iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » When video stores go out of business and you can get videos dirt cheap!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: When video stores go out of business and you can get videos dirt cheap!
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few weeks ago my Mom told me the video store in her neighborhood was going out of business. It slipped my mind but I ended up in the old hood last night and spent $100 bucks on videos: about $3- a pop!
I got mostly old horror flicks:
NIGHT OF THE SCARECROW
BLACK ROSES
CHOPPING MALL
VAMP
ZOMBIE HIGH
to name a few.
I've seen a few of these but somehow missed a few.
They also had PHANTASM III and IV and PUMPKINHEAD which I might go back for next week.
The bad news is since I waited a few weeks I missed out on the real popular titles.
Another bad thing is they are all vhs...not dvd...but I still have 3 decent vhs players so who cares!!!
I'm so pleased with my new found fortune. I really got an adrenilen rush in the store picking up all the old movies I love so dear!

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is Black Roses??? Is it any good??

I have done that a few times too, that's when you get the best movies. I have been to at least 3 places that went out of buisness and bought up a ton, I wish back then I had would have known that I should have bought everything.

I found Silent Scream at a place going out of buisness, it was just by chance too, my husband knew the woman who owned it, and we just saw her out and decided to stop and say hi, and she said she was having a sale in her garage from her video store, and I had been looking for years for that movie. I bought it and got it home, and saw the tape was ripped off the reel, but I fixed it with scotch tape, and it worked like a charm. I thought no way did I find this movie after all this time, to be so close to watching it, and not be able to.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The part where Peaches began with:
quote:
A few weeks ago my Mom told me the video store in her neighborhood was going out of business...
I get sad when I hear that a video store that is NOT named Blockbuster or Hollywood go out of business! [Frown]

It seems that the independent neighborhood "Mom & Pop" stores just can't keep up with the biggies. Back in the 80's, I used to rent from those kind of stores all the time. Today, it's getting increasingly scarce.

You can get good deals when a store is having a "going out of business" or "clearance" sale. But chances are, those video stores still carry mostly VHS and not DVDs.

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dont feel bad...it was actually a WESTCOAST video!
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LONNIE
Senior Rewinder
Member # 3934

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for LONNIE   Email LONNIE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I go to blockbuster.com and pay ten dollars for unlimited use what a deal
Posts: 91 | From: ohio | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrashesParties n TheValley
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those little Mom & Pop stores have/had the best Horror Movies in town!!!!. Back in the day, it was sooooh FUN to go to your local video store (before Blockbuster Video & Hollywood Video) and rent some VHS movies. Now-a-days it's just not the same [Frown] when you rent videos....beside i really don't rent movies anymore,i'll just buy it or watch it on cable.
Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joker
Master Rewinder
Member # 3840

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for joker   Email joker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this just one of the few things to get a uge video collection with out paying a furtune the other things i have done besides tape off tv was 4 years ago around thanksgiving time i local grocie store decided to get out of the movie rental biness so i bought tones of tapes it was a pretty good selction for a grocie store the other thing i have done sometimes in the era i live in in the summer time and sometimes doring thanksgiving places like block buster and hollywood video will clean out thair ware houses and sell tapes dirt cheep i have bought a tone of tapes that way as far as dvds go i like them but i wood much have the orignal vhs releese rather than the dvd i know in some cases this is not always posible so i will by the dvd brand new but if i had a choice i wood take the orignal top gun over the relesed top gun dvd any day of the week just like i perfer the orignal music as to aposed remasters i like the orignal van halen cds over the remastered cds but if i had to i will settle for the remaster virson but i do pefor the orignals over the relesees anyday of the week as far as renting movies i dont do that anymore i by the dvd or watch it on tv i like the mom and pop video stores over the big name chains any day of the week i do miss those days of going to a locial video store on a friday night though and after the movie talk on the phone is what i use to do back in the 80s
Posts: 307 | Registered: Feb 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

All of the West Coast Video's on Staten Island used to be called Palmer Video, and yes, they all went out of business a long time ago.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
I agree that the Mom & Pop stores have the oldies we wanna see, where as the WEST COAST, BLOCKBUSTER, HOLLYWOOD videos have all that new Ben Affleck crap!
Oh well.

ISIS...I think I saw BLACK ROSES in the 80s but nothing about it really sticks out in my mind. I think RHODES brought it up one day and said it was worth seeing again so when I saw it for $3- I decided to give it another chance. I dont remember it being anything great though.
Its funny: they had a little shelf in the store with what they considered "rare" videos, alittle pricier. They had APRIL FOOLS DAY. How rare is that really? Dont we all own that already???

mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
..........Oh, I see..... "APRIL FOOLS DAY is very rare because all ofd the people on the 80s MOVIE REWIND greedily snatched up all the available copies". I see.
piratemoviefan12
Master Rewinder
Member # 2715

- posted      Profile for piratemoviefan12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer to use NETFLIX...

I hate VHS and will never go back, but glad you were able to get some old goodies.

However,

I did a search on the movies you listed...

Some of the one's you listed are already available on DVD.

Chopping Mall
 -

Vamp
 -

Phantasm IV
 -

Pumkinhead
 -

[ 08. March 2005, 00:40: Message edited by: Nick ]

Posts: 133 | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
Yeah but at $3 a pice I could not gho wrong. Im not ready to buy the $20 dvds yet!

(I also have a teen nephew Im giving my old vhs horror to whenever I upgrade to dvd...so even if I DO get those titles on dvd I can just pass on my vhs to him)

piratemoviefan12
Master Rewinder
Member # 2715

- posted      Profile for piratemoviefan12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just included those links to amazon so people could check the info out.

You can find those dvds for less elsewhere.

DeepDiscountDVD.com has pumpkinhead and phantasm IV for less than $10. I'll bet you could find the others elsewhere.

Whatever works for you...

Since you said you don't have DVD yet, I guess so?

I LOVE NOT HAVING TO REWIND!!!

Posts: 133 | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jomc810
Rewind Curious
Member # 3941

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for jomc810   Email jomc810   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the DVD version of the movies that are released, clearer picture, better sound, however, I would rather buy on VHS. DVD's are too fragile and get scratched to easy. I have 100's of VHS, and 1000+ dvd's, and I am temped to go back to getting all VHS. I have atleast 3 copies of each of my fav's because I watch them so much they become scratched.
I even bought the DVD Doctor to repair, What a waste of money!!!!

Posts: 6 | From: CT | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
BLACK ROSES REVIEW:
ISIS, Don't bother with BLACK ROSES. We watched it last night and it REALLY doesnt hold up well. Its one of those movies from the 80s that you watch and say "Geez, did this EVER look cool????"
Its about the demonic heavy metal band coming to a small town to kick off their tour. All the grown-ups are trying to call off the concert. At the first show the grown ups attend and the band comes out looking normal and sing a nice normal song. The adults leave and they break out the leather and start singing the a**-kicking songs. The lead singer is a demon and he sort of brainwashes the kids into becoming "bad". Like start out fighting and rebelling (and..GASP!...dressing all in black! The horrors!) and by the end of the flick they are killing people. The teacher who really CARES saves the day.
Nothin you havent already seen before...and really CHEESY special effects.....

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home