Vacation".

For anyone new, this stuff happens quite often, but we all still love the 80's, just for different reasons. [Cool]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Valley said
quote:
I will say this though, this board is alot like life....the bad stuff gets all the attention. You can post a cool positive topic and get almost no replies, but start a controversial posting and the topic lights up like Chevy Chase's House in "Christmas Vacation".

Amen.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a good one Sam.
Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
It is true what Valley said. I have started hundreds of threads, probably thousands by now, just on memories of the "good" times of the 80's, and all the things about it that I loved, and why I am here in the first place. Very few people comment on those things ever...maybe the people who never ever post on a subject about all the fun and good things, have never had any fun happen to them ever.

Because...it is true when someone wants to get upset because I say life isn't the same...I have never said I hate life now, and my life stinks...the only thing I complain about is how negative people are, and when people start flipping out over it and taking it personally-they are the exact kind of example I am talking about-so there is no way for certain people on here to ever "understand" me, because we are living polar opposite lives. Sometimes I wonder why some people are here, because they don't have anything to say unless it is negative, not about life...but in general- to anybody, they can't even say hello to new people, or ever be complimentitive about anything-unless it has to do with themself.

The stuff I am complaining about isn't all about the movies either...but I do think that movies are a reflection of the time period we are living in.

And none of what I said was to start a debate with any particular person, I was only giving my opinion on what Ben Stein said, just like everybody else did, and because I feel like he was getting slammed for no good reason, because I feel the same way he does. And I said about the news because that was the first I opened a paper in who knows how long, and that was all that was in there, was story after story after story, but yet on the back page they ran stories from 100 years ago- and those stories were comical and uplifting and that wasn't so long ago-if you read one of those stories and then read one from today, you absolutely can see where we have come in the world.

Ben Stein did send that reply...for Sam to tell me not to make fun of someone's name, but then he and Noms can make fun of me, and practically call me a liar, that is where both of them seem to think there are rules for them, and rules for everyone else on here.

Noms has called me names, has attacked my family, and said he feels sorry for me, and everyone around me, and has said shut up to me, and Sam follows right behind him, and I barely have ever personally attacked either one of them, and if I have..they sure can't take it.
And this is the first that I really have actually addressed what it is that they do.

I have left once to take a break, because of the very thing that Valley talked about, and that is how personal things get, mostly in the past-I never really cared...because I am not out to change anybody....I am just saying why I liked living in the 80's. And the reason it ends up going on and on, is because no matter what you say...someone is going to take what you said, and interput it how they want to see it, and that could be nothing like it was ever meant to be.

To me I don't like anger and the debating...but I do like to see people interacting. How come good things can't bring out the same response in everyone??

[ 20. March 2005, 11:17: Message edited by: ISIS ]

Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hang on let's get something straight here...

I have never attacked your family or called you names yet you continue to take swipes at me even in threads that I have not contributed to.

Did you not say to me in a PM that some of the things I take my kids to are sick??? If that's not a personal attack on me then I don't know what is.

I have no problem with a healthy debate but let's not twist things to make you sound perfect and me the bad guy...

Noms [Cool]

[ 21. March 2005, 06:36: Message edited by: Noms, The Anti-Goof ]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna Sullivan
Master Rewinder
Member # 4010

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Anna Sullivan   Email Anna Sullivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah....I remember April Fool's. It scared the bejesus out of me when I first saw it...even after the ending. Not a fan of Ben Stein's words. It seems that, unlike the timeless Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Mr Stein has not transgressed the generational barrier. By Ben Stein's rationale, perhaps we should all condemn Ferris Bueller's Day Off for inciting delinquency and no honouring thy father and thy mother!! Really, that's the problem with being ultra-conservative, you are bound to be offended by too darn much.
Posts: 232 | From: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home