iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » For my first movie topic in a while, I bring up "Times Square"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: For my first movie topic in a while, I bring up "Times Square"
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This movie came out in 1980, but I'll have to double-check to see if the copyright dates match up, since the trailer says that the movie had a 1979 copyright date. I'll check my DVD later and if I'm wrong about it coming out in 1980, I'll ask a mod to move it to the 70s forum.

Having said that, I must say this is one of the better punk movies of the late-70s/early-80s period. Since in recent weeks I've been a punk with attitude problems, I can fully relate to the character of Nicky (Robin Johnson). She's a gravel-voiced, cigarette-smoking, foul-mouthed rocker chick, and she's only 15. She meets Pamela (Trini Alvarado), the emotionally wrecked daughter of a lower-level New York City government employee, and the two bond on the streets, becoming punk rockers who chuck TVs off the tops of apartment buildings.

I like this movie because of the performances of Robin Johnson and Trini Alvarado, two actresses with good singing voices who never achieved the fame they should have. Tim Curry is great in his supporting role as a pirate-radio DJ who urges the girls on to further success. The soundtrack is to die for, with a grand variety of artists from Roxy Music and Lou Reed to The Ramones and a duet between Barry Gibb and Marcy Levy (she and .38 Special's Max Carl would perform "Come And Follow Me" from "Short Circuit" in 1986).

All hail the Sleaze Sisters!

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...The Rock Steady Flamethrower

[ 14. March 2005, 20:47: Message edited by: rocksteadyflamethrower ]

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A very odd film. It doesn't quite work and yet it remains likeable.

You're right about the Soundtrack, it's a classic!

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never even heard of it. I will have to check it out on imdb.com
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home